OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XI - We Got A Soccer Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dangit Notre Dame. Just....DAMNIT.

Wanted to see Kentucky LOSE.

Mike Golic is going to be sore Monday morning.
Don't worry, Wisconsin is gonna get it done. I'm sure you'd all have mixed feelings about that!
He will also be banned from any post season play.... Unlikely, but .... I think the use of PED's in sport is still rampant. The financial rewards are simply too great, and the leagues have litle incentive to try hard to catch users.

The only way to remove PEDs is a lifetime ban on the first positive. Seriously players do it because they always know they are going to have multiple chances. Look at Ryan Braun. He did it, lied, got away with it on a technicality, then got caught. He's making $10+ million this year and beyond. Why do we reward this behavior?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
so you'd pay the guy 54 million the next few years and not get a single inning pitched from him?

Yup. You wanna cheat? **** you. Besides, he's not being paid while suspended. I'd also move for a CBA change, that if you do get caught, your contract can be terminated and get zilch. Clearly the suspension length ins't cleaning it up, so hit them in the damn wallet

ChexLeMeneux

May 15, 2010
Yup. You wanna cheat? **** you. Besides, he's not being paid while suspended. I'd also move for a CBA change, that if you do get caught, your contract can be terminated and get zilch. Clearly the suspension length ins't cleaning it up, so hit them in the damn wallet
Something needs to be done. He basically got rewarded for taking PED's.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013

He's still gonna get paid 48 million over the life of his contract, well worth it to cheat if your a player. Like you said, if MLB wants PEDs gone, they need to void contracts completely.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

I like this idea. I would certainly cut him if it wasn't such a big financial commitment for a low-spending team.

So now we've signed Pelfrey, Santana, Nolasco the past few years. Great signings. :clap:

At least Hughes worked out.

Slick Willy*

Ervin Sanatana tested positive for PED's, and will start off the season with an 80 game suspension.

way to impress your new employers, Ervin!

Does this mean we pay him during this time?

What are the chances there are any stipulations in his contract that say if you use PEDs you're not owed anything?

Slick Willy*

Opening day today. Noon start game against the Tigers.

I honestly think we might be worse than last year, if that's possible.

Think about it.

Royals will be hungrier after coming so close last year
Tigers will probably be the best in the ALC
Chicago will be better
Cleveland will be about the same or better
New manager in Molitor in which he has no track record
Entire new coaching staff
Ervin Santana suspension right out of the gates (and even worse that it happened so close to opening day, and not back in February which we could have at least gathered ourselves)

So, yeah, honestly...we could actually be worse than last year, and maybe the worst team in the entire AL.

I'm sorry, but I'm a realist.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I never had any expectations for the Twins this season. These few years are pretty much a lull between when the Twins were good a few years ago and when all our young prospects get to the major leagues in the next season or two. I'll still watch them now and then, but I certainly won't go out of my way to catch a game.

Losing Santana was just the nail in the coffin for 100 losses.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, the lineup looks awful. No reason to watch, really. Dozier and Perkins are the closest things we have to superstars, which is pretty bloody sad. I like watching Santana and Vargas bat. The CF position is atrocious... guys like Hermann and Nunez scream minor leaguer, to me.

I think Ryan has to retire. Was good at one time, but I think he's past it. Feel sorry for Molitor. No way he has any success with the crap that is on the field.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The Twins are rebuilding. Who realistically expected them to be good this year? Ryan had to undo the complete mess that Smith left them in.

Wait until Sano, Buxton, Meyer and Berrios come up and then Gordon and Stewart a couple years behind them.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
^We've been saying that for four years now. Sick of 'waiting' for some of these guys...Alex Meyer is like 25 years old.

Slick Willy*

Yeah, the lineup looks awful. No reason to watch, really. Dozier and Perkins are the closest things we have to superstars, which is pretty bloody sad. I like watching Santana and Vargas bat. The CF position is atrocious... guys like Hermann and Nunez scream minor leaguer, to me.

I think Ryan has to retire. Was good at one time, but I think he's past it. Feel sorry for Molitor. No way he has any success with the crap that is on the field.

Suzuki was the only of the Twins (was Perkins, can't remember) to make the all star team last year. Santana and Vargas were bright spots last year, but who knows what they'll do henceforth.

Mauer will rebound - there's no doubt in my mind he'll bat .300+ this season. Hughes led the entire majors in least walks, if I recollect. Those are the "bright spots" or possible "bright spots" to me, at least.

PS I really think Hughes is my favorite player on the team at this point. Wouldn't mind getting his jersey or having one of mine re-lettered with his 45.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
^We've been saying that for four years now. Sick of 'waiting' for some of these guys...Alex Meyer is like 25 years old.

Yeah, rebuilding in baseball takes longer. You draft guys, even college guys and they typically need at minimum two years in the minors. High school players typically need more like five.

Billy Mays Here*

Baseball is starting now? Yeah, that's about how much I pay attention to it anymore.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
seriously, I used to enjoy opening day. I even watched some other games in the league that weren't the Twins. The Twins play the last four years has soured me on the entire game of baseball so much that I hardly know who plays for who anymore. It's sad...the franchise is a complete joke.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
seriously, I used to enjoy opening day. I even watched some other games in the league that weren't the Twins. The Twins play the last four years has soured me on the entire game of baseball so much that I hardly know who plays for who anymore. It's sad...the franchise is a complete joke.

Yep, same here. Just don't have the same enthusiasm for baseball as I did when the Twins were good.

Although, I did join a fantasy baseball league this year, so maybe that will reignite my enthusiasm for the game.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
And, I like it because it's a nice alternative to the craziness of hockey...sit down have it on in the other room, watch here and there. No halftime, just a constant flow of relaxing outdoor sport. Man, I just hope they call up the prospects this year so it gives a reason to tune in.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Honestly, I think Ryan jumped ship because he knew there was going to be a mess, then came back when everything was in tatters and there are little to no expectations.

It's a bit like what Walter Smith with the team formerly known as Rangers, except he actually won with them, then left they dipped in form, then came back when they "needed him" got them back to glory then left and they tanked again this time out of existence. He actually did things for them though, but left when he knew they were screwed TWICE.

Either way, I think it's problems from the top-down, and it won't change any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad