Nolan Patrick, Part 2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just give both of them time. When you consistently create scoring chances, the goals tend to come in bunches.
Patrick has great hands, when he gets stronger he'll be able to hold his ground in front of the net and become a goal scoring machine.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've been reluctant to type this ,because i am not a fan of his. But am i really g0ing to have to be the first one to make the Toews Comparison?

The play is similar, and Like toews patrick has no weakness. 19, winnipeg, toews is his mentor, we just need our patrick kane now.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I mean a Toews/Bergeron career would be incredible from Patrick. I can see it, but that's on the optimistic side. I think we'd all sign up for 18-22 goals, 30-45 assists from Nolan over the next couple of years. After that maybe he gets into PP1 and plays 19 mins a game and puts up bigger numbers.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I mean a Toews/Bergeron career would be incredible from Patrick. I can see it, but that's on the optimistic side. I think we'd all sign up for 18-22 goals, 30-45 assists from Nolan over the next couple of years. After that maybe he gets into PP1 and plays 19 mins a game and puts up bigger numbers.

few if any player has had the career that toews has had . captained 3 stanley cup teams, 2 olympic gold medal teams,. I am not talking about career wise just style wise.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
They both just can't finish, so many 5 star chances missed! The only complaint I have regarding Patrick is that his shot is not as lethal as it looked in Junior. His playmaking and skating and board work have improved dramatically since xmas. He's so young he's improving so rapidly. I still think he compares well to Joe Thornton
I think his shot will come along, he just needs to utilize it more often. His release is lightning quick. Sometimes I have no idea how he can get such a good shot off in tight spots. I think once he snipes one he'll gain confidence in his shot and not look back.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think his shot will come along, he just needs to utilize it more often. His release is lightning quick. Sometimes I have no idea how he can get such a good shot off in tight spots. I think once he snipes one he'll gain confidence in his shot and not look back.

this. Getting shots off is what you want to see from young guys. It is one of the hardest things about transitioning to the nhl. When you dominate in junior you never worry about getting your shot off , its more about getting the right shot off. In the nhl, if you have a window you have to shoot

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I see more Eric Staal, solid solid solid, but fewer goals maybe 20-25 per year and twice that in assists.

Reactions: tymed

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They both just can't finish, so many 5 star chances missed! The only complaint I have regarding Patrick is that his shot is not as lethal as it looked in Junior. His playmaking and skating and board work have improved dramatically since xmas. He's so young he's improving so rapidly. I still think he compares well to Joe Thornton

I would be more concerned if those guys (and Sanheim to a lesser extent) weren’t scoring but also weren’t creating scoring chances. But they are creating the latter and that is the important thing. They will start to go in eventually. Patrick’s shot itself is fine. He just needs to find ways to get more separation from defenders. He should get quicker in the coming years and that will help.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
this. Getting shots off is what you want to see from young guys. It is one of the hardest things about transitioning to the nhl. When you dominate in junior you never worry about getting your shot off , its more about getting the right shot off. In the nhl, if you have a window you have to shoot

Yep. It's why I hate windup slapshots and love quick wrist shots.
Slapshots I like are compact motion and perfect timing off the pass, gone before the goalie even knows you're shooting.
The best wrist shots are the ones where the shooter uses a defenseman as a screen, and fires the instant a shooting lane is open.
In the NHL, the high quality shots are also the toughest shots, which is why you need both upper body strength and great hands.
Because the devastating scorers are the ones that can fire an accurate wrist shot with a defenseman draped all over them.

It's not the velocity of shots that matter in most cases, when you're within 20 or so feet, there isn't much time to react if the goalie doesn't see you shoot, so the quick release and accuracy is what scores goals.

That's why I think Patrick will be a 40 goal scorer, he has all the tools to score in the high danger zones.
Whereas Konecny needs to work on his shooting, he's great at creating scoring opportunities, the next step is to convert them at a higher rate.
If Voracek was a better shooter, he'd be a top five player.

Reactions: achdumeingute

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think we have to wait until next year to make predictions. His speed has gotten better and it’s likely not at its best yet. If he’s even a little bit faster than now it could mean an extra 20 pts a year and then you are talking top 10 points guy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then add in Frost, Allison, Lindblom, etc.
I don't think scoring will be an issue, especially with the defensemen coming and a defenseman friendly offensive system.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
lindblom needs more love. I truly feel like his hockey iq is off the chart.

Last week, Charlie O'Connor broke down some plays that Lindblom made that were terrific. Didn't lead directly to goals but they were just smart, high IQ plays that generally go unnoticed.

Reactions: Rebels57

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Last week, Charlie O'Connor broke down some plays that Lindblom made that were terrific. Didn't lead directly to goals but they were just smart, high IQ plays that generally go unnoticed.

He just always makes the right play, makes his linemates so much better. Next year after Lindblom and Patrick get some seasoning that line is going to be deadly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I keep watching this goal. Like I said on the prospect board thread, anyone who was worried about his skating should feel all better. It’s far from an issue.

I was kinda worried about post-Giroux scoring on this team, but TK and Patrick are helping put my mind at ease. :laugh:

blues%2Bbrothers%2Bgif%2Bliam.gif

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Yeah our 2nd line is going to catch a lot of teams off guard next year.

I don't doubt the quality of our 2nd line for a single moment. It will be interesting to see what will be done with the 3rd line.

If Simmonds gets flipped in the off season we talk about 2 open spots

Weal - xxx - xxx

and even Weal is far away from being safe.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad