Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
I have had 1 migraine in my life. I woke up blind. No joke. NO one believed me. It took 3 hours for my vision to come back. I was freaking the **** out.

I had a family member who got them on the reg until they figured out what caused them. The root cause was the oil on the peel of oranges. THey could eat oranges, drink orange juice, but could not touch the peel or an orange without getting a devastating migraine. Migraines are very weird and can be debilitating.

Very interesting but how did they figure out that it was the oil on an orange that caused the migraines?

Reactions: histickingintheslot

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Interesting a bunch of you are talking about coffee. If I don’t have at least a cup by early afternoon, I get very fatigued and develop a headache. It’s brutal. And I don’t think it comes close to the pain of an actual migraine.

Hope he gets better and can get effective treatment. Very tough to function period, never mind as a pro athlete, with that kind of condition.
Yeah, that's called addiction.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
You also do wonder how long this has been going on.

Or if it was helped along by a concussion.

f***.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Hope we've learned something from the Lindros era and the kid sits until he's truly comfortable coming back. He can sit a whole season if he needs to and I wouldn't mind one bit. We are cursed, absolutely cursed as a franchise but we don't need to compound the damage.

Two stray thoughts, one hotter than the other:

- not a doctor, but there are lots of reasons for migraines not related to concussions. I don't get them often, but mine are neck-related, and I immediately think of Crosby's struggles with what we all thought were concussions but what turned out to be at least one concussion combined with a significant neck injury that went undiagnosed for months and months. Multiple doctors completely missed it. Definitely would get Nolan out for lots and lots of opinions.

- Gabriel should not make this team under any circumstances, mostly because he sucks and doesn't have any way of helping the team win, but also because of these optics. An injury is bad enough, but imagine seeing the guy who gave it to you fill the very spot he vacated.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Very interesting but how did they figure out that it was the oil on an orange that caused the migraines?

So these migraines were brutal. They had to be in pitch black room with no noise. Any sort of stimulus was agonizing. Progress was slowly made. A family friend who was a physician recommended muscle relaxers, which made them more bearable. Then when it occurred at a family members house they put it together, that they had just peeled and eaten an orange, and it dawned on them that this had occurred before. They had gotten about 10 of these devastating migraines per year. Since the self diagnosed orange theory they haven't had a single one. Citrus is a well known substance that can lead to migraines. Caffeine is another big one.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fortunately, we don't really need to "play internet doctor" to get a decent idea of the root causes of his migraines. We can just look at the doctor the Flyers said he went to, Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher.
https://www.thesportsneurologyclinic.com/jeffrey-kutcher-md
The Kutcher Clinic (formerly known as The Sports Neurology Clinic) is led by Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, an internationally recognized expert and sports neurology pioneer, specializing in the diagnosis and management of concussion, post-concussion syndrome and neurological conditions in athletes.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
This sucks for Nolan. Hope he recovers, not even for hockey reasons. No 20yr kid deserves chronic migraines to last the rest of his life.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I have had 1 migraine in my life. I woke up blind. No joke. NO one believed me. It took 3 hours for my vision to come back. I was freaking the **** out.

I had a family member who got them on the reg until they figured out what caused them. The root cause was the oil on the peel of oranges. THey could eat oranges, drink orange juice, but could not touch the peel or an orange without getting a devastating migraine. Migraines are very weird and can be debilitating.

Retinals are absolutely terrifying.

That's the crazy and terrible thing about migraines, there are just so many stimuli that can cause them - the possibilities are endless.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Interesting a bunch of you are talking about coffee. If I don’t have at least a cup by early afternoon, I get very fatigued and develop a headache. It’s brutal. And I don’t think it comes close to the pain of an actual migraine.

Hope he gets better and can get effective treatment. Very tough to function period, never mind as a pro athlete, with that kind of condition.

Caffine withdrawl is serious. Every 3 months you should go at least a month without caffeine in order to let the receptors reset. If you don't you are not getting any performance improvement from caffeine , but the decrease in performance from withdrawal feels like baseline. Trust me I perform tons of chemistry experiments on my body.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Caffine withdrawl is serious. Every 3 months you should go at least a month without caffeine in order to let the receptors reset. If you don't you are not getting any performance improvement from caffeine , but the decrease in performance from withdrawal feels like baseline. Trust me I perform tons of chemistry experiments on my body.

May I also perform tons of chemistry on your body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad