Value of: Noah Hanifin

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I know there are a few CGY threads already, but seems they are very Gaudreau and Monahan focused.

If Calgary decides to hold on to the aforementioned duo and tries to supplement them for one last shot next year Hanifin is probably our most valuable trade chip.

23 year old top 4 defenceman with 4 years remaining at $4.95m.

Preferably would like to shed some cap in a theoretical Hanifin trade so we can shore up our goaltending and maybe take a shot at Hall.

Thoughts?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hmm, a couple questions, FLA would be interested but there's a big BUT.

He's gone from 18-19 mins in CAR, to 20-21 mins a game in CGY, the last 2 years in CGY.
How's his skating?
I know +/- isn't a great stat anymore but he's a -47 in just under 400 games (389).
He averages 6 goals and 28 pts over 82 game average.

Feels like he's a similar Matheson in FLA?
Matheson has played 21 mins out the gate since 2016-17, was reduced to 18 mins this year by Q which was warranted.
He is a career -32 in 299 games, so he's tracking towards a similar -
He averages 9 goals and 25 points over 82 game average

Describe his defense for me because I'm a tad baffled his underlying numbers on offense are decent enough but defensively, it's not as good?
What is the ask from a FLA perspective?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hmm, a couple questions, FLA would be interested but there's a big BUT.

He's gone from 18-19 mins in CAR, to 20-21 mins a game in CGY, the last 2 years in CGY.
How's his skating?
I know +/- isn't a great stat anymore but he's a -47 in just under 400 games (389).
He averages 6 goals and 28 pts over 82 game average.

For such a good skater, he remarkably gets beat and can't catch guys that get behind him. Maybe it's an acceleration issue or a decision making issue because once he gets going, he's a very good skater.

Feels like he's a similar Matheson in FLA?
Matheson has played 21 mins out the gate since 2016-17, was reduced to 18 mins this year by Q which was warranted.
He is a career -32 in 299 games, so he's tracking towards a similar -
He averages 9 goals and 25 points over 82 game average

Describe his defense for me because I'm a tad baffled his underlying numbers on offense are decent enough but defensively, it's not as good?
What is the ask from a FLA perspective?

I can't speak for Calgary fans, but in Carolina, he was remarkably vanilla. Not that being vanilla is a problem, but you want more from a 5th OA pick. I think his decision making is what holds him back some. In Carolina, he frequently just made the wrong play at the wrong time. Maybe that's changed in Calgary.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Bad idea IMO. Flames are already losing two D this offseason
Hamonic really doesn’t hurt as much as outside fans seem to think. He was our 5-6 best defenceman and can be easily replaced.

In all honesty him opting out was a good thing for our D.

Reactions: viper0220

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For such a good skater, he remarkably gets beat and can't catch guys that get behind him. Maybe it's an acceleration issue because once he gets going, he's a very good skater.
I can't speak for Calgary fans, but in Carolina, he was remarkably vanilla. Not that being vanilla is a problem, but you want more from a 5th OA pick. I think his decision making is what holds him back some. In Carolina, he frequently just made the wrong play at the wrong time. Maybe that's changed in Calgary.

Sounds exactly like Matheson, can flat out fly when in motion end to end offensively but gets walked, outsmarted and overthinks things defensively.
Hanifin is still young enough to put it all together but vanilla is a good way to describe it, average right now with good potential but mental/hockey IQ is lacking a bit.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
For such a good skater, he remarkably gets beat and can't catch guys that get behind him. Maybe it's an acceleration issue or a decision making issue because once he gets going, he's a very good skater.

This is pretty accurate. At times he looks like he could take that next step, and other times you just shake your head.

That said he’s still only 23 and there’s tile for him to figure something out.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Why would you move this?

23 year old top 4 defenceman with 4 years remaining at $4.95m
For the same reason you guys moved Brady Skjei, a lot of tools but no toolbox type of player. He's a run of the mill guy who is still living on draft pedigree for the most part, and can be replaced by someone even cheaper. He's slightly better than Skjei and still might have a bit of untapped potential but for the most part he is what he is. If they can parlay him into good assets before the book is out on him like the Rangers did with Skjei, they have to think long and hard about doing it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dumb question. But with Gio being 37 to start next year. And Brodie (who I think plays the right side often) being a UFA, and Gustafson and Forbert (who are more bottom pairing guys) being UFAs, and Valimaki and Kylington being rather inexperienced, why would the Flames move Hanifin? If Brodie doesn't re-sign, aren't you banking on Valimaki an Kylington being your #1 and #2 LHD in a year or two?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Dumb question. But with Gio being 37 to start next year. And Brodie (who I think plays the right side often) being a UFA, and Gustafson and Forbert (who are more bottom pairing guys) being UFAs, and Valimaki and Kylington being rather inexperienced, why would the Flames move Hanifin? If Brodie doesn't re-sign, aren't you banking on Valimaki an Kylington being your #1 and #2 LHD in a year or two?
They also have Andersson. But to be honest banking on Hanifin to be a top pairing guy isn't any better of a proposition.

Nevermind, didn't notice your LHD qualifier.

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
The logic is that the Flames have Gaudreau under contract for 2 more years. For at least the first of those 2 years Giordano will still be able to be a horse, despite his bad showing in the playoffs.

Moving Hanifin would be in an attempt to compliment our forward group better with the idea that we have 1/2 more years to actually go for it before Giordano regresses and Gaudreau is thinking about heading East.

Long story short, the Flames will be either hitting the reset button now or in a couple years, so it really doesn’t matter who our #1 and #2 D are at that point. They have a window to try and take a shot now.

But a more direct answer, I’d put money on Valimaki to be our #1 LHD any day of the week. He was already arguably one of our best D in the limited sample

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ledge And Dairy

It’s not out of the question, but regular season Giordano was still good enough.
That's not the point, Valimaki is not top 4 this upcoming season. Gio can still play top 4. So you shelter Valimaki another year before moving him up. I hate using them as an example but look at Toronto, they have Sandin so should they trade Rielly? No that would be stupid

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Unless Gio magically goes back 6 years and Valimaki is our LD savior, I have a hard time thinking of anything that would entice me to move Hanifin.

He wasn’t the problem and played pretty dang good with Andersson. Night and day compared to when he played with Hamonic.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
That's not the point, Valimaki is not top 4 this upcoming season. Gio can still play top 4. So you shelter Valimaki another year before moving him up. I hate using them as an example but look at Toronto, they have Sandin so should they trade Rielly? No that would be stupid
Valimaki is definitely top 4 this year, I’d bet anything.

But comparing Reilly to Hanifin is stupid in and of itself.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I really liked him in the playoffs.

he’s this year’s Brodie. The majority of fans judge players by their blatantly obviously bad plays and their blatantly obviously good plays. Hanifin made too many mistakes this year but his skating does too much for the team on a shift by shift basis. He’s J-Bo 2.0 and he’s going to play another decade+ on the top four. He’s also the only young defenceman in our organization with the skating to be a number one D, IMO (well maybe Valimaki but he can’t be relied on until he can stay healthy)

only way I trade him is for an upgrade/a similar RHS D/part of a package for an elite player. There is way too much to work with and like Hamilton he shows too much promise to give up now.

Ledge And Dairy

Valimaki is definitely top 4 this year, I’d bet anything.

But comparing Reilly to Hanifin is stupid in and of itself.
Ill take that bet on Valimaki, don't act like a guy that has been off for a year is going to jump in and play like Hughes/Makar.

Ok ill use a different example than Rielly. Like Hanifin, Muzzin was recently signed to a solid deal with term, they are comparable in skill and cost. Should Toronto move Muzzin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad