Friedman: Noah Hanifin could be traded this offseason - Pt. II

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
well he's been bad enough that treating him like he's still elite 4th overall pick type value is a mistake.

Well you're wrong. He's 20 years old with lots of time to improve, and has done fine. Defensemen typically hit their stride later than forwards, typically around 25 or 25 at least.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No need to be insulted. Slavin-Pesce are amazing young dmen and Faulk is very good too.

Hanifin just hasn't been good, though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
ah yes, edgy zeke

tell me how he was post trade deadline when he was moved up to the top-4 and not stranded on the bottom pair with an AHL dman

(hint)

That's not very accurate because the whole damn team was on a hot streak in March. I'm sure everyone's CF in march took a healthy bump.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That's not very accurate because the whole damn team was on a hot streak in March. I'm sure everyone's CF in march took a healthy bump.

Hanifin's relative CF% moved firmly into the positive.

Using season-long numbers for developing players is dumb.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

The chart legit shows that's not true and that the two players he was playing with had worse CF% in march.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Well you're wrong. He's 20 years old with lots of time to improve, and has done fine. Defensemen typically hit their stride later than forwards, typically around 25 or 25 at least.

You just confirmed what he was saying. He's not 'elite' right now and there is no guarantee that he hits his stride at age 25.

The value for Hanifin being thrown around in this thread is insanely high.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You just confirmed what he was saying. He's not 'elite' right now and there is no guarantee that he hits his stride at age 25.

Seth Jones wasn't elite when he was traded for Johansen either. Young defensemen like this hold a ton of value.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006

Then stop asking to trade for him! CAR fans are not starting these threads, we would be more than happy to keep him. :shakehead

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Why wouldn’t the asking price for Hanifin be “insanely high”? He was a much hyped Top 5 pick in a good draft just 2 years ago. Hanifin has played at the NHL level for 2 seasons and just had a strong finish to his sophomore year as a Top 4 defenseman. Carolina has absolutely no motivation to move him outside of getting back an equivalent long-term piece that better balances the core group. If the Canes don't get what they're looking for, then they will just keep him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Then stop asking to trade for him! CAR fans are not starting these threads, we would be more than happy to keep him. :shakehead

This is how these type of threads always go regardless of team. Someone asks for one of your key pieces for a low offer, your fan base counters with a high asking price as reality would dictate, and the thread devolves into the other fans trashing your player on why they aren't valuable.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I would think long and hard about this if I were Ron Francis- sekera had probably the best year of his NHL career playing with Faulk and still has a few years left on a decent contract. I don't think this is really fair for the oilers though- stempniak only has one year left on his deal so it kinda becomes

Hanifin for Pool Party
Stempniak for Sekera

I don't think I do that if I'm Edmonton

That's a bad deal for Edmonton IMO. Overpay for sure.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Seth Jones wasn't elite when he was traded for Johansen either. Young defensemen like this hold a ton of value.

Seth Jones was a lot better and more heralded but I do like Hanifin a lot. He's one of the best young D-prospects in the hockey world today and Canes have 2 of the others.

But I don't think the Canes should look to move him as the asking price would never come to fruition.

Draisaitl? That's just ridicolous. Guy just had 77 pts in 82 games, albeit playing on McDavid's wing. He's already shown elite NHL production at his age. Has also shown elite tools. There's probably only 3 young D-men in the NHL that can justify that return in Parayko, Seth Jones, and a pre-concussion Ekblad and I still don't think Oilers do any of the 3 (only because if Draisaitl ever centers his own line with McDavid that could be devastating + the internal growth of Klefbom and Larsson).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Seth Jones was a lot better and more heralded but I do like Hanifin a lot. He's one of the best young D-prospects in the hockey world today and Canes have 2 of the others.

Jones was coming off a 27 point in 82 game sophomore season and had 11 points in 40 games at the time of the trade in his third season. Hanifin just had 29 points in 81 games as a sophomore. Jones wasn't known for his fantastic defensive play at the time anymore than Hanifin is now. Jones definitely had better advanced stats, but he also benefited from a better team and was playing behind Weber and Josi. Jones had a bit higher pedigree as a prospect/young player, but the difference isn't that much. Why is it that Jones is worth a massive amount compared to Hanifin other than HF perception?

Yes though, I agree Draisaitl is too much for him after the season he just had, but Hanifin is still worth a ton.

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
Slavin - Faulk
Hanifin - Pesce

We are set for a long time with those pairings. No need to reshuffle things. I'd much rather package the 1st with Fleury or Bean to acquire a young promising forward. That can still get a very solid player and we keep the top 4 together. Most of the Hanifin rumors were before the deadline and have carried over to now despite his rise in play over the latter part of the season. I'd imagine his recent performance would have Francis changing his mind about moving him.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Slavin - Faulk
Hanifin - Pesce

We are set for a long time with those pairings. No need to reshuffle things. I'd much rather package the 1st with Fleury or Bean to acquire a young promising forward. That can still get a very solid player and we keep the top 4 together. Most of the Hanifin rumors were before the deadline and have carried over to now despite his rise in play over the latter part of the season. I'd imagine his recent performance would have Francis changing his mind about moving him.

I think the Leafs should look into using their bloated forward prospects to gain a second tier guy like Bean/Fleury or dman we are after at 12.

Hanifin and other top end dman would take too much.

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
I think the Leafs should look into using their bloated forward prospects to gain a second tier guy like Bean/Fleury or dman we are after at 12.

Hanifin and other top end dman would take too much.

I know TOR fans on here will shut me down, but I think Kapanen is a candidate in this type of deal. I know Canes would likely add to Fleury or Bean but a deal can be made.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I know TOR fans on here will shut me down, but I think Kapanen is a candidate in this type of deal. I know Canes would likely add to Fleury or Bean but a deal can be made.

If we do our homework on either guy and see serious potential to upgrade our top4 at the expense of Kapanen; I am Fine.
Would hurt to lose Kasperi, but he is an expendable piece that could help upgrade where we are lacking

The Faulker

Dec 1, 2013
If we do our homework on either guy and see serious potential to upgrade our top4 at the expense of Kapanen; I am Fine.
Would hurt to lose Kasperi, but he is an expendable piece that could help upgrade where we are lacking

Do you think Kapanen is ready to play in the NHL right now?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Hanifin has been really bad in the nhl so far.

If you'd watched him at all you'd know just how ridiculous this sounds. Has he had hiccups that an 18, 19 year old defender making the transition to the NHL would have? Sure. However if you'd looked at his body of work, especially the last 20-25 games where he was moved into the Top 4, he has become what he was anticipated to be....and will only get better.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Next Luke Schenn imo. Hopefully Carolina can pull a Toronto and trade him for a higher value forward. A Ryan Spooner or even JVR would totally be ideal.

Completely different players. Luke Schenn never lived up to expectations because: (1) mediocre skating, and (2) a high pick spent on a defensive d-man is almost always a pick wasted; guys who can't score in juniors don't have good odds becoming much of anything as NHLers. Hanifin is already a much better NHL player than Schenn ever was or could hope to be.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Completely different players. Luke Schenn never lived up to expectations because: (1) mediocre skating, and (2) a high pick spent on a defensive d-man is almost always a pick wasted; guys who can't score in juniors don't have good odds becoming much of anything as NHLers. Hanifin is already a much better NHL player than Schenn ever was or could hope to be.

He was being sarcastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad