Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

crasherino

May 9, 2013
When I watched Dobson in junior hockey never got the Leddy impression as far as skating. He reminded more of Kenny Jonson as he’s a smooth skater with a good stick. So far in the nhl he has loooked tentative at times which is to be expected.
Recently he seems to be breaking out of his shell a bit and becoming more of what you describe. That bodes well for us.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Something to realize about Dobson who just turned 20 like yesterday is that in the NHL defensemen have always taken longer to develop.

When a forward makes a mistake it is not too noticeable.
When a defensemen makes a mistake it is fairly noticeable.
When a goalie makes a mistake it is very noticeable.

The more noticeable the mistakes are (costly) the longer it takes a player to be able to consistently play there. This is why we see forwards come in at such an early age, defensemen coming in later, and goalies typically coming in last.

It is also important to note when a forward makes a mistake in the defensive zone, a defenseman has to make a quick decision whether to leave his man to address the gaffe or stay out. Often the bulls eye falls in the defenseman. It takes experience and communication which all takes time to develop. I think Dobson is doing fairly well with it so far. He needs to stay confident and fans and the team need to stay patient as they have been with Toews.

Reactions: Riseonfire

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It is also important to note when a forward makes a mistake in the defensive zone, a defenseman has to make a quick decision whether to leave his man to address the gaffe or stay out. Often the bulls eye falls in the defenseman. It takes experience and communication which all takes time to develop. I think Dobson is doing fairly well with it so far. He needs to stay confident and fans and the team need to stay patient as they have been with Toews.
Fans also need to remember Dobson just turned 20.
Pulock did not stick in the nhl until he was 23 and Toews was 24 yrs old.

So glad Dobson's got the old vet Boychuk to help guide him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Fans also need to remember Dobson just turned 20.
Pulock did not stick in the nhl until he was 23 and Toews was 24 yrs old.

So glad Dobson's got the old vet Boychuk to help guide him.

And really for his age we should be thrilled with the way he's playing.....if he can even come close to Toews' and Pulock's first season this early in his career this will be a wonderful boon for the team.

Reactions: bigtim1988

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Defensemen develop at a slower rate than forwards (sometimes significantly). The Hedmans/Dahlins/etc. are the exception and not the norm. Pulock is 25 and is really just starting to develop into an impact player over the past couple of years. Same thing with Pelech. Around the NHL same with OEL, Josi, Burns, Giordano, Carlson, Pietrangelo, etc.

Be patient, Dobson will most likely be fine but many fans in the NHL have adopted an instant gratification mindset and when it comes to young players (especially defensemen and goaltenders), it's going to usually take some time.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Defensemen develop at a slower rate than forwards (sometimes significantly). The Hedmans/Dahlins/etc. are the exception and not the norm. Pulock is 25 and is really just starting to develop into an impact player over the past couple of years. Same thing with Pelech. Around the NHL same with OEL, Josi, Burns, Giordano, Carlson, Pietrangelo, etc.

Be patient, Dobson will most likely be fine but many fans in the NHL have adopted an instant gratification mindset and when it comes to young players (especially defensemen and goaltenders), it's going to usually take some time.
Hardly an exception to the rule, Hedman was pretty much a disaster defensively for his first 2.5 seasons. The physical skills were there, he just had no clue how to play the position. Dobson is not as physically gifted as Hedman was at the same age, but my guess is that his innate hockey IQ is higher.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The people who didnt play never get this though. They just post 'Dobson sucks!' and move on with life thinking its true.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

crasherino

May 9, 2013
8:05 TOI.
I would have thought it was more. I thought I remember him playing late in the 3rd period. Maybe Barry rolled him out again after we tied it up?

I don't love him on the off side though. There was one specific time were he corralled the puck along the boards and sent it cross ice on his backhand over to Boychuk and it ended up going over the blue line. Just a tough pass to make on your backhand. Doubly so when you're still picking up the speed of the NHL game.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I've said before, after seeing Dobson from a few rows back last spring for several games in Halifax, that he's damn scrawny to be playing with men.

This picture reminded me that the kid still has to put a lot of meat on his bones.

cut.jpg

My 17yo son is more physically developed than Dobson.

Regardless, he's learning the ropes and doing better than I expected with the increased load, especially when he has to defend against guys built like this mother f***er:

GettyImages-931381766.jpg

When (hopefully not "if"), he fills out, he should become a damn good Dman.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've said before, after seeing Dobson from a few rows back last spring for several games in Halifax, that he's damn scrawny to be playing with men.

This picture reminded me that the kid still has to put a lot of meat on his bones.

cut.jpg

My 17yo son is more physically developed than Dobson.

Regardless, he's learning the ropes and doing better than I expected with the increased load, especially when he has to defend against guys built like this mother ****er:

GettyImages-931381766.jpg

When (hopefully not "if"), he fills out, he should become a damn good Dman.
For sure, he is still filling out. Almost looks the same from last year. His up curve is immense due to this. He has 20 lbs more to go before he hits his optimal size. The bulk will come. He has the head for the game, the skill, the instincts. Now it is just the body that needs to catch up.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and JKP

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For sure, he is still filling out. Almost looks the same from last year. His up curve is immense due to this. He has 20 lbs more to go before he hits his optimal size. The bulk will come. He has the head for the game, the skill, the instincts. Now it is just the body that needs to catch up.

Tall and lanky kids take a while to put it all together. Dobson has usually been listed at 6'3, but it looks like the new measurements of 6'4 and 185 are legit. He should eventually top out at 210, but it's going to be a little while until he gets there. Playing so much hockey in his Draft year and D+1 seasons left little time for him to properly train as well.

Dobson is a work in progress, but I agree with you that he has flashed the abilities of a burgeoning stud. The kid needs to eat... A LOT. Stick him with a fat boy like me and I'll show him what's up... :)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Tall and lanky kids take a while to put it all together. Dobson has usually been listed at 6'3, but it looks like the new measurements of 6'4 and 185 are legit. He should eventually top out at 210, but it's going to be a little while until he gets there. Playing so much hockey in his Draft year and D+1 seasons left little time for him to properly train as well.

Dobson is a work in progress, but I agree with you that he has flashed the abilities of a burgeoning stud. The kid needs to eat... A LOT. Stick him with a fat boy like me and I'll show him what's up... :)
Then he’ll be crapping out Chipotle on game days.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

PW, the kid is going to be a beast when he gets his man strength. There is not one doubt in my mind. I look at how Pulock has filled out when he was drafted, who I was a fan of in his draft year, and I even see a bigger upside for Dobson. For me, these 2 are the cornerstones for the Isles franchise. Lou built the Devils cup teams with Stevens and Neidermayer, with Brodeur in the net. There is some similarity to me with this with Pulock, Dobson, and Sorokin.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
PW, the kid is going to be a beast when he gets his man strength. There is not one doubt in my mind. I look at how Pulock has filled out when he was drafted, who I was a fan of in his draft year, and I even see a bigger upside for Dobson. For me, these 2 are the cornerstones for the Isles franchise. Lou built the Devils cup teams with Stevens and Neidermayer, with Brodeur in the net. There is some similarity to me with this with Pulock, Dobson, and Sorokin.

Pulock was built like a tank when he was drafted, most of us here thought seeing his passport was needed to confirm his age. Physical development was never his problem. He needed to seriously refine his defensive game and improve his skating to get where he is now.

Dobson is so different as his main problem is that he's built like Arya Stark - I know you like that @Sidney the Kidney.

I would introduce this kid to the wonderful world of Korean BBQ in all it's forms to pump as much protein into this kid as I can. NO CHIPOTLE (@MJF), the point is to bulk him up and not shoot rockets out of his ass...

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pulock was built like a tank when he was drafted, most of us here thought seeing his passport was needed to confirm his age. Physical development was never his problem. He needed to seriously refine his defensive game and improve his skating to get where he is now.

Dobson is so different as his main problem is that he's built like Arya Stark - I know you like that @Sidney the Kidney.

I would introduce this kid to the wonderful world of Korean BBQ in all it's forms to pump as much protein into this kid as I can. NO CHIPOTLE (@MJF), the point is to bulk him up and not shoot rockets out of his ass...

Dobson is
Now you are talking. I have a weakness for Korean BBQ, and Gamjatang(Pork Bone Soup)

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

There’s a 24 hour Korean BBQ place near my house. I can never get anyone to go with me. My family and friends have no interest in trying anything different. No sushi. No Sunday Dim Sum. Only diners, Italian, Mexican and Chinese takeout. BORING.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Now you are talking. I have a weakness for Korean BBQ, and Gamjatang(Pork Bone Soup)

I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)

Gamjatang is the shiznit. Damn, I haven't had that in a while. There was a place in LA that had killer gamjatang, I still remember it despite having last been there probably like 15 years ago.

If you're ever in the NY area, I'll take you out for some killer Korean BBQ. We can kidnap Dobson and take him with us like in the movie Celtic Pride...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I knew there was a reason I liked you. :)

Gamjatang is the shiznit. Damn, I haven't had that in a while. There was a place in LA that had killer gamjatang, I still remember it despite having last been there probably like 15 years ago.

If you're ever in the NY area, I'll take you out for some killer Korean BBQ. We can kidnap Dobson and take him with us like in the movie Celtic Pride...
If you’re still on the Nassau north shore, have you ever tried the Korean BBQ place on Northern Blvd and Francis Lewis in Bayside?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad