Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When the Isles win the cup this year, does Dobson's name get to go on the cup or does he actually have to play games...I mean..since he is with the big club..that counts or no?
Good question. Also, will they spell out Joshua or just put Josh Ho-Sang?

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
No he is not. Not even close.
Firstly how about playing him on the right side?

He has not been given a chance.
Dobson is your best pick since Tavares....including Barzal.
But how about playing him at his normal position?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Dobson has some great potential, i loved the pick and still do, but lets hit the brakes a little bit. Barzal is a legit #1 center and is only 22 years old.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

You're telling me if we had the 1st overall pick you'd take Dobson over Dahlin?

Dobson's not even an NHL defenseman yet and Barzal's a #1 center. Dahlin drafted the same year as Dobson and is a #1 defenseman...Dobson isn't an NHL caliber defenseman (yet).

I like Dobson too and for the record I think he has the potential to be a great impact player for us and I'm optimistic that he will be. But I'm a broken record approaching this topic for the past decade or so: potential doesn't mean anything if it's never fulfilled. Some of our prospects will reach their potential, others wont and still be decent, others will bust. We don't know what Dobson will be yet and we do know what Barzal and Dahlin are at this point.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
If we were a bad team, Dobson would be playing every night; and the Isles would be lambasted for stunting his development by playing him too many NHL minutes too soon.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What happens is the coaching staff works with Toews on the defensive part of his game and when is a good time to start to leave the D zone, and Lou re-signs him this summer.

Devon Toews is having a poor year. It doesn't mean I don't want him back.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
What happens is the coaching staff works with Toews on the defensive part of his game and when is a good time to start to leave the D zone, and Lou re-signs him this summer.

There is no comparison in potential between Toews and Dobson
Dobson is not having a bad year.
Ever since LL told publicly that Dobson was a part of the team, he has played 12:32 altogether.
Right now, if he had played World Juniors, he would already have played over 100 minutes.
Talk about mismanaging development.
Is there a feud between LL and BT on this case?

And for those who say that Dobson would develp bad habits playing Junior, I wonder how he is developing good habits seating in the stands.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Ever since LL told publicly that Dobson was a part of the team, he has played 12:32 altogether.
Right now, if he had played World Juniors, he would already have played over 100 minutes.

And for those who say that Dobson would develp bad habits playing Junior, I wonder how he is developing good habits seating in the stands.

We didn't let him join Team Canada because he was needed on the New York Islanders.. as we're seeing why right now..

And his major junior team was using him 35 minutes/game... sometimes more... the Islanders felt keeping him with us was better for his development than sending him back to an environment to accomplish nothing new and play in a situation where Dobson himself says he was instructed by his coaches to just stay on the ice until he was tired...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not how you want to get a chance to break into the line up, but Dobson has been prepared all season to make the step into the NHL. I believe the more games he plays, the better he will be. I am not going to say this is a Lou Gehrig moment but to me there is no turning back. Dobson has arrived. Isles will need him and I don't think he will disappoint.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hey Islanders fans,

Canucks fan coming here in peace.

Was wondering if you guys would ever consider a Dobson for Virtanen swap? The Canucks get a good RD prospect while you guys would get a young developing PWF that seems to have taken a big step this year, and will still be a cost controlled asset after his signs with RFA deal.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Hey Islanders fans,

Was wondering if you guys would ever consider a Dobson for Virtanen swap? The Canucks get a good RD prospect while you guys would get a young developing PWF that seems to have taken a big step this year, and will still be a cost controlled asset after his signs with RFA deal.
Lou has said he’s not moving Dobson. The islanders are very high on Dobson but are going to take there time in his development. So no I don’t think any package would interest the islanders.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hey Islanders fans,

Dobson isn't going anywhere especially now after losing Adam Pelech for the rest of the year. Dobson probably projects into being a Nick Leddy replacement should Leds not re-sign here this summer. And now that Pelech is out we really can't afford to trade a defenseman.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I just realized my post was meant to go in a Devon Toews thread. Sorry about any confusion.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey Islanders fans,

Dobson is not available, but a swap for Virtanen is a pretty terrible offer on multiple levels. Using the "coming in peace" qualifier doesn't excuse that, this would get ripped on the main boards.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Hey Islanders fans,

Not a bad offer, and pretty fair value...it's just a matter of timing and needs I guess. I'd consider your offer down the road if the Isles were to make other trades, but right now I don't think it helps them much by trading their best right handed defensive prospect for a winger. And that's not a knock against Virtanen, he'd do well here no doubt, it's a numbers game from the Isles standpoint as they'd have too many forwards.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Not a bad offer, and pretty fair value...it's just a matter of timing and needs I guess. I'd consider your offer down the road if the Isles were to make other trades, but right now I don't think it helps them much by trading their best right handed defensive prospect for a winger. And that's not a knock against Virtanen, he'd do well here no doubt, it's a numbers game from the Isles standpoint as they'd have too many forwards.

It's not a bad offer it is a terrible offer!! Virtanen is a 3rd line forward in the NHL, while Dobson has the potential to be a top pairing all star defenseman.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Dobson is a severe overpayment for Jake Virtanen.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Hey Islanders fans,

Yes

:sarcasm:

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Hey Islanders fans,

Islanders fan responding in peace..

Was wondering if you would consider an Elias Pettersson for Josh Ho-Sang swap?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Islanders fan responding in peace..

Was wondering if you would consider an Elias Pettersson for Josh Ho-Sang swap?

I really like Virtanen but Dobson is a long term project that Isles need to keep due to his skating and offensive upside (eventually replacing Leddy) that I can't see Isles give up easily. He is also cheap and is not exposed to the Seattle draft so has extra value that way.

Dobson has some growing pain but with his character and skill, he can overcome his problems in time and be a top 4 so I would not given him up on yet.

Reactions: buud

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Here's how I see the Dobson situation as it has unfolded.

Coming into camp, his confidence was arguably never going to be higher after the season and success he had last year. And it showed right from the beginning, when he was getting into every second or third game. His improvement and confidence were growing from game to game and he was looking better and better, quicker decisions, fewer mistakes, better reads, etc.

Then came the points streak and he sat on the sidelines, for like 3 weeks. And the regression since then has been noticeable. Totally not his fault, you need to play to be comfortable out there. Production breeds confidence, and confidence breeds production. Since then, he is still being used sparingly, probably more regularly now that Pelech is out for the season.

But the issue for me is, with the way he was progressing early on with playing time, is it unreasonable to think he would have surpassed what Toews or Mayfield bring, and as early as mid-season if he was allowed to play? He is considered by everyone to be the stud D of the future. His skating and hockey IQ are well above the average. The defensive side at this level comes with experience and with the tools he has, and as he was showing, he was adjusting and getting better and better.

Now, I realize the Isles have a competitive team that finds success due to Trotz's system, and are in the business of winning games. Obviously making the playoffs and winning at least a round are the objectives and that is their primary focus. And management will make lineup decisions with those goals in mind.

But I don't fully understand the idea of burning the first year of his ELC if he's not going to play and be allowed to progress. It is a waste of the year, IMO. Not only is he not playing enough, when he does get in it is with pretty much a different D partner every game, and sometimes every shift. That, to me, is downright unfair. How could anyone be expected to succeed in that situation, let alone a 19yo rookie?

I guess I just don't understand why, if they were going to commit to keeping him for the year, why they didn't commit to playing him and allowing him to improve. The way he was playing at the start of the year, he looked like he belonged. Now his confidence is gone (he can hopefully get it back with playing time), and he looks rusty and uncomfortable out there. Night and day from the first month of the season.

I know a lot of you think bringing him along slowly as they have is the way to go, but I see the results as proving the opposite. It's stunted his progression and while there is still a lot of season left, I can't help but feel they have mismanaged the situation to this point.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Oh, and I'm not a friend or family member or anything like that, in case you're wondering... ;)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Don't understand why everyone thinks Dobson's confidence is shot and he's playing poorly. He's playing exactly how a first year pro defenseman under 20 years of age (for now) should be playing. He's shown some great awareness at times, gotten beaten at times....it's what's to be expected. I really don't get the mindset of some people on here like there is some exact recipe and anything short of exact is going to burn it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Don't understand why everyone thinks Dobson's confidence is shot and he's playing poorly. He's playing exactly how a first year pro defenseman under 20 years of age (for now) should be playing. He's shown some great awareness at times, gotten beaten at times....it's what's to be expected. I really don't get the mindset of some people on here like there is some exact recipe and anything short of exact is going to burn it.

I have no problem with him because it's part of the process for sure, but on the other side the team is trying to win and has a small margin for error. He commits errors, understandably, but it really hurts the team. I hope he doesn't take as long as some other defenseman to clean some stuff up. I don't care at all about his offense, just keep the puck out of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad