Noah Dobson or Evan Bouchard?

Who becomes the better NHLer, Dobson or Bouchard?

• Noah Dobson

• Evan Bouchard

Results are only viewable after voting.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Speaking of Pulock, what happened to his offensive game? With his shot I figured he'd be a future John Carlson-type, but he seems to take forever to get his shot off and just never developed that high end offensive game (ie. vision, passing, etc.).

Pulock has Fulton Reed-itis. No one knows where that rocket launcher is going, he takes a huge wind up so he needs the time to unload it.

In terms of his other offensive tools, they're in the good range. His boots are a little heavy, but he gets around ok. The passing and vision is good, not super high end. Pulock's defensive game has developed very nicely.

Why am I explaining all of this to you? You've been a closet Isles fan for quite a few years now... stop causing trouble you punk.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pulock has Fulton Reed-itis. No one knows where that rocket launcher is going, he takes a huge wind up so he needs the time to unload it.

In terms of his other offensive tools, they're in the good range. His boots are a little heavy, but he gets around ok. The passing and vision is good, not super high end. Pulock's defensive game has developed very nicely.

Why am I explaining all of this to you? You've been a closet Isles fan for quite a few years now... stop causing trouble you punk.

Pulock reminds me of Pelech except for the uak instead of the eeh.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Somethings tells me it’s going to be like a pendulum when comparing these two players until their career is all said and done.

Think Karlsson vs Doughty on a much lesser scale. I see them being in the same tier as each other in their primes and going back and fourth between who the better defensemen is.

Reactions: zar and PuckG

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
To think the Flames traded away Dobson plus two additional 2nd round picks for Travis Hamonic and a 4th round pick.... and since the trade Dobson has outproduced Hamonic in both the regular season (half the number of games) and playoffs. I guess the Oilers aren't the only team that the Islanders bent over.

I think it's a bit early to pass judgement as to who will be the better NHLer between Dobson and Bouchard. Dobson has the definite edge right now but he also has more NHL experience. Bouchard will likely produce more points while Dobson being the better defensive player. We see what the next couple of years will bring.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think Dobson will have the longer and more stable career without complaints.

Bouchard I think is electrifying when it comes to offense, but I think he'll get worn out after he's 33.
Or doesn't have the 2 best players in the league to rely on.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Noah Dobson is a superior defensive player. His overall game trumps Bouchard's one-dimensional offensive game.

Bouchard hurts you as much as he helps you. Dobson helps you at all times. Going into the playoffs, Dobson all day.

This shouldn't even be a debate. Its a joke.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is an elite all round D. Bouchard is elite offensively and mediocre defensively.
Dobson easily.

1702839814323.png

Reactions: Konk

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dobson is looking good right now but I love how this thread got bumped No 1st (not a single eprson bumped it last year BTW) and then everyone rushes in with hot takes 45 days later...typical HF Boards bravery.

I took Bouchard at the time of the poll as I wasn't sure if Dobson had enough offensive IQ and Dobson is the safer bet to pan out but Bouchard can be an excellent Dman with flaws when he has confidence and brings offensive IQ very few Dmen have.

switch teams and I wonder how each player would have developed honestly.

Reactions: Dominance

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Dobson is looking good right now but I love how this thread got bumped No 1st (not a single eprson bumped it last year BTW) and then everyone rushes in with hot takes 45 days later...typical HF Boards bravery.

I took Bouchard at the time of the poll as I wasn't sure if Dobson had enough offensive IQ and Dobson is the safer bet to pan out but Bouchard can be an excellent Dman with flaws when he has confidence and brings offensive IQ very few Dmen have.

switch teams and I wonder how each player would have developed honestly.
All depends on what you need

Dobson the growing all around D
Bouchard the one dimensional PP defenceman

If they continue the current growth projections, Dobson will be the more valuable of the two. But that’s hard to predict

Reactions: bh53 and wetcoast

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
All depends on what you need

Dobson the growing all around D
Bouchard the one dimensional PP defenceman

If they continue the current growth projections, Dobson will be the more valuable of the two. But that’s hard to predict

Dobson is already playing 25+ minutes (NHL top-5) in all situations, is the #1PPQB, is currently PPG (32p in 30 games), and is a +17 on a team with a minus goal differential. He's been thriving as the #1D that has been carrying the defense with Pelech, Pulock, and one of Mayfield or Aho hurt at the same time. He's had multiple 30+ minute games and has been averaging 27+ in the last 8 games or so. He can benefit by adding another 10 pounds to his thin 200 pound frame, but Dobson is that do it all beast already.

Also, Dobson has shown quite a bit of offensive prowess at ES and as the PPQB that has essentially matched the reputed "offensively dynamic" Bouchard throughout their careers. So if Dobson is pretty much equal to Bouchard offensively and is superior defensively with pretty much no glaring flaws (other than still needing to add some weight) like Bouchard does, then wouldn't Dobson be the clear choice now?

Will Bouchard improve his defensive game that dramatically over his career? History shows that his type of d-man in the mold of Carlson, Mike Green, Shattenkirk rarely improve defensively and remain 1-dimensional offensive defenseman. These vague "let's wait and see" comments from Oiler fans make little sense to me, these 2 players are pretty much what their upside suggested at this time. At PPG+, they are both already NHL elite offensively. Are they going to match Orr numbers next? Is Dobson going to log 30+ minutes every night in the future?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Wow. i'm pretty surprised by this.
I can see Dobson as your Number 1 Dman. He'll put up points, play hard in all three zones, PK, PP, ES, 3ON3 etc. He's not far from being THAT guy... areas to improve on for sure but the headroom is there.
Bouchard cant defend in his own zone good enough to warrant top pairing minutes. If i had to guess the future, he'll never be seen more than a 2nd pairing guy with a PP specialty. I can see Dobson playing 22 even strength minutes a night easily.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow. i'm pretty surprised by this.
I can see Dobson as your Number 1 Dman. He'll put up points, play hard in all three zones, PK, PP, ES, 3ON3 etc. He's not far from being THAT guy... areas to improve on for sure but the headroom is there.
Bouchard cant defend in his own zone good enough to warrant top pairing minutes. If i had to guess the future, he'll never be seen more than a 2nd pairing guy with a PP specialty. I can see Dobson playing 22 even strength minutes a night easily.
Do you realize Bouchard has the 4th-lowest CA/60 out of all NHL defensemen? Dobson, meanwhile, is ranked #204. There are 225 defensemen in total(at least 150min 5on5). Dobson has allowed 50% more CA than Bouchard. All stats 5on5.

In other words, Bouchard has been one of the best defensive defensemen, while Dobson has been one of the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad