Noah Dobson or Evan Bouchard?

Who becomes the better NHLer, Dobson or Bouchard?

• Noah Dobson

• Evan Bouchard

Results are only viewable after voting.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
This is an insult to Evan Bouchard right now.

Bouchard should be winning this poll as of now (and is) but if you’ve been paying attention to the isles (which trust me, is not easy right now) Dobson really looks like he’s turning a corner. Could be a hot streak but he’s looked like he figured something out the past 5-7 games.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I wanted Dobson over both Hughes and Bouchard at the draft.
I have since warmed to Hughes quite a bit and I’m glad we got him. I have developed an appreciation for Bouchard as well, although he’d still be my third choice.
Since Dobson is apparently having some teething issues I would be more than happy if the Canucks made some non Hughes move to get him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Bouchard is better at the moment. On both sides of the puck and he doesn’t get 1st unit PP minutes like Dobson does

But Dobson has looked pretty solid this week. Taking on a larger role and his offense is starting to get going.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He has 10 points in his last 10 games, and 5 of those are goals

But yeah go off

Dobson struggled to start the season, but he has been a completely different player after Trotz benched him and sent him to the press box like 15 games ago. It's reminiscent of the leap Pelech took several years ago when Trotz benched him in the press box as well. The Pulock injury required Dobson to step up and he has elevated his game big time. Dobson and Barzal have some serious chemistry, they work very well with eachother and they have been carrying the Isles offense for a little while now.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Dobson scores a goal............he's elite!!

poster below already told you so I’m guessing you’ve realized you’re not paying attention.

If you’re an oilers fan, this post is clearly just salt because you watched today and one guy in this poll was on a different planet than the other

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Liked them both a lot at the draft, but I think I was higher on Dobson. Today I take Bouchard.
Me too. Pre-draft I had my fingers crossed we were landing Bouchard.
I was really worried about what Bouchard would look like this season because he's hardly played last season, but I'm very impressed with his progression.
Didn't expect him to learn to be as responsible as he's become so early into his career and he makes a lot of great decisions with the puck in all 3 zones.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Me too. Pre-draft I had my fingers crossed we were landing Bouchard.
I was really worried about what Bouchard would look like this season because he's hardly played last season, but I'm very impressed with his progression.
Didn't expect him to learn to be as responsible as he's become so early into his career and he makes a lot of great decisions with the puck in all 3 zones.

Isles fans were also crossing their fingers that the Oilers would take Bouchard.

Bouchard is a very talented passer, his outlet passes are especially good. His average skating limits his ability to transport the puck out of the zone, something he rarely does as he relies on passing it to offset that weakness. I still have doubts about his defensive play despite his offensive talent. I don't see #1D potential.

Dobson is a very different animal and is more well rounded. His plus skating allows him to either skate it out of the zone or make the outlet pass with equal effectiveness. He's also able to push the play and lead the rush, something he has been doing with more frequency in the more recent games. Dobson has better 4-way mobility than Bouchard and also has the reach advantage so he projects as the better defender.

Dobson looks a lot like a young Pietrangelo or maybe a Suter out there these days. He has all the look of a 25-minute all around #1D on his current trajectory. I am as thrilled today as I was on Draft Day 2018 when he fell to the Isles.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bouchard has been a trainwreck since Woodcroft took over. Any confidence he had under Tippett is gone. Dobson for the moment looks like he will be a significantly better player.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Dude either needs to sit to take in a game from above or for some rest. Whatever is up he looks like a completely different player.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Isles fans were also crossing their fingers that the Oilers would take Bouchard.

Bouchard is a very talented passer, his outlet passes are especially good. His average skating limits his ability to transport the puck out of the zone, something he rarely does as he relies on passing it to offset that weakness. I still have doubts about his defensive play despite his offensive talent. I don't see #1D potential.

Dobson is a very different animal and is more well rounded. His plus skating allows him to either skate it out of the zone or make the outlet pass with equal effectiveness. He's also able to push the play and lead the rush, something he has been doing with more frequency in the more recent games. Dobson has better 4-way mobility than Bouchard and also has the reach advantage so he projects as the better defender.

Dobson looks a lot like a young Pietrangelo or maybe a Suter out there these days. He has all the look of a 25-minute all around #1D on his current trajectory. I am as thrilled today as I was on Draft Day 2018 when he fell to the Isles.

This is a reasonable take.

I still see Bouchard's offensive upside as 2nd to very few. You are right, it's a much more cerebral offensive upside, rather than a dynamic one, given his skating. More Larry Murphy than Paul Coffey if you will.

He's been pretty solid defensively. You'd like him to get a little bit meaner in front and assertive with his will, but that may still come. What has been impressive for Oiler fans is his defensive positioning, which has been pretty solid.

Long term I see him as one of the best #2 Dmen in the league. An ideal partner for Nurse as he'll provide exceptional outlets (vs Nurse's ability to skate out of danger) and will be a bit more of a steady presence rather than a rover... they complement each other well.

Since Woodcroft took over, Bouchard has been (perhaps the only player to be) taking a step back. I think part of this is deployment, playing less time with Nurse and more time with some of our other young defenders. It tells me he's not quite experienced enough to anchor a pair, but I don't think it reflects negatively on his outlook... this is still ~his rookie season.

Reactions: wetcoast

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Was baffling to me how Dobson lasted until he did, should have been at the very worst 3rd D off the board and very easily in the top 10.

I think the perception was Dobson wasn't dynamic enough. He has no elite skill, but is just very good across the board. Considered a safe player, but is there enough mojo in his game to be a true #1?

Well, the kid is showing he's got legit #1D talent and the Isles are thankful for another gift from the hockey gods with a mid 1st round pick. Getting a #1D who is a coveted RHD at 6'4 who skates like he does and has his ability at #12 overall is ridiculous.

With the quantum leap in his game, Dobson should displace Pulock as the top dawg RHD in short order.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the perception was Dobson wasn't dynamic enough. He has no elite skill, but is just very good across the board. Considered a safe player, but is there enough mojo in his game to be a true #1?

Well, the kid is showing he's got legit #1D talent and the Isles are thankful for another gift from the hockey gods with a mid 1st round pick. Getting a #1D who is a coveted RHD at 6'4 who skates like he does and has his ability at #12 overall is ridiculous.

With the quantum leap in his game, Dobson should displace Pulock as the top dawg RHD in short order.

Speaking of Pulock, what happened to his offensive game? With his shot I figured he'd be a future John Carlson-type, but he seems to take forever to get his shot off and just never developed that high end offensive game (ie. vision, passing, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad