No Tkachuk, Zhamnov for Heritage Classic?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Yes I know. Nothing wrong with celebrating nostalgia. There's a difference though between acknowledging the past and pretending it's part of your own. The Jets seem to treat the old franchise as a part of their own history rather than a separate entity, which seems odd to me. Hence the joke.

Its a celebration of Winnipeg hockey more than anything, just like the North Stars/Wild was a celebration of Minnesota hockey.

As for the Jets 2.0 treating 1.0 as part of their history, its what the fans/customers strongly desire. If the Cleveland Browns can retain their old history with out question, then why can't the Winnipeg Jets?

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
This is the first time the Jets 2.0 (owners/management) have even acknowledged the Jets 1.0. In fact it seemed like they went out of their way to avoid it in the past. They were pretty much pressured into even calling the team the Jets. This is what the fans wanted.

For what it's worth, I am one of the few Jets fans who do not believe we should ignore the Thrashers history. But this weekend is about the heritage of hockey in Winnipeg, not the Jets 2.0 franchise.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Is this the first time they've held an alumni game and the only actual alumni of one of the teams were suiting up for the other side? Buchberger and Staios are the only alumni of this Jets franchise that played today.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
As for the Jets 2.0 treating 1.0 as part of their history, its what the fans/customers strongly desire. If the Cleveland Browns can retain their old history with out question, then why can't the Winnipeg Jets?

The Cleveland Browns situation was a result of a legal settlement over the franchise move, which didn't happen with the original Jets. It's not just some fans deciding that they live in a parralel universe where the team had never left town.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm guessing because Weight Smyth and Guerin never faced against the Jets during the rivalry days. I'd personally like to see them if Edmonton ever hosted an Alum game.

Winny should bring back everyone that was ever dear to them in their history. That's how its supposed to work no?

No doubt we'll see a BoA Heritage Classic eventually. We'll see some sick 90s/2000 grinding types.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Is this the first time they've held an alumni game and the only actual alumni of one of the teams were suiting up for the other side? Buchberger and Staios are the only alumni of this Jets franchise that played today.

Besides the odd player the Minnesota Wild alumni game consisted of mostly North Star players.

But it doesn't matter. Phoenix, Arizona may "own" the franchise history, but the true keepers to that history are the fans that grew up watching them, cheering for them and idolizing them.

This argument over who owns what is always one of the most ridiculous thing ever. If Winnipeg wants to think of Jets 2.0 as a continuation of Jets 1.0, why does it matter? And why does anyone care? It's their memories and team. They can do what they want.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
This argument over who owns what is always one of the most ridiculous thing ever. If Winnipeg wants to think of Jets 2.0 as a continuation of Jets 1.0, why does it matter? And why does anyone care? It's their memories and team. They can do what they want.

No problem with people prentending, really, but they should admit it is fantasy. As uncomfortable as the truth may be, the current Jets are an expansion team from 1999. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The Charlotte Hornets of the NBA are the perfect example of how "team history" should be handled.

Charlotte Hornets 1.0 move to New Orleans and become the New Orleans Hornets.

City of Charlotte gets an expansion team called the Charlotte Bobcats.

The New Orleans Hornets rebrand as the New Orleans Pelicans.

Charlotte Bobcats rebrand as the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

All records of the Charlotte Hornets 1.0 transferred by the NBA from the New Orleans Pelicans to the Charlotte Hornets 2.0.

"Whitfield also announced that in collaboration with the NBA and the Pelicans, all of the statistical information, records and history of the Charlotte NBA basketball will be restored to the franchise.

That means the Hornets will now own and have access to all of the historical elements from the recent Bobcats' era (2004-14) as well as the original Hornets teams that played in Charlotte - including stats from stars such as Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Muggsy Bogues.

All of the Hornets records from their years in New Orleans will revert to the Pelicans' history, Whitfield said."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/05/20/charlotte-hornets-back.ap/

If the NBA can do it the NHL can do it as well.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Still, the team does seem to be presented as some kind of franchise continuation when it's not the case. I don't see Wild fans pretending the North Stars were a part of their team's history.

Except for last year when they did exactly that.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
No problem with people prentending, really, but they should admit it is fantasy. As uncomfortable as the truth may be, the current Jets are an expansion team from 1999. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

Why does anyone need to admit anything? Why does this matter so much to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Completely absurd. Tkachuk's wife is from Winnipeg and he hosted charity golf tournaments in Manitoba for years after the team left. He also bought season tickets to Jets 2.0 and was super happy we got a team back. He had a great relationship with Zinger.

He was unpopular with some of the fanbase because he wanted to make real money in an era when the Jets had none. He signed an offer sheet with Chicago. Who could blame him?

Literally nothing you said was true.

Tkachuk gets a bad rap with some Winnipeg fans. He was a bit of a lightning rod for everything that was making the NHL non-viable in markets like Winnipeg at the time. And he was a bit of an ass in his youth as well.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He was unpopular with some of the fanbase because he wanted to make real money in an era when the Jets had none. He signed an offer sheet with Chicago. Who could blame him?

Literally nothing you said was true.

He was wildly unpopular with people in and around hockey.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
He was wildly unpopular with people in and around hockey.

Nor true at all. A recently deceased friend of mine who was employed by the NHL was best buds with Keith up until his death. He would still go visit him and his family a couple times a year,

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
If the NBA can do it the NHL can do it as well.

But they have not. The truth is out there. All you have to do is consult the media guides for the teams.

Look at the "Franchise Record Book" section for the Avalanche, for instance. It starts with the 1979-80 season. How can that be? The Colorado Rockies were the team in Denver at that time and those numbers are not the Colorado Rockies. The explanation is : those are the numbers from the Quebec Nordiques.

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yep, surely Hawerchuk, Selanne, Steen and co. were dumbfounded why they were playing an alumni game in Winnipeg. :loony:

We all know that on the ice this team was the former Atlanta Thrashers. I respect their history, but I'm not going to patronize Thrashers fans and pretend I have some deep connection to stars like Heatley, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc.

I always hated the Jets numbers retired at Coyotes games and adopting the playoff whiteout. I know their heart was in the right place, but because the Coyotes wikipedia page features Jets 1.0 and Coyotes stats it means you seek out an Arizona fan if you want to hear about what it was like when Bobby Hull signed his contract at Portage & Main and made the Jets, and the WHA, legit competition to the NHL. Or Teemu Selanne's 76 goal rookie season. And what Arizona fan could ever forget Thomas Steen playing his entire career for what are now the Coyotes! ;)

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
We all know that on the ice this team was the former Atlanta Thrashers. I respect their history, but I'm not going to patronize Thrashers fans and pretend I have some deep connection to stars like Heatley, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc

Not everybody knows this, I can assure you. The problem was that they called it an alumni game/team when nobody on the team was alumni of that franchise. Would've been more appropriate to just call it a Legends game and leave it at that. Words have meanings.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Not everybody knows this, I can assure you. The problem was that they called it an alumni game/team when nobody on the team was alumni of that franchise. Would've been more appropriate to just call it a Legends game and leave it at that. Words have meanings.

Alumni of players who were a part of Hockey Teams in Winnipeg. Why do people care so much? Are the people of Winnipeg just supposed to forget all of the players they cheered for in the past? Why does it have to be controversial? If Atlanta gets a team back are they not allowed to celebrate their past hockey heros? It's so ridiculous that people have a problem with the people of Winnipeg celebrating their past.

Nov 24, 2006
Housley, Olausson, Tkachuk, Zhamnov, etc. There were some great Jet players not there.

Tkachuk is not in game shape. He is however in buffet shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad