News Article: No Surprise, the Evander Kane rumors were very much real

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Oh, I am all on board with Schenn at wing.

If I have to watch him blow fish turds out his nose while flailing about and failing at basic positioning or losing his man at center I will lose my mind.

+1 to him on the wing. There's just plenty more viable options that I'd choose over him there and I don't get why he's still there.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think we know from main-board experience that the maximum we would be comfortable with giving up for Kane and the minimum Jets fans would demand are far apart.

Personally, I'd go BSchenn, one of Grossmann/LSchenn/MacDonald, '15 1st, Hagg.

Well, truth be told, I'd be inclined to include Morin and the pick a max 2nd because I'm not high on Morin reaching his potential, but I know I'm in the vast minority here on this point.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for Kane. That 2015 1st could well be a lottery pick.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I think we know from main-board experience that the maximum we would be comfortable with giving up for Kane and the minimum Jets fans would demand are far apart.

Personally, I'd go BSchenn, one of Grossmann/LSchenn/MacDonald, '15 1st, Hagg.

Well, truth be told, I'd be inclined to include Morin and the pick a max 2nd because I'm not high on Morin reaching his potential, but I know I'm in the vast minority here on this point.

That seems like way too much to me, and I really like the idea of acquiring Kane.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
oh, I thought you were against having him on the team.
thought you wanted him banished to Siberia :laugh:

Oh no, I think he has two options:

1) Realize he's not a center and has a skill set ideal for playing wing to a playmaking center.

2) Failing that, stop wasting everyone's time by retiring from hockey. Perhaps he could find a job gutting fish for minimum wage in a Vietnamese fish factory.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not opposed to dealing for Kane, but I am quite certain it would have been a huge overpayment (Schenn+defensive player/prospect+pick(s) at least). Would not have been happy with the package, methinks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
McKenize made it sound like Winnipeg is going to give Kane every opportunity this year (top line minutes with Blake Wheeler & Mark Scheifele) to see if he'll sink or swim.

If he sinks you might be able to get him at a cheaper price at a later date.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I wouldn't mind trading for Kane, especially since I don't think we're making the playoffs this year and he would make the team better in the long run.

Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn and a conditional first (becomes a 2nd if we miss the playoffs)

For Kane

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I wouldn't mind trading for Kane, especially since I don't think we're making the playoffs this year and he would make the team better in the long run.

Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn and a conditional first (becomes a 2nd if we miss the playoffs)

For Kane

id do that even thought we dont have a 2nd this year. can't give up a first this year because i to think that that ill be a lottery pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It depends on the assets, but Kane only has four years left at $5.25m while Ryan will be looking for seven years at $7m or more. That's a pretty big difference in favor of Kane (who is also four years younger).

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Kane's one of my favorite players and would fit perfectly with Giroux imo but good on the front office for not pulling the trigger on this one. Anything more than B. Schenn+ a pick is an overpayment for Kane who I think will only end up slightly more productive than Schenn anyway

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It depends on the assets, but Kane only has four years left at $5.25m while Ryan will be looking for seven years at $7m or more. That's a pretty big difference in favor of Kane (who is also four years younger).

The "assets" would certainly be something substantial, which is why I'm (probably) glad that the trade didn't actually happen this summer.

With the Rogers deal kicking into the cap next year, a $7M first line winger won't be out of the norm. Given what the Jets would want for Kane, Ryan for "free" is almost always the better option.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I would guess Jets wanted Brayden, 1 of the 4 D men and high pick/Prospect

If the Flyers were close to acquiring him I actually think his value was much less than that. Brayden Schenn+Luke Schenn+pick maybe for Kane and maybe a throw in defender from their side? I'm not sure but I think we all tend to over value our players and think the asking price at one point was astronomical but they had to come down.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
no one wants him.

I was a supporter of him but I am all for moving him. I want the defense to be quick and physical. We can have that with players like Morin and Sanheim in a few. Schenn really provides one thing and he has some big gaffs in the defensive zone at times.

I saw you said yo don't expect the Flyers to go far in the season as well, I am in that boat. I think we actually have some valuable assets in players like Coburn and Grossmann on the back end. Teams at the deadline would pay for those guys. Schenn I am not so sure, but if he does move we just have to let go of the JVR for Schenn and take him for what his worth is now.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I know it's the same old swan song, but I really just feel like when we have defense as awful as ours, it doesn't matter what top forwards we have on our team. Although I really wish we could have picked up Kane, because mind you I am a fan of him, I feel like we need more solid D-men. Yeah, sure, a #1 would be awesome but I don't think Shea Weber is gonna be a Flyer anytime soon. The only 2 competent (not good, competent) D-men we have are Coburn and AMac. MDZ has so much to prove, L. Schenn is either playing OK or like total ass, Streit is a grandpa, and Grossmann's talent goes without saying.

I think we should be praying that our prospects develop a lot more than hoping for more offense. Our first line is as good as you could realistically want, our second is OK, and our 3/4 are all you could really ask for our of a 3/4 line.

Until we get someone in front of Mase that has a remote clue what we're doing, I don't think we have a shot in hell of getting further then the first round of the playoffs. I'm praying Morin/Hagg/Ghost/Alt develop into something.

Again, heavily opinion based. Kinda ran off topic but all I'm saying is I really don't care what forwards we're rumored to grab when our defense is god awful.

I agree with this. The problem is that you need defense to win. Even if our young d-men do develop into top players, it would take probably at least 4 years for this to happen. By then, will our forwards be too old?

Since it is nigh impossible to obtain real #1 d-men via trade or FA signing anymore, we have to develop our own, which means time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was a supporter of him but I am all for moving him. I want the defense to be quick and physical. We can have that with players like Morin and Sanheim in a few. Schenn really provides one thing and he has some big gaffs in the defensive zone at times.

I saw you said yo don't expect the Flyers to go far in the season as well, I am in that boat. I think we actually have some valuable assets in players like Coburn and Grossmann on the back end. Teams at the deadline would pay for those guys. Schenn I am not so sure, but if he does move we just have to let go of the JVR for Schenn and take him for what his worth is now.

If last year's any indication no they won't. They'll go for about what they're worth or possibly below that. I also don't see many first round picks for this year being moved by teams around the league.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If last year's any indication no they won't. They'll go for about what they're worth or possibly below that. I also don't see many first round picks for this year being moved by teams around the league.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the value of defenders GM's put on players. Grossmann I don't think would get a 1st back but if Coburn was on the market I think he would get a pretty large return. Defenders are always more sought out after than forwards at the deadline.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only thing I disagree with you about is the value of defenders GM's put on players. Grossmann I don't think would get a 1st back but if Coburn was on the market I think he would get a pretty large return. Defenders are always more sought out after than forwards at the deadline.

The most you're getting for Grossmann is a second round plus possibly something else that's small but that's also dependent on how he plays this year. If he plays like he did last year than you're not getting that. Personally I don't care if we trade him nor am I expecting much in return if that indeed happens.

Coburn I'm not moving at the deadline. I would wait at least until the draft if I'm looking to move him at all. You'll at least have a full year of evaluation of most of the young guys at a pro level in positions that were suitable for their current level of play. The value could possibly be even higher at that time plus teams may be more inclined to part with their first round pick for this year when knowing where they are selecting as well as having a better idea of what their draft board looks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00