No surgery needed for Datsyuk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Apparently it looks like Datsyuk won't be having surgery this summer:
The summer of healing appears to be off to a good start for Pavel Datsyuk, who spent half the season plagued by inflammation in his left knee. “It looks like he’s not having surgery,†[Red Wings GM Ken] Holland said. “At the end of the year, he had no pain, he wasn’t playing on painkillers. He’s going to stay in touch with doctors, but I don’t think he’s going to have surgery.†Datsyuk said last week he had an MRI scheduled to determine if he’d need his knee surgically repaired.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...datsyuk?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That is great news as long as it doesn't come back to bite him next season. We don't want him playing on one leg most of next season too. But a long off-season with good health means he'll hopefully be himself when the season starts.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Not sure how good this news actually is. If surgery won't fix Datsyuk's knee that means it is a recurring problem he will have for the rest of his career. Hopefully he is able to manage to pain and be able to stay in the lineup for most of a season.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Not sure how good this news actually is. If surgery won't fix Datsyuk's knee that means it is a recurring problem he will have for the rest of his career. Hopefully he is able to manage to pain and be able to stay in the lineup for most of a season.

I agree. I was also a little concerned that the AK article mentioned the hockey people thought he had his quickness and stride back after the "shut down," while I don't think he looked bad, he certainly didn't look the same…at least to me.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I'm not sure if Dats' speed will ever be where it was once was. Of course, I'm meaning last year. Dats really doesn't need elite speed in his game though (wasn't elite to begin with). I'd like to see a speedster (Nyquist) molded with Dats. I've been saying this all year/off-season, Z with Weiss seems like a great idea with Mule on the right side.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not sure if Dats' speed will ever be where it was once was. Of course, I'm meaning last year. Dats really doesn't need elite speed in his game though (wasn't elite to begin with). I'd like to see a speedster (Nyquist) molded with Dats. I've been saying this all year/off-season, Z with Weiss seems like a great idea with Mule on the right side.

Yeah, these could work:

Zeta - Weiss - Mule
Gus - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - etc.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Yeah, these could work:

Zeta - Weiss - Mule
Gus - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - etc.

Agreed. I actually don't mind moving Abdelkader down "on paper" to line 4. You then have a free agent/trade/Mantha with Dats, and then Alfredsson/Jurco on line 3. Been the lines I've been pitching all off-season.

Zetterberg-Weiss-Mule
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Mantha/Moulson/etc
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco/Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader
Glendening

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah I agree that Datsyuk's speed and bursts will likely never be what it once was. And it won't be because he doesn't have surgery. It's because he's slowly creeping towards 40 before our very own eyes.

I can't think of many (or any) guys who were as quick at 35+ as they were when they were 28-33.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have no faith in our training staff. Absolutely zero.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Yeah I agree that Datsyuk's speed and bursts will likely never be what it once was. And it won't be because he doesn't have surgery. It's because he's slowly creeping towards 40 before our very own eyes.

I can't think of many (or any) guys who were as quick at 35+ as they were when they were 28-33.

Well I mean a knee injury to a 35 year old will likely take away much speed down the road.. It's not just because he's 35 years old, it's because he got a serious knee injury at 35 if that makes any sense.

I'm crossing my fingers for Abdelkader to keep up his progession and take another leap. His scoring touch keeps him off top lines as it's so bad. Nyquist-Datsyuk-Mantha line to me just seems soft.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm crossing my fingers for Abdelkader to keep up his progession and take another leap. His scoring touch keeps him off top lines as it's so bad. Nyquist-Datsyuk-Mantha line to me just seems soft.

I don't know; I think Mantha could develop a little bit of grit to his game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well I mean a knee injury to a 35 year old will likely take away much speed down the road.. It's not just because he's 35 years old, it's because he got a serious knee injury at 35 if that makes any sense.

Jurco is that guy. Skill, size, physicality.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I don't know; I think Mantha could develop a little bit of grit to his game.

You think he develops into that in his rookie year in the NHL? I personally want him in the AHL for one year to fully adjust. I'm not sure if he's ready for this. This team is competing for the playoffs, unlike other teenagers coming up like Sean Monahan in Calgary, etc. I don't think Mantha would be too strong in the NHL.

Jurco is that guy. Skill, size, physicality.

Agreed. For some reason, I think he starts the year in Grand Rapids though. Jurco hasn't been used with Dats since like game 1-3, so I really didn't put it down as I don't see it happening. I want Jurco to do more than win a board battle, and pass the puck to Tats right away. He might have the highest ceiling of Tatar and Nyquist.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I know but what about it? Training staff doesn't really have anything to do with injury prevention. That is on their strength and conditioning coach. And most of them go to separate guys for that too. If anything we should be questioning those guys. If I am going full on speculation I bet some of these guys are going to some new age cross fit guru that is making their joints weak and flimsy.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I think the training staff idea gets overblown as well.

Some of the groin issues became excessive, I don't question that, but some of that falls on the players listening to their bodies better as well. Weiss, for example, has since stated that he probably never should have started the season.

Most of the other injuries aren't related to the training staff at all. Heads, fingers, shoulders, knees, lacerations. Those are injuries that happen in hockey and sport. Training staffs aren't going to prevent those when they happen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know but what about it? Training staff doesn't really have anything to do with injury prevention. That is on their strength and conditioning coach. And most of them go to separate guys for that too. If anything we should be questioning those guys. If I am going full on speculation I bet some of these guys are going to some new age cross fit guru that is making their joints weak and flimsy.

Joint injuries weren't the headscratchers. It was how many groin injuries started happening several months into the season when these guys should have been loosened up from playing.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I'm saying don't blame the training staff. Once you pull it you are the training staff's job before that it is on whomever was training you.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Joint injuries weren't the headscratchers. It was how many groin injuries started happening several months into the season when these guys should have been loosened up from playing.

There's actually some new evidence that shows the "loosened up" thing isn't really accurate.

Here's a link to an abstract of a recent meta-analysis. A meta-analysis of randomized control trials is one of the strongest forms of research, so this looks pretty reliable. Stretching was one of the ineffective measures.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24370993

I have the full text but I don't know how to link it and I don't want to break any rules, but I thought some folks might like to see some data.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have no faith in our training staff. Absolutely zero.

This, there has to be turnover in that group this off-season. I am sure Piet Van Zant is a nice guy and has had a great 19 years within the organization but he needs to answer for what is going on, it is unacceptable.

On the topic, I don't think this is the good news some are taking it as. Thought they talked about removing scar tissue, probably sounds like after they looked closely he doesn't have enough cartilage to do that kind of procedure. Don't know that for a fact, but remember at some point the tendonitis was from something within the knee that needed cleaning. I just wants Dats healthy, so hopefully this does heal, but really there has to be something causing all that inflammation in the first place.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
but really there has to be something causing all that inflammation in the first place.

There are a dozen possible explanations and not all of them would require surgery. And some of them have no solution at all, outside of pain management.

Sometimes bodies just break down and there's nothing to be done to prevent or treat it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There are a dozen possible explanations and not all of them would require surgery. And some of them have no solution at all, outside of pain management.

Sometimes bodies just break down and there's nothing to be done to prevent or treat it.

Which is exactly why I am concerned. I mean I hope it is the rest takes care of it, but I just think it is a situation of even surgery won't clean up some of what ails you. Yzerman got that told to him on his knee for years. We aren't in the room and it is just speculation, but I for one am not necessarily less concerned about this having the no surgery label. We will see, I hope this is a dead issue, just to me it probably means at 35+ there isn't much they can do to fix what is causing this to happen. It also might mean some of his summer training is wiped out.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
This, there has to be turnover in that group this off-season. I am sure Piet Van Zant is a nice guy and has had a great 19 years within the organization but he needs to answer for what is going on, it is unacceptable.

Blame art of strength not Piet van zant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad