Boston Globe No sellouts, mandatory masks: Delaware North is studying how fans can return to TD Garden safely

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They better give STHs an out.

We were already on the fence about renewing, I want no part of this.
I don’t think they can pull it off without vaccine

They need a highly ‘effective’ albeit not perfect like the flu shot.

The people I go with ranging from low 30’s to 50’s are not that excited about going to games with SO MANY issues.

The experience the way they are talking about falls in the ‘hassle to sucks’ range

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The other thing the Garden has to think about is transportation. I don't know the numbers, but anecdotally there are HUGE numbers who take the T to the games - myself included. I have two basic MOs - short drive to take the green line all the way in (most of the time), or drive part way and park in a discounted spot I have by the Common and take the orange or green line in for just 3-4 stops. Either way, I'd be exposed to a lot of people, both live and in terms of the germs they leave behind. I'm not in a super-high risk category, but I'm responsible for people who are.

The garage would be a clearly safer option at this point and in the foreseeable future, but the price is absolutely ridiculous - and it's ridiculous precisely because they probably fill up for almost every event. Is it feasible for all 17,000+ people to park at the Garden garage - or even park at the outlying lots, and avoid taking the T? I don't think so.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The other thing the Garden has to think about is transportation. I don't know the numbers, but anecdotally there are HUGE numbers who take the T to the games - myself included. I have two basic MOs - short drive to take the green line all the way in (most of the time), or drive part way and park in a discounted spot I have by the Common and take the orange or green line in for just 3-4 stops. Either way, I'd be exposed to a lot of people, both live and in terms of the germs they leave behind. I'm not in a super-high risk category, but I'm responsible for people who are.

The garage would be a clearly safer option at this point and in the foreseeable future, but the price is absolutely ridiculous - and it's ridiculous precisely because they probably fill up for almost every event. Is it feasible for all 17,000+ people to park at the Garden garage - or even park at the outlying lots, and avoid taking the T? I don't think so.

i park near government center and walk, usually its 9 bucks. Sometimes it’s 13. The key is booking it for earlier time so you avoid event rates. I think they allow you an hour or so to get in after your booked time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine if the Bruins or Celtics were not elite and hard their exceptional high tickets to go along with the Covid-19 multiple issues required to deal with

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think they can pull it off without vaccine

They need a highly ‘effective’ albeit not perfect like the flu shot.

The people I go with ranging from low 30’s to 50’s are not that excited about going to games with SO MANY issues.

The experience the way they are talking about falls in the ‘hassle to sucks’ range

Things are different now than 2 months ago and likely will be better in 4 months.

But if the extremely high survival rate isn’t enough we’ll probably have to wait a couple years for the fear to subside until we can do anything in groups again (other than demonstrate/riot still haven’t seen any posts about how that is spreading covid but that’s all well here about when events return.) I support the protests too and will attend next weekend if things get more peaceful and there won’t be violence.

If they are going to reduce capacity to get fans in there 17,565 to 12,000 isn’t making a difference you have to go down to 5-6k. Who’s seats do you move and who gets to stay in theirs?

Would be nice to see ST holders be able to take a year off and not lose their priority/seats/spots in line. As this will end eventually as much as it feels like certain folks don’t want it to. And I do think an extra year for things to clear up would be the perfect compromise and allow the Bruins to maintain their base and not lose people who won’t be ready this September.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Things are different now than 2 months ago and likely will be better in 4 months.

But if the extremely high survival rate isn’t enough we’ll probably have to wait a couple years for the fear to subside until we can do anything in groups again (other than demonstrate/riot still haven’t seen any posts about how that is spreading covid but that’s all well here about when events return.) I support the protests too and will attend next weekend if things get more peaceful and there won’t be violence.

If they are going to reduce capacity to get fans in there 17,565 to 12,000 isn’t making a difference you have to go down to 5-6k. Who’s seats do you move and who gets to stay in theirs?

Would be nice to see ST holders be able to take a year off and not lose their priority/seats/spots in line. As this will end eventually as much as it feels like certain folks don’t want it to. And I do think an extra year for things to clear up would be the perfect compromise and allow the Bruins to maintain their base and not lose people who won’t be ready this September.
I Would think a good chunk of season ticket holder lost jobs and will ax their tickets

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ugg that too. Prices are ridiculous now with the annual raises.
There is no way they can do this without the equivalent of a flu like vaccine ~ not perfect but highly effective

Going to a game will be a freaking serious hassle

why bother

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This seems to only make sense for those that live/work in Boston. For anyone else to come up 3 hrs+ early is ridiculous.

Their numbers also seem really off in terms of spacing.

All and all they should find other ways to try to make money and bring fans some cool experiences. Due a stream on their website that you pay extra for and get full access to the locker room or mic’d up players. I don’t know, there has to be a way to bring in some revenue without bringing 12,000 people together. One case of COVID in the middle of 12,000 people could pop up some massive outbreaks in places.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
@Fenway

If they wanted to could they add a second entrance by the old pro shop near the loading truck? I know it was part of the original designs.

There is effectively only one entrance even if you have to sides to choose from. Yes it looks cooler now but no problems were solved.

How many entrances did the old Garden have? I kind of remember being able to get in from all sides of the building.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Fenway

If they wanted to could they add a second entrance by the old pro shop near the loading truck? I know it was part of the original designs.

There is effectively only one entrance even if you have to sides to choose from. Yes it looks cooler now but no problems were solved.

How many entrances did the old Garden have? I kind of remember being able to get in from all sides of the building.

I think they could

The old Garden had the east and west lobbies and both gates had direct access to the elevated trains

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't honestly know, that was just my guess. I hope people who don't feel comfortable don't have to go.
But as a STH you have already paid. They have been hitting my credit card every month starting in March . I am not sure I could sell if I didn't feel comfortable going. This is a lot of money for me.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
It is going to be a very interesting start to next season ( whenever that is)

Right now I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a closed arena with 6-10,000 people ( the mention of 12,000 is truly fools gold).

Until there is vaccine that is proven to be effective and a system to show all who attend have been vaccinated going to a game isn't a viable option. And if the Bruins refuse to either refund STH money or apply it to a future year there will be a stream of lawsuits.

Reactions: talkinaway

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
But as a STH you have already paid. They have been hitting my credit card every month starting in March . I am not sure I could sell if I didn't feel comfortable going. This is a lot of money for me.

The Bruins need to do the right thing and work with the fans..I unfortunately don't have a lot of faith in them doing that. Not without bad press first.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It is going to be a very interesting start to next season ( whenever that is)

Right now I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a closed arena with 6-10,000 people ( the mention of 12,000 is truly fools gold).

Until there is vaccine that is proven to be effective and a system to show all who attend have been vaccinated going to a game isn't a viable option. And if the Bruins refuse to either refund STH money or apply it to a future year there will be a stream of lawsuits.

Honestly, I question whether 2020-21 will take place at all, much less having fans in the arena. And a full slate of 82 games per team? Nope.

The Bs have done a couple of semi-not-terrible things for STHs who held on for 2020-21, but I'm waiting to see what comes next. I paid my 10% in March. They offered to skip April, in return for rolling it into the next 8 payments, bumping each payment from 10% each to 11.25% each. May's payment was offset by the 6 regular season games, which are now cancelled, so I have my "money back".

I haven't done the total math yet, but I'm already in probably about 25% of my plan, since I still have some credit from the regular season games that will apply towards this month. Once July hits, I will have paid 32.5% of my bill for a season that won't start until December at the earliest. If you assume that half the games will be cancelled (which is generously high), then it's actually 65%. That means I paid for December, January, and most of March already.

They definitely need to tread lightly. JJ has counted on diehards who are waiting to become STHs, and I'm guilty as charged. I've put up with a reasonable amount of bull, particularly this season. But the rules have completely changed. We lost our playoff tickets. We lost decent seating. And no matter how good the stadium is, we'll be at some form of risk going, particularly on public transportation. Our tickets are close to worthless, and that's what we should be paying for them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Honestly, I question whether 2020-21 will take place at all, much less having fans in the arena. And a full slate of 82 games per team? Nope.

The Bs have done a couple of semi-not-terrible things for STHs who held on for 2020-21, but I'm waiting to see what comes next. I paid my 10% in March. They offered to skip April, in return for rolling it into the next 8 payments, bumping each payment from 10% each to 11.25% each. May's payment was offset by the 6 regular season games, which are now cancelled, so I have my "money back".

I haven't done the total math yet, but I'm already in probably about 25% of my plan, since I still have some credit from the regular season games that will apply towards this month. Once July hits, I will have paid 32.5% of my bill for a season that won't start until December at the earliest. If you assume that half the games will be cancelled (which is generously high), then it's actually 65%. That means I paid for December, January, and most of March already.

They definitely need to tread lightly. JJ has counted on diehards who are waiting to become STHs, and I'm guilty as charged. I've put up with a reasonable amount of bull, particularly this season. But the rules have completely changed. We lost our playoff tickets. We lost decent seating. And no matter how good the stadium is, we'll be at some form of risk going, particularly on public transportation. Our tickets are close to worthless, and that's what we should be paying for them.
I wish they would suspend payments for 20/21 until they know if there will be games.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Yeah that is a rough spot for sure. I hope there will be a full refund, or, at the VERY least, full credit towards a future season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad