Boston Globe No sellouts, mandatory masks: Delaware North is studying how fans can return to TD Garden safely

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No sellouts, mandatory masks: Delaware North is studying how fans can return to TD Garden safely - The Boston Globe

▪ Controlled entry. To avoid a crush at the door and diminish risk of infection, gates will open earlier, perhaps three hours ahead of game time for suite-holders and two hours for general seating — an additional hour in each case.

▪ Ticket-holders could be required to reserve an entry time, designating, say, a 15-minute window of when to arrive at a particular gate. In this sense, getting into the Garden could be akin to boarding a plane, be it by zone or status, the latter defined by class of seat or brand loyalty in the form of season-ticket longevity.

▪ Unless or until a vaccine is developed, the days of a Garden sellout upward of 18,000 will be over. The aim of the “Safer Stadia” initiative, according to Todd Merry, Delaware North’s chief marketing officer, is to develop strategies that would allow for a maximum of 12,000-14,000 fans in the building.

▪ The mandatory wearing of masks. This will be de rigueur for all building staff, including ushers, concessionaires, and the like, and likely for all fans, other than when they are eating or drinking.
▪ Amended protocols around the serving of food and beverages. Nothing much is expected to change operationally around the Garden’s dozens of concession stands, although a smaller attendance base should translate to less volume at each station. Added stands also could thin out lines.

Elsewhere, high-end clubs and suites most likely will eliminate most of the buffet all-you-can-eat opportunities.

Part of Delaware North’s hope is that its “Safer Stadia” practices can be adopted industry-wide, at arenas and ballparks around the world. All with the realization, and hope, that the more restrictive portions can be dropped if a vaccine is developed.

Reactions: JMCx4

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Nope. Nope. Nope. I get the aims of what they're trying to do here, but it's not going to work well.

The gate opening THREE HOURS before the game? What the hell are people going to do for THREE HOURS? Oh, drink. And eat. I guess that's always been the plan, given that whenever they have their rare giveaways, they give it to only about 1/4 of the crowd at most, which gets people locked into the Garden early. It's an awful big ask for people to hang out for three hours before the game AND three hours during the game, particularly on a weekday.

I always vaguely wondered about having "fast pass" lines or windows for big wigs. You could do that to reserve game-day giveaways for tenured STHs, too - you go to a specific gate that lets you come late AND collect your bauble. I even thought of forcing people to come early - that would actually work well for concerts, where the crowd isn't quite as knowledgeable as to how to get around the Garden. Also, for one time concerts, people ARE willing to spend more time at the Garden. I can't say that I want to spend an extra two hours in the Garden for an October game against the Wild.

It's going to be eerie with the masks. I'm not sure it will work. Eating and drinking? It's already a clusterf*** trying to take any form of food into the balcony seats when people are already shoulder-to-shoulder. Add in Karen with her giant purse and bag containing a sequined Marchand jersey, her child Brayden with the giant bear claw, and Chad's two beers and nachos, and managing the space to eat all that while pulling your mask down every time? Plus, is it safe? Touching masks is a bad idea in general.

Also inside: the lines going OUT of the Garden are going to be impossible to socially distance. There's ALWAYS going to be people who leave early. Always people who are going to want to stay until the end. It's ALWAYS a crowd getting out.

Honestly, I think fans will have to skip most of 2020-21 - at the very least until we get a vaccine. It almost makes me wonder if we're going to have an "immunity card" given out by doctors. I saw on NOVA that China has monitored temperature checks at some points, and they download a pass on your card that lets you enter certain areas if your temperature is clear - and I think the pass lasts for a certain amount of time. Will our Apple Wallets on our iPhones now have an iMmunity card?

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
You’d have to be out of your f***ing mind, or totally dont give a shit about fellow humans, to go enclosed arenas like this.

Count me out.

What about regular flu season? Do those people who go to the game then not care about fellow humans? Only .1 percent die of the flu and .4 for Coronavirus so I'd like to know where you draw the imaginary moral line? .25? .29? Logically you also fail in realizing that despite what the media has told you, you can choose whether or not to be exposed. Assuming risk is what all those people would be doing. If you choose to continue to isolate then power to you that is your choice. But the needs and good of those few should not be dictated to the needs of the many to the extent we are starting to risk global economic collapse, famine and war.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What about regular flu season? Do those people who go to the game then not care about fellow humans? Only .1 percent die of the flu and .4 for Coronavirus so I'd like to know where you draw the imaginary moral line? .25? .29? Logically you also fail in realizing that despite what the media has told you, you can choose whether or not to be exposed. Assuming risk is what all those people would be doing. If you choose to continue to isolate then power to you that is your choice. But the needs and good of those few should not be dictated to the needs of the many to the extent we are starting to risk global economic collapse, famine and war.

This isnt the flu. Still waiting for your herd immunity proof.
Good luck playing God and putting greed over life.

you live with your position Im happy with mine.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Unbelievable

forget it - outrageous if he wants to do this for next year

I work I can’t schedule I time

Here’s an idea wait till they get some type of treatment

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Stop comparing COVID-19 to the flu - The Ellsworth American

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28
After reading this, I get what they’re trying to do but realistically it won’t work. First off, nobody wants to sit in the Garden 3 hours before a game. There’s nothing to do and honestly, after what JJ did to his employees, who’s really in a rush to spend more $ on concessions? I never did but this just solidified it for me. Then you can’t do scheduled times to enter. Stuff happens...traffic on Storrow or 93, MBTA issues, having to stay at work a little later, seeing a buddy you haven’t seen in years before who wants to have 1 more beer. It’s not realistic. You can’t control lines. You can’t say when it’s ok to use the restroom, buy a beer or leave. If they’re losing 5-1 with 4 to go you can’t force anyone to stay. I think if they’re shooting for 12-14K, well isn’t the garden STH capacity about 13K STH? Do what the Pats are doing, if you aren’t comfortable with going, you don’t lose your tickets and no penalty. STH should get first crack. Another thing is if you only keep a certain % of games for yourself and the rest to sell, you may wanna go but how about your circle of friends who buy your seats? I’d propose they have entry lines for different STH tenures.platinum,.gold, silver, black then a GA entry. There’s no easy solution. I know they want fans for 20/21 but sometimes they have to realize it just may not be in the cards right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Absurd. Pure greed.

Fans want to sit, socially distanced, for 2+ hours prior to puck drop? That's a horrible experience. They better not punish STHs.

Sports are a business... you might even lose money at times.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I want no part of a 12,000 person crowd. If they open i hope they aren’t forcing people back to work

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Well it's probably go back to work or lose your job and get denied unemployment benefits.

it’s all union staff, that would never fly. This is going to start arguments I’m sure.

it’s all seniority and attendance based in my department. My guess is that these games would be off the books in terms of Employee
attendance percentages.

and if you end up being correct, so be it. I’m alive.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
it’s all union staff, that would never fly. This is going to start arguments I’m sure.

it’s all seniority and attendance based in my department. My guess is that these games would be off the books in terms of Employee
attendance percentages.

and if you end up being correct, so be it. I’m alive.

I don't honestly know, that was just my guess. I hope people who don't feel comfortable don't have to go.

Reactions: TD Charlie

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
This is going to be very interesting

On one hand Delaware North is all about maximizing profits. Their m.o. has been get as many people into an event as can fit and get them to spend as much as possible at as big a profit margin as possible...in the past they really haven't been very concerned with public opinion or optics

On the other hand if you don't give STH an out from going to games DN faces two major legal risks

risk 1- someone gets sick and sues, claiming DN did not provide a safe venue

risk 2- a group of STHs approach the AG about a class action suit contending the circumstances under which they paid for their seats have changed in a material and substantial manner

Both present significant legal risk and in a changing world a major pr nightmare that DN might not be able to ignore

Like I said- should be interesting

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
At some point we have to figure out how to move forward in our new reality.

What surprised me was the proposed attendance of 12,000 - 14,000. Is that going to be significantly safer than 18,000? That's close to full attendance in some markets.

It's also a huge leap from no fans for the upcoming playoffs.

I was thinking of easing in with a fan every third seat in just the lower bowl, but that won't pay the bills.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Delaware North is a family-owned business that is 100% hospitality and they are getting hammered worldwide. DN always had money coming in from somewhere but right now there is nothing.

No one is going to feel bad for Jacobs but the Hub on Causeway has now become a black hole with only the supermarket running.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Without a vaccine don’t see how they can do this.

everything from young kids coming Down to the front row before games to dealing with the bathroom situation

it’s just going to be one big hassle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Delaware North is a family-owned business that is 100% hospitality and they are getting hammered worldwide. DN always had money coming in from somewhere but right now there is nothing.

No one is going to feel bad for Jacobs but the Hub on Causeway has now become a black hole with only the supermarket running.
I talked to one of my friends who owns 8 seats (that’s right and all for friends not a scalper); he’s got Legends and early 60’s but even though he plays tennis every week and hits the gym multiple days a week he had heart problems 10 years ago.

The guys house is like the Bruins sports museum section. He told me yesterday without a vaccine he doesn’t think he can or should go. I’m putting him around $90-100,000 in tickets a year

I don’t see how they can pull it off without a vaccine

I know a lot of people who are both queezy about going and voicing a negative vibe between costs of the tickets and the extra time and reduced experience.

I am right with them.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Im sure all the people they’ve treated so well over the years will be happy to support them in this difficult time....yeah, that’s sarcasm.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This is going to be very interesting

On one hand Delaware North is all about maximizing profits. Their m.o. has been get as many people into an event as can fit and get them to spend as much as possible at as big a profit margin as possible...in the past they really haven't been very concerned with public opinion or optics

On the other hand if you don't give STH an out from going to games DN faces two major legal risks

risk 1- someone gets sick and sues, claiming DN did not provide a safe venue

risk 2- a group of STHs approach the AG about a class action suit contending the circumstances under which they paid for their seats have changed in a material and substantial manner

Both present significant legal risk and in a changing world a major pr nightmare that DN might not be able to ignore

Like I said- should be interesting

This is very interesting, because I thought of this myself. Not the AG part, but the fact that my 2020-21 regular "experience" is NOT going to be anything at all like what i was promised. If it were just the case of delaying the season from, say, October-April to a compressed January-early June schedule, I would have a hard time arguing that that's material to STHs. STHs buy tickets knowing they're on the hook for any rescheduled games, and that rescheduling isn't awful.

But, there are other factors, too. A compressed schedule means fewer regular season games, with probably the same number of preseason games. But the quality of the regular season games may improve, as the first games to get axed would be the Western Conference games. We can call that a wash.

But the BIG factor that changes is the value of the tickets. The first selling point you see on the Bruins website for STHs is "save save save over individual tickets!!!" STHs who committed in early March (moi) at a high price will NOT be saving when 2020-21 rolls around. Maybe people will be anxious to get back to hockey, but I think a lot more will be anxious about the coronavirus. STHs won't be able to resell their tickets at anywhere near face value.

Plus, STH benefits will decrease. We already lost access to the 2020 playoffs - the biggest benefit of them all. Does anyone think that this November, they're going to do their annual team event for STHs, so that they can have a pic of Tuukka and their family to go on the Christmas card? Fat chance. To make it clear: I am NOT saying that those events should go on - they absolutely shouldn't! But, to a degree, STHs are paying for access them, and we can't have them anymore. On the positive side, they are trying: STHs are getting invites to random town halls.

Another benefit gone: they were supposed to revamp the seats in the balcony. I'm not quite sure how REMOVING the padding on the seats will make them better, especially when my personal problem is horizontal, not vertical. But there's no way they're going to be able to do everything that they've been promising for years: better seats, better ice, junking the 13 year-old board.

Reactions: Kate08

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe for the 2021-2022 season, but right now, gatherings of the proposed size seems way too optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad