No player in the NHL utilizes high-speed like MacKinnon and its not even close..

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I was just looking at the skating stats for NHL EDGE....lets take a minute to appreciate just how ridiculous MacKinnon is in relentlessly using high speed for his attack.

22+ MPH bursts:

1. MacKinnon - 118
2. McDavid - 65
3. Necas - 49
4. Hintz - 44
5. Tippett - 44

20+ MPH bursts

1. MacKinnon - 706
2. McDavid - 452
3. Point - 434
4. Hintz - 400
5. Necas - 362

This is absolute insanity. I think everyone knows McDavid is faster and still the best skater in the NHL, but there is no denying that MacKinnon brings speed at a frequency that nobody, even McDavid can touch. He literally laps the field. Almost twice as many 22+mph as McDavid this year - and 2.5X more than anyone else. 50% more 20 mph burst than McDavid even. Its crazy.

Even if we look at McDavid the last 2 years healthy - he had 81 and 89 bursts over 22mph. MacKinnon is absolutely blowing that out of the water. Now we only have this data for 3 seasons so its hard to get a picture of the past, but there's a good chance there has never been a player in NHL history bring this much speed this often. Maybe Bure?

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That’s the power of chickpea pasta, baby.

In all honesty, not surprised by these stats. His explosiveness is insane. He’s carried the Avs around this season. Somewhat worried he won’t have the next step cone playoffs considering the minutes and intensity he’s been playing at.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
The amazing thing for me is how he's able to control play at that speed. I feel like a lot of guys could go really fast but would end up making wild passes, mishandling the puck, or missing the net by ten feet.

I also love how Kucherov's style contrasts with Makar, McDavid, and MacKinnon. Like it's still possible to be playing at the very top tier through supreme poise and control.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
MacKinnon's lower body has enough power to generate some crazy speed within 1-2 strides and the change up in speed can really throw you off, it's very hard to defend that.

Reactions: authentic

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Players have chips on their jerseys

Kessel was ahead of his time. Always had a bag of Lays up his sleeve.

IMG_6772.jpeg

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I wonder how he will adapt his game once his speed starts to go. Its typically the first skill to go as you get older and he clearly relies on it much more than the other elite players.
Does it?

I still remember a bunch of oldtimers winning teh fastest skater contests (Mike Gartner at 36) and Paul Coffey was still a speedster at 38. He just sucked as a player.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
So probably not perfect
the margin for error would have to be pretty big for MacKinnon to still not lap the field though.

If it was close you could maaaybe say "well we don't know how accurate it really is".

When one person is almost double #2, its pretty safe to say they are legitimately leaps and bounds ahead in that regard.

Too bad for MacGinnon that skate fast is his only move.

McDavid and Kucherov can move plenty fast but can also slow the game down and pick apart defenses.

If there's two guys back in the zone defending the Aves can't create any offense.

Yep, his only move got him 138 pts and counting....

I remember on your old account when you said he would never eclipse 70 pts...good times

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
the margin for error would have to be pretty big for MacKinnon to still not lap the field though.

If it was close you could maaaybe say "well we don't know how accurate it really is".

When one person is almost double #2, its pretty safe to say they are legitimately leaps and bounds ahead in that regard.
Not implying he isn't just that he might actually going faster than 22mph

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
isn't it because he has all the open ice while skating through the neutral zone on the PP while the opposing team backs up into their own zone. The Avalanche get a TON of Powerplays.

Reactions: AM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad