Post-Game Talk: No Pain No Gain, Islanders lose game, Penguins lose Players, WOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The impressive stat for the Pens was not the 5, but the 0, because of who they played and how good they are at scoring.

Actually, I think both are impressive and equally huge for the series opener. Fleury and the defense get confidence from shutting out the Islanders, and the offense has confidence they can scorch Nabokov.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Well, like someone already pointed out, Neal took another shift about 2 minutes after the presumed injury (from 17:08 to 16:17 of the second).
I just re-watched that particular shift, keeping an eye on Neal, and I saw nothing wrong with his skating.
Would a guy who may have a high ankle sprain be able to take a 50s shift 2 min after being injured? that doesn't seem likely.
In any case, I remain pretty optimistic he was pulled out of the game as a precaution.

When I wrote my post I wasn't aware that Neal had played after the injury. This makes me feel a lot better.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually, I think both are impressive and equally huge for the series opener. Fleury and the defense get confidence from shutting out the Islanders, and the offense has confidence they can scorch Nabokov.

The point that I was making is when a team is averaging almost 3 goals a game given up, then it is not a huge stretch that the best offensive team in the NHL lays 5 on them.

But the real surprise is that the 7th best scoring team in the NHL was held to 0 goals. And this is not a one off thing, or fluke. The Pens have been shutting almost everyone down since Februrary, and especially since the deadline when they got guys that simple bullied teams into not wanting to compete.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The point that I was making is when a team is averaging almost 3 goals a game given up, then it is not a huge stretch that the best offensive team in the NHL lays 5 on them.

But the real surprise is that the 7th best scoring team in the NHL was held to 0 goals. And this is not a one off thing, or fluke. The Pens have been shutting almost everyone down since Februrary, and especially since the deadline when they got guys that simple bullied teams into not wanting to compete.

I know what you're saying. I'm just saying that, IMO, both the shutout and the 5 goals scored is huge for the confidence of the entire team.

If we'd barely squeaked out a 1-0 win, the goaltending/defense would be flying high, but the offense might be a bit frustrated not being able to solve the Isles' goaltending. At least this way, not only is the defense/goaltending feeling good about themselves, but so too are the forwards.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When I wrote my post I wasn't aware that Neal had played after the injury. This makes me feel a lot better.
He was down for a bit, then he got up, skated and turned around on his skates for a one timer before the Penguins scored. He seemed like he twisted something and it "smarted" and the team kept him out to minimize further damage.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Glad to see Murray coming in to stand up for the guys though, love that from him.

Trying to look at the positive side of these injuries.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
+ Murrays scary stare on the bench - btw this just might be me but he reminds me DANZIG and Mother would be a great theme song/video for Murray.

+ Beau Bennet with the game winner :)

+ The Flower, great shutout

+ Duper Scoring 2 playoff goals just wow, most underated player in NHL the past several years.

- Duper scoring 2 playoff goals, man how are we going to resign him

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
This game felt a lot like the first game vs Ottawa in 08. That was a 4-0 shutout, and the Pens dominated the entire affair. Physically, offensively, defensively.. they just pushed the Senators around.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Beau Bennett showed why he is an every day NHL player right now. His defensive game, and the polish of it is still what gets me. He's so hard on the backcheck, and he's constantly finding guys who are uncovered. One bad thing I did see last night is that when he's coming down 3 strong, he doesn't go right to the post. Geno just threw a puck there and so did Kunitz and he was a step behind. He needs to go right to the far post. He probably would have had another goal or two if he did.

Douglas Murray has got to be the strongest hockey player I've ever seen. I haven't seen him budge once when someone has tried hitting him. His skating is suspect, but he's getting it done. He can move the puck fairly well, I think he has an underrated shot, and he plays within his abilities. I've noticed with him, he's really good at handing off responsibility, where a guy like Letang or Niskanen will chase a guy around the ice. Murray stays close to our net, right where he belongs.

I'll also give an up to our team defensive on Tavares. You can clearly tell that he was a targeted man, and to our credit, he spent a good portion of the game on his ass. Every single time he touched the puck he got hit, and that brings me to my lone down...

This game got out of control because the refs let it get that way. When the score was 5-0 they swallowed their whistles and let Matt Martin run around and be a clown. That dude is reserved for a cage, and that is it. He's not a hockey player. I'm not sure how the refs let a guy in the game who is running around cornering guys, pinning them against the boards, and trying to make them drop the gloves. The fact that there is a puck in the game to Matt Martin doesn't matter because he never plays it, and doesn't even look at it 99% of the time.

I hope the refs get that under control. There is one thing that can make this team lose, and that's if our key players start getting dropped for a very long time.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Probably already mentioned

+ won 5-0 without our best player.

And Crosby didn't play either.

Joe+Vitale+Washington+Capitals+v+Pittsburgh+zDrQ5v6KACkl.jpg

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Tanger 1+0. I think he was the best player on the ice. Beautiful goal!
+ Beau knows playoffs! Beauner played very well, amazing goal!
+ Flower, shotout! Awesome!
+ PP was really good.
+ Also PK was really good.
+ Super Duper 2+0!
+ Murray. Couple of hard hits, i love that guy!
+ Great win!
+ "We Want The Cup!" chant.

- Neal's injury. Hopefully Nealer is ok.
- Hopefully Jussi is also ok. Reasoner's hit was dirty.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
incredible pickups by Ray Shero.

I thought we were getting a bit more with Iginla I confess, i.e. I thought he'd create more offense on his own. But he has a happy gilmour shot (except he hits the net). Morrow just makes life utterly miserable for everyone on the other team.
Murray, we've really missed having a defensemen like this. We keep drafting PMD guys but you need a thumper in the lineup, and brooks hasn't been that guy in a while.
Jussi, just wow how'd this guy slip through waivers?

I know it's impossible but I'd love to see Morrow/Iginla/Murray all remain as penguins.

this game was a great illustration of just how great our GM really is, and Blysma actually scratched TK and started Beau so he gets a plus too...

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For the record, I thought Engelland played an awesome game.
He really did and so did Cookie.

As great as the Pens played last night, the things that impressed me the most was how the F3 closed gaps and how they went east/west in the defensive zone with passes. That's defense at the offensive blue line and offense from the defensive zone. I love it.

This game aside, I think that this is Bylsma's best year. He's shown that he can adjust in games and when a kid shows that he can play he'll work them into the line up.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Oddly enough in a 5-0 game it may have been the 3rd line with 0 goals that was the best on the night.
Was very comforting to see how well those guys worked as a shutdown line. Zero shots for Tavares and only three attempts.

Of course it helps when the guys on the star's wings look to be incapable of creating on their own. Regardless... a great start for the Sutter line by any measure.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Also, a big plus to Cooke. He was back to his physical and trolling self. You could definitely tell he picked it up for the playoffs.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'd hate to play against Matt Cooke and Brendan Morrow. Just miserable.

Morrow looked as slow as advertised the first few games after the trade. I've only been able to watch parts of games since but he looks like a "normal" or average skater since those two games.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, Morrow doesn't have great wheels, but where he does his best work, you don't have to be a great skater. He just dominates in a 10 foot radius around the net.

Throw Sutter in the middle of Cooke and Morrow...I don't envy any other teams top lines. Maybe someone else can comment, but I really didn't pay attention to who Tavares was out against. I believe it was the 3rd line because I remember Morrow running him over a couple times.

DreamBeaut

May 24, 2008
Much of what I would say has been said, and said again, so I will add just one thing.

That Iginla one timer on the powerplay will find twine a few times in the playoffs, possibly many more. What a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad