No OT, ever, Hollywood Needs Its Beauty Sleep. Oilers Lose 3-4.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You can't really adapt to his style of play unless you can think at his level.

He makes passes that a small percentage of NHL players even see, he finds opening that shouldn't exist. He is an incredible high iq player.

That and he then works hard in the corners and is strong in the puck.

His style of game you can't really adapt to. You can work hard against him, you can focus him you can lay big hits and whatever you want. The only thing that messes with Drai, is Drai.

Yep. That's what I was saying. How do you adapt to a player playing hard nosed honest sensible play on the boards. He really is anticipating plays so well. I wonder how often Hall has shaken his head at how well leon is playing.

"Fun to play with" is what Hall has stated thus far. The two are working off of each other so great. No slight on Hall at all but this pairing has been gold and has brought out possibly the best games we've seen from Hall as well. The pairing just works better. They play a similar game and Hall is more rugged when he's playing with Drai. Hall plays bigger with Leon because he has the physical back up on ice.

Its very interesting and a good problem to have.

The kids will eventually be allright. We've got McDavid looking great, Nurse, Reinhart learning the NHL trade, Leon stepping in better than anybody thought possible.

lots of positives but one has to adjust a future focus. Now there is a future.

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
Anyone else think we should package our first rounder while we're in the basement? Other gms have to be thinking it'll be another lottery pick and we need help asap. We might think we deserve more points, but we can only keep saying that for so long. Blame the refs, injuries, schedule, or certain individuals losing us games, but as far as I'm concerned we're just gonna keep losing games if something doesn't change.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Yes trading our 2 best scoring wingers and replace them with ufas is sure going to help.

Hall is only moving if he begs for a trade. Moving a top 10 scorer in the league almost never improves your team.

Edit: did you change this after you posted?

I said fill in top 9 wings this summer. Aka if the trade is (just an example, may not be realistic) rnh, yak, 1st, Simpson for weber, the top 9 would be:

Pouliot MCD ebs
Hall drai xxx
Hendricks xxx slep/xxx

Fill in xxx with Ufa's

If you were talking long term, I believe trading them in their ufa years for great packages is the way to go. But if you disagree I DID say sign/trade :)

And I edited "for a top 10 pick, [an] [A] prospect, and a roster player" changes in brackets

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yep. That's what I was saying. How do you adapt to a player playing hard nosed honest sensible play on the boards. He really is anticipating plays so well. I wonder how often Hall has shaken his head at how well leon is playing.

"Fun to play with" is what Hall has stated thus far. The two are working off of each other so great. No slight on Hall at all but this pairing has been gold and has brought out possibly the best games we've seen from Hall as well. The pairing just works better. They play a similar game and Hall is more rugged when he's playing with Drai. Hall plays bigger with Leon because he has the physical back up on ice.

The kids will eventually be allright. We've got McDavid looking great, Nurse, Reinhart learning the NHL trade, Leon stepping in better than anybody thought possible.

I agree. The chemistry between them has brought out the best in both of them. Hall is playing hard and more physical, Draisaitl is playing faster to keep up with Hall.

The interview during the game with Hall in Arizona he basically said that they didn't say anything to each other on the play, it wasn't a set practiced play, they just knew where to go and what the other was thinking. You can't develop that, you can't force that. Chemistry like that is rare and its what allows great players to elevate their games like we have seen with those two.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Didn't watch the game. But I am very impressed with Leon and Hall together. Seems we found a dynamic duo.

Did Leon play C?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone else think we should package our first rounder while we're in the basement? Other gms have to be thinking it'll be another lottery pick and we need help asap. We might think we deserve more points, but we can only keep saying that for so long. Blame the refs, injuries, schedule, or certain individuals losing us games, but as far as I'm concerned we're just gonna keep losing games if something doesn't change.

That 1st rounder could be a #1 overall. If you trade it, you'd better be getting back a Seth Jones, Roman Josi or a PK Subban type back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree. The chemistry between them has brought out the best in both of them. Hall is playing hard and more physical, Draisaitl is playing faster to keep up with Hall.

The interview during the game with Hall in Arizona he basically said that they didn't say anything to each other on the play, it wasn't a set practiced play, they just knew where to go and what the other was thinking. You can't develop that, you can't force that. Chemistry like that is rare and its what allows great players to elevate their games like we have seen with those two.

Amazing that there were a whack of voices out there last year that wanted to move Drai after we won the lottery and go McD. Dumb then, and now with hindsight, really dumb.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I'm optimistic in an odd way because Draisaitl is so much better than what I had expected.

When we actually can ice our actual damn line-up and get some time to play everyone together ... I think we will be much, much better in the 2nd half of the season.

Also Talbot should've had that 4th goal. I realize Fayne played it weak, but c'mon, that's a stoppable shot.

I think we can roll

Lander RNH Eberle
Pouliot McDavid Yakupov
Hall Draisaitl Purcell

(no specific order) when Connor is back.
Is this a joke? Lander should be on waivers not on the first line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't see what see in him, whether it was on the Oil Kings or now. That package was simply too much to give up for a guy who hasn't been developing like he should be.
If the time ever comes where Reinhart is anything more than a #4 at his best then yes that trade would be great. I highly doubt he ever will be tho.

Reinhart is tracking as a decent shutdown 2nd pairing dman. I think that's pretty good value. How many of our draft picks beyond the first round have turned out for us?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So great to see the team hang in there ALL NIGHT.
Hoping that Teddy Purcell shows up for the rest of the season.

Until the TD. Until then, its awfully nice of him to actually finally give a crap and start to earn some of that rather large salary that he gets paid every 2nd week.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We know its been way more than 8 games. So far its been since he was sent down last year he's kicked it up a notch. This season draisaitl put his game into a whole other level. much quicker step, stronger, leg strength. First he was excellent at prospects games and among the best players on the team. Well I thought, lets see what he does against NHL players. He then proceeds to be the best oiler in preseason and notable in every game. Not only did he make the team it was a slamdunk statement. For the team to send him down was imo a mistake if only because his play was so needed and so missing in the first games where the Oilers failed to even score because they couldn't sustain offense.

I have a feeling the Drai we are seeing today is sustainable. It takes a lot of energy to play his physical board battle game but the kid is strong. We'll see him banged up and less effective on some nights but his NHL game has arrived.

I believe in NHL correction and adjustment as well but its harder to make adjustment to solid sensible board play. How has the NHL adjusted to Kopitar for instance? That's what we have here possibly. A Kopitar in the making. That's huge praise coming from me.

I'll say it. This season Draisaitl so far is the best player on this team. Its quite incredible.

I agree with your points, just not a portion in the bolded. Most of the guys from teams we played in the pre-season were either AHL players or NHL scrubs, for the most part. As players like Anton Slepyshev found out. Just a mild pickiness on my part. But yes, Dr. Drai has been deadly and I too think he has the tools to sustain this. I think that little stint in the minors has pushed his buttons even more, to the point he never, ever wants to go back there again. Despite the nice weather.:D

Werd

Nov 28, 2011
6 millions for Eberle. What does he bring? Trade that guy as soon as possible, while he still has some value.

I agree with Mcdavid/Yak having chemistry and Dr Drai having better chemistry with Hall and RNH than ebbs ever did. Try to get a #2 dman for him in a dream world

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with Mcdavid/Yak having chemistry and Dr Drai having better chemistry with Hall and RNH than ebbs ever did. Try to get a #2 dman for him in a dream world

I'd bet my house that Eberle will look A LOT better with Connor than Yakupov did. Both Ebs and McD are super smart players and Eberle has way more skill than Yak.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'd bet my house that Eberle will look A LOT better with Connor than Yakupov did. Both Ebs and McD are super smart players and Eberle has way more skill than Yak.

I'd be on your side with that bet. Ebs is still finding his footing after coming back, and he'll be fine. I like where his game is right now, and I think it gets better and better.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

that's true and good catch.

I'm with you on the future, too. Yes, it sucks that they are pretty much out of the playoff picture already, but this year is the first time in the entire rebuild that you can see the end product. there's something there that will be good, soon. Maybe next year, or maybe even when McD comes back. I don't really want to make the big trade unless it's for next year's 1st rounder.

I thought last was their best game of the year. they were all over the Kings. they just couldn't get the 4th and Talbot got out-played by Quick.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A family member called me up last night because they caught the end of the game. They aren't a hockey fan, but flat out said, "why did the goalie give away the puck? Was he trying to give the game away?"

:laugh::laugh:

Even non hockey fans are confused.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lander was a boat anchor all game. Awful first and last goals against by Talbot. That last goal against was 100% on him. 100%

Jesus. This club. I feel bad for Hall. The guy is killing himself out there every damn night.

100%? Hmm neat

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
the most frustrating part is how good they look in the offensive zone against good teams this year, minus the shell of a player lander has bcome. once that puck crosses into the oilers zone though, it's the same old oilers running a chinese fire drill for a defensive system and missings assignments like they were on a football scholarship.

also, mark fayne :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad