No OT, ever, Hollywood Needs Its Beauty Sleep. Oilers Lose 3-4.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm optimistic in an odd way because Draisaitl is so much better than what I had expected.

When we actually can ice our actual damn line-up and get some time to play everyone together ... I think we will be much, much better in the 2nd half of the season.

Also Talbot should've had that 4th goal. I realize Fayne played it weak, but c'mon, that's a stoppable shot.

I think we can roll

Lander RNH Eberle
Pouliot McDavid Yakupov
Hall Draisaitl Purcell

(no specific order) when Connor is back.

Meth, Crack, or Lysol? You want Lander on the 1st line:shakehead

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Reinhart had a big part in 2 goals against.

That Reinhart trade was one of the worst moves this teams made in the past few years. 16th + 33rd for a guy that won't be anything more than a 5-7 Dman is a joke. Those picks could've and should've got us something a lot better.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
That Reinhart trade was one of the worst moves this teams made in the past few years. 16th + 33rd for a guy that won't be anything more than a 5-7 Dman is a joke. Those picks could've and should've got us something a lot better.

So you're saying Reinhart has already plateaued in his rookie NHL season?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

gimme a break, he's better than that already. he's a solid Number 3 or a good number 4.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So you're saying Reinhart has already plateaued in his rookie NHL season?

I don't see what see in him, whether it was on the Oil Kings or now. That package was simply too much to give up for a guy who hasn't been developing like he should be.
If the time ever comes where Reinhart is anything more than a #4 at his best then yes that trade would be great. I highly doubt he ever will be tho.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Small sample size so far, but Reinhart hasn't been a problem out there for the Oilers.

http://www.puckalytics.com/skatergoalstats.html

In all situations he's been on the ice for 3 goals for and 2 goals against.

His GA/60 is the best of any Oilers dman so he's obviously NOT a defensive liability out there in most of his games... either by eye or by the advanced stats.

In fact if they had another Reinhart they'd likely be more solid defensively.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of that trade either at the time... but his performance so far speaks for itself. If he continues his solid defensive play (and as a bonus hopefully develops a little more offense)... he's a solid asset for this team.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
People talking about trading for goalies need to remember this, they are still playing behind this D. Nothing much will improve till we get a solid horse of a defencemen.

Agree to a point, but Talbot has an .890 save %. That is 2nd worst in the league for starters. Nilsson is .902. We go nowhere without at least average goaltending.

This is a team that needs bailout saves - just as most every other team in the league does. I am done making excuses for the goaltenders, they have been no better than last year thus far.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Hall, Drai, Purcell and Klefbom very had good games.

Eberle and Lander not so much.

Talbot blah.

Everybody else meh.

And another craptastic start to boot.

At least they hung in there and didn't fold their tents and hide.

Also, only 8 points out of a playoff spot (#oilerpositives)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I recall during the Flyers pregame or game thread several posters were stating Philly has a just as bad, if not worse D corp than the Oilers. Yet Neuvirth is 3-3-1 in 9 appearances with a 2.07 GAA and .939 save percentage (17 goals allowed on 277 shots) with three shutouts playing behind their defense. I don't buy the "any goalie would struggle here" argument when he's posting those kind of numbers. Hindsight is always 20/20...but if Chia would have only waited another 3 days.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I recall during the Flyers pregame or game thread several posters were stating Philly has a just as bad, if not worse D corp than the Oilers. Yet Neuvirth is 3-3-1 in 9 appearances with a 2.07 GAA and .939 save percentage (17 goals allowed on 277 shots) with three shutouts playing behind their defense. I don't buy the "any goalie would struggle here" argument when he's posting those kind of numbers. Hindsight is always 20/20...but if Chia would have only waited another 3 days.

Precisely. Our SA/G are 15th. Our GA/G is third worst.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I love Reinhart and see him peaking as a vlasic type dman at his peak but I'm starting to think this trade was a preemptive move for a true #1/top pairing dman. Ebs/nuge/yak + gr/nurse/klef would be his package/base. Teams might require a top d prospect coming back for a 1d and before this trade we had only 2. Chia is taking the year to evaluate and I think those 3 dman are fighting for the same 2 spots long term and the loser will be in the trade.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I love Reinhart and see him peaking as a vlasic type dman at his peak but I'm starting to think this trade was a preemptive move for a true #1/top pairing dman. Ebs/nuge/yak + gr/nurse/klef would be his package/base. Teams might require a top d prospect coming back for a 1d and before this trade we had only 2. Chia is taking the year to evaluate and I think those 3 dman are fighting for the same 2 spots long term and the loser will be in the trade.

You're assuming there is a long term plan from someone who hasn't even evaluated the team yet...that's a stretch.

As well, Chia himself said he would evaluate for 20 games before making trades...not 82.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Draisaitl hasn't "emerged". He has played a good 8 games, a great 8 games.
You can't trade away an emerging young 2 way center like RNH because their rookie center (he's pretty much a rookie) has had a strong start to his career. Once teams adjust to Drai, it won't come so easily for him so lets not get too mesmerized by this small sample size. It's nice to see but it certainly doesn't make Nuge expendable, at least not yet.

We know its been way more than 8 games. So far its been since he was sent down last year he's kicked it up a notch. This season draisaitl put his game into a whole other level. much quicker step, stronger, leg strength. First he was excellent at prospects games and among the best players on the team. Well I thought, lets see what he does against NHL players. He then proceeds to be the best oiler in preseason and notable in every game. Not only did he make the team it was a slamdunk statement. For the team to send him down was imo a mistake if only because his play was so needed and so missing in the first games where the Oilers failed to even score because they couldn't sustain offense.

I have a feeling the Drai we are seeing today is sustainable. It takes a lot of energy to play his physical board battle game but the kid is strong. We'll see him banged up and less effective on some nights but his NHL game has arrived.

I believe in NHL correction and adjustment as well but its harder to make adjustment to solid sensible board play. How has the NHL adjusted to Kopitar for instance? That's what we have here possibly. A Kopitar in the making. That's huge praise coming from me.

I'll say it. This season Draisaitl so far is the best player on this team. Its quite incredible.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
People talking about trading for goalies need to remember this, they are still playing behind this D. Nothing much will improve till we get a solid horse of a defencemen.

been saying this for two years--you can have an average goalie look great behind a solid D and a great goalie look average behind the bad D

McDeathbyCheerios*

Small sample size so far, but Reinhart hasn't been a problem out there for the Oilers.

http://www.puckalytics.com/skatergoalstats.html

In all situations he's been on the ice for 3 goals for and 2 goals against.

His GA/60 is the best of any Oilers dman so he's obviously NOT a defensive liability out there in most of his games... either by eye or by the advanced stats.

In fact if they had another Reinhart they'd likely be more solid defensively.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of that trade either at the time... but his performance so far speaks for itself. If he continues his solid defensive play (and as a bonus hopefully develops a little more offense)... he's a solid asset for this team.
It's amazing that people can call the trade a bust after not even 20 games into his career. Last game was the only game where he had goals go in on his watch. All season. As a rookie.

Guy will get better and even if he peaks at a very solid top 4 d, a player like that is very important to have.

But like I've said in the past, because he isn't flashy haters only notice the mistakes

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
You're assuming there is a long term plan from someone who hasn't even evaluated the team yet...that's a stretch.

As well, Chia himself said he would evaluate for 20 games before making trades...not 82.

Yeah I think those 20 are for the faynes, Purcell's, etc. Vets we want out but need to see their value first/if it's worth it to wait until the TDL to trade them.

The big trade happens this summer; he evaluates the high end young talent and idetifies what he wants to build around.

And he most definitely has a long term plan. Probably looks something like:

Evaluate declining vets and get best possible assets for them.

Whoever doesn't perform well enough to get traded gets let go at seasons end, creating a large amount of cap space.

Trade package for 1D after identifying which young stars are expendable.

Fill in top 9 wings with Ufa's who fill the role.

Decision If our goalies are adeqaute and if not pursue starter in free agency to hold the spot until broissoit is ready.

Demand playoffs next year and the year after, hopefully a cup.

Sign mcdavid.

Tweak team.

Sign/trade eberle and hall and nuge.

He absolutely has a long term plan. Probably built around cup windows.

Cup windows:
Mcdavid elc years 2 and 3

Last 2-3 years of hall, eberle and nuge deals.

Trade those players for massive packages in there ufa years (this is the key to a ten year window; prime ebs/hall/nuge would command a top 10 pick, an A prospect and roster player). And retool for 1-2 years. With a new wave of talent to compliment mcd, drai, and our 2 core dman, we create a new 3 year possibly even a 5 year window with the young talent if RFA contracts go well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

D gets misunderstood with D system play. As bad as the Flyers are substandard efforts are not condoned. Take nights off and you're riding pine. Everybody knows it. The Oilers have several games where several players take complete nights off, are non physical, and just let opponents roam their zone for fun. Try being a goalie amidst that.

The Flyers aren't that good a team but theres a level of compete and physicality and making opponents pay a price that is a notch up from our own. Neuvirth has made some incredibly stupid plays as well. That people would be all on him for if he was playing here. For instance in the game against the Oilers (or was it Calgary?) Neuvirth traps a puck in his crease on the PP. He then thinks about moving the puck, gets sealed off by opponents, can't move the puck, is out of his crease and refs are telling him to move puck, and he gets 2 mins for this and costs his team a GA. It was all on Neuvirth. I hate braincramp plays like that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We know its been way more than 8 games. So far its been since he was sent down last year he's kicked it up a notch. This season draisaitl put his game into a whole other level. much quicker step, stronger, leg strength. First he was excellent at prospects games and among the best players on the team. Well I thought, lets see what he does against NHL players. He then proceeds to be the best oiler in preseason and notable in every game. Not only did he make the team it was a slamdunk statement. For the team to send him down was imo a mistake if only because his play was so needed and so missing in the first games where the Oilers failed to even score because they couldn't sustain offense.

I have a feeling the Drai we are seeing today is sustainable. It takes a lot of energy to play his physical board battle game but the kid is strong. We'll see him banged up and less effective on some nights but his NHL game has arrived.

I believe in NHL correction and adjustment as well but its harder to make adjustment to solid sensible board play. How has the NHL adjusted to Kopitar for instance? That's what we have here possibly. A Kopitar in the making. That's huge praise coming from me.

I'll say it. This season Draisaitl so far is the best player on this team. Its quite incredible.
You can't really adapt to his style of play unless you can think at his level.

He makes passes that a small percentage of NHL players even see, he finds opening that shouldn't exist. He is an incredible high iq player.

That and he then works hard in the corners and is strong in the puck.

His style of game you can't really adapt to. You can work hard against him, you can focus him you can lay big hits and whatever you want. The only thing that messes with Drai, is Drai.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oilers are on pace to go -50 in goals differential this season whereas last season they ended up at -85.

That's an improvement of 35 goals BUT -50 still is very likely a bottom 5 team in the league at best.

This team is better this season... but it's like being buried 10 feet deep in ****.... when you dig yourself out of 4 feet of ****... you're still 6 feet in the ****... not really any better off.

Yeah but you can see the light...:laugh:

heh, process baby. As long as the team buys in like last night. Trouble is when we play worse teams like Calgary or Arizona we play far worse. If we had this level of compete in those games against teams we can beat we would have a better record. its that this team chooses what nights to bring this type of effort that is mind-blowingly frustrating.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah I think those 20 are for the faynes, Purcell's, etc. Vets we want out but need to see their value first/if it's worth it to wait until the TDL to trade them.

The big trade happens this summer; he evaluates the high end young talent and idetifies what he wants to build around.

And he most definitely has a long term plan. Probably looks something like:

Evaluate declining vets and get best possible assets for them.

Whoever doesn't perform well enough to get traded gets let go at seasons end, creating a large amount of cap space.

Trade package for 1D after identifying which young stars are expendable.

Fill in top 9 wings with Ufa's who fill the role.

Decision If our goalies are adeqaute and if not pursue starter in free agency to hold the spot until broissoit is ready.

Demand playoffs next year and the year after, hopefully a cup.

Sign mcdavid.

Tweak team.

Sign/trade eberle and hall and nuge.

He absolutely has a long term plan. Probably built around cup windows.

Cup windows:
Mcdavid elc years 2 and 3

Last 2-3 years of hall, eberle and nuge deals.

Trade those players for massive packages in there ufa years (this is the key to a ten year window; prime ebs/hall/nuge would command a top 10 pick, an A prospect and roster player). And retool for 1-2 years. With a new wave of talent to compliment mcd, drai, and our 2 core dman, we create a new 3 year possibly even a 5 year window with the young talent if RFA contracts go well.
Yes trading our 2 best scoring wingers and replace them with ufas is sure going to help.

Hall is only moving if he begs for a trade. Moving a top 10 scorer in the league almost never improves your team.

Edit: did you change this after you posted?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agree to a point, but Talbot has an .890 save %. That is 2nd worst in the league for starters. Nilsson is .902. We go nowhere without at least average goaltending.

This is a team that needs bailout saves - just as most every other team in the league does. I am done making excuses for the goaltenders, they have been no better than last year thus far.

We need to get an experienced goaltender in net. Not even because those guys are better than Cam Talbot can be.

The problem is the whole "This is my chance to be a no.1!" is too much of a mental stumbling block, we need to bring guys in to whom being a no.1 is no big deal because they've carried that mantle in their career.

Just so when they do inevitably have a bad game it's not such a "OMG! The world is crashing down! I'm blowing my chance!" type thing that I think has afflicted Scrivens, Fasth, Talbot, etc.

Bryzgalov was the last experienced goalie we had and he didn't give a crap if he had a bad game or not, and he posted a decent .908 save percentage here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad