No OT, ever, Hollywood Needs Its Beauty Sleep. Oilers Lose 3-4.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
i missed the end of the game but I understand they missed calling an icing call against the Kings plus a holding penalty in the last couple minutes. Maybe we just don't notice it when it happens the other way, but any comments on the officiating as a whole lately?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
i missed the end of the game but I understand they missed calling an icing call against the Kings plus a holding penalty in the last couple minutes. Maybe we just don't notice it when it happens the other way, but any comments on the officiating as a whole lately?

Can't comment on as a whole, but as usual, the Kings got the better of the calls against us. I normally won't whine much about the officiating, but it was not good. Commentator said the reason they didn't call the icing is because Klefa broke stride in going back for the puck. The puck was about 5 feet from the icing line, and Klefa was about 20 feet back. There was absolutely no way he could ever get within 10 feet of that puck, no matter. Joke of a call, but one of many.

On a hooking call against us, Carter reacted like he'd been shot with an elephant gun. Have no idea how that was not called.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Can't comment on as a whole, but as usual, the Kings got the better of the calls against us. I normally won't whine much about the officiating, but it was not good. Commentator said the reason they didn't call the icing is because Klefa broke stride in going back for the puck. The puck was about 5 feet from the icing line, and Klefa was about 20 feet back. There was absolutely no way he could ever get within 10 feet of that puck, no matter. Joke of a call, but one of many.

On a hooking call against us, Carter reacted like he'd been shot with an elephant gun. Have no idea how that was not called.

And not much they can do about the non-calls either - as I understand you get fined for complaining about the officiating. Either way, it would probably just make it worse in the long run due to the subjective nature of it.

Just seems like the past few games it has been blatant against the oil.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Amazing that there were a whack of voices out there last year that wanted to move Drai after we won the lottery and go McD. Dumb then, and now with hindsight, really dumb.

Yep... I've been banging the drum HARD on Draisaitl being a beast in the NHL ever since he was drafted. You don't trade away skill, size and intelligence down the middle like Drai has.

Drai could literally be Joe Thornton 2.0 (Draisaitl's slow start in his first season is comparable to Thornton as well) and the Oilers have him right from 18 years old.

Don't be stupid and trade away a franchise centre... because it's basically impossible to acquire those types any other way (and yes I know the irony is that Jumbo Joe was traded away at a young age as well.) Don't repeat that mistake Boston made Chiarelli.

With McDavid + Drai they have the beginnings of an epic #1/#2 C combo rivaling Crosby/Malkin... and sure the Pens have had their struggles but they also have a Cup and have played in two finals. I'd take that for the Oilers in an ultra competitive 30 team league where just making the playoffs consistently is a struggle for many teams.

They obviously need better D... but you don't have to worry about that other ultra important position with Drai and McDavid who'll be wrapped up for 7 years.

Here's a thought... what if Drai ends up better than McDavid? Good god imagine if that's the case going forward... not saying it will be the case, but imagine these two ultra competitive players both working their ***** off to be the #1C on the Oilers... that type of healthy internal competition would make everyone around them and the entire team better.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It was awesome seeing Draisaitl hold off a few Kings and maintain possession along the boards in the offensive zone. It appears we may finally have a forward that can fight fire with fire against a team like the Kings. His chemistry with Hall is also something to be positive about. Unfortunately with injuries and the flu the team has been a one-line show the past week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad