Post-Game Talk: No one can complain about the Ducks loss now

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Rishaug and Strudwick had an 'argument' over the Oilers reaction. They are both pretty decent guys so it wasn't any Stephen A. Smith/Max Kellerman theatrics.

They were essential agreeing, but it was funny how they were not trying to be dbags in disagreeing with each other. Strudwick made the point that trying to start a fight then and there would have been stupid. Weegar probably backs down and the Oilers take a minor. Then with our PK? Can't see how that would have worked out well for the Oilers. The also agree that players should have gone out of their way to hit Weegar as hard as they could after that play.

As much as we all liked Kassian forcing Tkachuk to turtle, I am much happier with the two points in the standings.

I never liked Strudwick when I heard him on Gregor's show. But I spoke to Rishaug a couple times for a non-hockey thing. He was a really good guy to deal with so I gave their podcast a try. It's pretty good. I believe Strudwick was just overwhelmed by Gregor's general suckage.
It was a good discussion. Strudwick gives credibility when he talks about situations like that having played the tough team guy role in a long NHL career. He's also bang on that it's not within the character/DNA of this team to respond in that situation. I respect his analysis and he is clear, concise and funny in communicating it. Should be doing colour for the Oilers radio.

Loved that he ripped the big mouth player agent who cried first world problems about his breadwinner client's skates not getting to Halifax. Tone deaf.

Excellent podcast ... for those who like podcasts. :)

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Loved that he ripped the big mouth player agent who cried first world problems about his breadwinner client's skates not getting to Halifax. Tone deaf.

Agreed on how Strudwick ripped the agent. Weird how fixated Strudwick was on the issue. Also weird that Strudwick holds what the agent tweeted against the player.

I agree it is an excellent podcast. For me that podcast is the best for Oilers analysis. Some of Stauffer's guests are ok and some aren't. Gregor is terrible. The YouTube guys seem sincere and try, but none are too engaging.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed on how Strudwick ripped the agent. Weird how fixated Strudwick was on the issue. Also weird that Strudwick holds what the agent tweeted against the player.

I agree it is an excellent podcast. For me that podcast is the best for Oilers analysis. Some of Stauffer's guests are ok and some aren't. Gregor is terrible. The YouTube guys seem sincere and try, but none are too engaging.
I loved it. Agents should not be seen or heard. Strudwick was bang on saying how embarrassed he would be if his agent ever did something like that. Rightly cited several real world people among thousands who were stuck and not able to get home for Christmas and Agent Zero was going off about a pair of custom skates not getting to Halifax for client boy. Poor perspective when so many were effected.

I think Gregor is a waaaaaay better, professional trained interviewer than Stauffer. He has an annoyance factor but actually let's his expert guests speak; ask coherent, concise questions; and doesn't insert himself or his limited hockey experience or political views spew into interviewing. I listened to Edmonton radio when the pandemic hit. Brian Burke and Brian Lawton were the only solid listens on Stauffer's show.

we've (I've) drifted off topic here. But thought Strudwick's perspective on the Weegar hit was solid. Would like to hear Terry Ryan's pov who also guests on Rishaug's podcast. Both are very solid ex-NHLers that have carved out entertaining and informative hockey media personalities.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The shine certainly came off Klim, that was take a seat in the pressbox type of game for him. But we all have seen formerly aggressive players turn into p***ycats under the wrong coach.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
ask coherent, concise questions; and doesn't insert himself or his limited hockey experience or political views spew into interviewing
Both Stauffer AND Gregor inject their politics into their podcasts. Neither should be doing so.

That is one of the redeeming things of the Cult of Hockey. I know Staples' day job is politics, but he keeps his personal political views out of his hockey stuff and even goes so far as to have separate twitter accounts. One for hockey and one for politics. Stauffer would always try and get Staples into politics because Staples focus was covid and covid policy. Stauffer is buffoonish, but certainly lets both sides air the political stuff. Listen to John Shannon's appearances.

To say that Gregor doesn't bring politics into his show wasn't accurate, but maybe he has severely cut back on that. I haven't listened to Gregor once this season. Gregor's twitter is far more political than Stauffer's.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Both Stauffer AND Gregor inject their politics into their podcasts. Neither should be doing so.

That is one of the redeeming things of the Cult of Hockey. I know Staples' day job is politics, but he keeps his personal political views out of his hockey stuff and even goes so far as to have separate twitter accounts. One for hockey and one for politics. Stauffer would always try and get Staples into politics because Staples focus was covid and covid policy. Stauffer is buffoonish, but certainly lets both sides air the political stuff. Listen to John Shannon's appearances.

To say that Gregor doesn't bring politics into his show wasn't accurate, but maybe he has severely cut back on that. I haven't listened to Gregor once this season. Gregor's twitter is far more political than Stauffer's.
I listen for specific guests and not enough apparently as I haven't heard any political commentary by Gregor. If he is inserting his political opinions I agree and would shut it off. Do hear his charity work. Staples is awful - tried to listen to him on Stauffer and that was primary where the political soapbox stuff happened. I did hear one John Shannon episode who doesn't offer much and took Stauffer to task about his misinformation spreading about federal transfer payments and Quebec. That was enough. I don't and wouldn't follow either on Twitter for either hockey insight or political ruminations.

Can agree though I think on Rishaug's podcast.

Reactions: frag2

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I listen for specific guests and not enough apparently as I haven't heard any political commentary by Gregor. If he is inserting his political opinions I agree and would shut it off. Do hear his charity work. Staples is awful - tried to listen to him on Stauffer and that was primary where the political soapbox stuff happened. I did hear one John Shannon episode who doesn't offer much and took Stauffer to task about his misinformation spreading about federal transfer payments and Quebec. That was enough. I don't and wouldn't follow either on Twitter for either hockey insight or political ruminations.

Can agree though I think on Rishaug's podcast.
I listen to Oilers Now most every day hand, not because I like Stauffer, it just fits in with my schedule and lifestyle to sit and listen to some Oiler news at that time.

To the bolded above, I can attest that is 100% because Stauffer specifically asks for him to do so. Staples has never brought anything up political unless Stauffer first initiates the issue. He would stay strictly on hockey only during the time he is on except for that.

Reactions: frag2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I listen to Oilers Now most every day hand, not because I like Stauffer, it just fits in with my schedule and lifestyle to sit and listen to some Oiler news at that time.

To the bolded above, I can attest that is 100% because Stauffer specifically asks for him to do so. Staples has never brought anything up political unless Stauffer first initiates the issue. He would stay strictly on hockey only during the time he is on except for that.
I believe that. What I heard with Staples was mainly pandemic related updates that then was segued into political diatribe. Tried the same tact with John Shannon a couple times which Shannon corrected him on misinformation. Was enough for me. Good for wild, speculative rumour mongering though.

Reactions: brentashton

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I did hear one John Shannon episode who doesn't offer much and took Stauffer to task about his misinformation spreading about federal transfer payments and Quebec.

Why is John Shannon a corrector of misinformation? If he has an education, work experience or better yet a combination of the two that would make me think John Shannon is someone to police misinformation on the federal transfer program I would be interested to hear.

The equalization program is a big, complex program. It takes an understanding of economics and finance. There are fundamental political disagreements on many aspects of the equalization. Shannon disagreeing with that isn't correcting misinformation. That is stating a different opinion.

Actual misinformation to me would be correcting facts. Like the payments into/out of the system historically, the calculation on revenues that are added to the equalization pool and the definition of fiscal capacity. If I want to hear a discussion like that on the equalization system I'll find a podcast for that. I am not interested in hearing that discussion on a hockey podcast.

I thought Shannon was a career sports broadcaster. He's had a great career, but he doesn't have the background to police misinformation. Stauffer doesn't have that background. Neither does Gregor. I don't want any of the three taking on that policing role or talking politics.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^I liked the post even if its veering into stuff that can't be expounded much here. I would say Staples is the only one in his professional capacity to speak to such matters being an investigative journalist so that I agree I don't know how he was being "corrected".

Correcting, fact checking, misinformation seem to mean different things in present day.

Anyway good post, probably wrong place. heh

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
S

Staples is pretty clearly a full on right winger so my guess is you just agree with his politics vs. the other guys. The truth is some of the issues being politicized the last couple years arent political issues at all, just populist interference. These are the things that have tended to bleed into guys like Staples' coverage. Things that ought not be political at all, but have been made to be by crackpots.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It was a good discussion. Strudwick gives credibility when he talks about situations like that having played the tough team guy role in a long NHL career. He's also bang on that it's not within the character/DNA of this team to respond in that situation. I respect his analysis and he is clear, concise and funny in communicating it. Should be doing colour for the Oilers radio.

Struddy saying “duly noted” over and over had me laughing my ass off. Same when he kept saying “my 6th overall draft pick!“. So funny.

Alao, Alan Walsh is such a piece of shit.

I loved it. Agents should not be seen or heard. Strudwick was bang on saying how embarrassed he would be if his agent ever did something like that. Rightly cited several real world people among thousands who were stuck and not able to get home for Christmas and Agent Zero was going off about a pair of custom skates not getting to Halifax for client boy. Poor perspective when so many were effected.

I think Gregor is a waaaaaay better, professional trained interviewer than Stauffer. He has an annoyance factor but actually let's his expert guests speak; ask coherent, concise questions; and doesn't insert himself or his limited hockey experience or political views spew into interviewing. I listened to Edmonton radio when the pandemic hit. Brian Burke and Brian Lawton were the only solid listens on Stauffer's show.

we've (I've) drifted off topic here. But thought Strudwick's perspective on the Weegar hit was solid. Would like to hear Terry Ryan's pov who also guests on Rishaug's podcast. Both are very solid ex-NHLers that have carved out entertaining and informative hockey media personalities.
I absolutely HATE how gregor never listens to anyone speak, though. Every time a person gives an answer, theres a massively long pause and then Gregor say ”well ya….obviously….no doubt” or some filler like that. Then he often asks questions that the person has already answered.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Why is John Shannon a corrector of misinformation? If he has an education, work experience or better yet a combination of the two that would make me think John Shannon is someone to police misinformation on the federal transfer program I would be interested to hear.

The equalization program is a big, complex program. It takes an understanding of economics and finance. There are fundamental political disagreements on many aspects of the equalization. Shannon disagreeing with that isn't correcting misinformation. That is stating a different opinion.

Actual misinformation to me would be correcting facts. Like the payments into/out of the system historically, the calculation on revenues that are added to the equalization pool and the definition of fiscal capacity. If I want to hear a discussion like that on the equalization system I'll find a podcast for that. I am not interested in hearing that discussion on a hockey podcast.

I thought Shannon was a career sports broadcaster. He's had a great career, but he doesn't have the background to police misinformation. Stauffer doesn't have that background. Neither does Gregor. I don't want any of the three taking on that policing role or talking politics.
The thing with Shannon is that he had a background in broadcasting/producing, not hockey. How he became a panelist is beyond me, must have been the only person at the bus stop outside of the studio.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
…absolutely HATE how gregor never listens to anyone speak, though. Every time a person gives an answer, theres a massively long pause and then Gregor say ”well ya….obviously….no doubt” or some filler like that. Then he often asks questions that the person has already answered.

“100 percent!”

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Staples is pretty clearly a full on right winger so my guess is you just agree with his politics vs. the other guys.

I only want to hear from somebody with a professional background, being paid, to read/research/write on these issues. Staples has that background. This is literally what I said.

What are you basing your "guess" on?

I have been neutral in my comments on Staples' neutral comments on Stauffer's show. Why do you think my neutrality means I agree with his politics?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Struddy saying “duly noted” over and over had me laughing my ass off. Same when he kept saying “my 6th overall draft pick!“. So funny.

Alao, Alan Walsh is such a piece of shit.

I absolutely HATE how gregor never listens to anyone speak, though. Every time a person gives an answer, theres a massively long pause and then Gregor say ”well ya….obviously….no doubt” or some filler like that. Then he often asks questions that the person has already answered.

I wouldn't listen if Strudwick wasn't on.

They have a good dynamic that works but I find Gregor insufferable without Strudwick there to balance it out a bit.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Because Staples comments arent always neutral and classifying them as such demonstrates bias.
Thats all.
I only want to hear from somebody with a professional background, being paid, to read/research/write on these issues. Staples has that background. This is literally what I said.

What are you basing your "guess" on?

I have been neutral in my comments on Staples' neutral comments on Stauffer's show. Why do you think my neutrality means I agree with his politics?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Because Staples comments arent always neutral and classifying them as such demonstrates bias.
Thats all.

The funny thing with Staples is Stauffer, whom himself is guilty plugging politics into his broadcasts, calls him the UCP spokesperson [which he pretty much is but that's a different discussion].:laugh:

I mean Walsh is looking out for his guy but come on, Strudwick's point about how Walsh thinks his player should get preferential treatment because he's a. a hockey player and b. his guy...Walsh is tone deaf [and not surprised]

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Strudwick's point about how Walsh thinks his player should get preferential treatment because he's a. a hockey player and b. his guy...Walsh is tone deaf [and not surprised]

I 100% get it. Walsh is a p.o.s.

But Strudwick said something about never cheering for the player again. Yeah, I get Strudwick said he would have fired his agent if he had done that, as an NHL veteran.

I think it is all on Walsh. Not sure what you expect a kid playing junior who is from Czhecia to do.

Couldn't buy replacement skates for his size 13 feet. Poor kid.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I 100% get it. Walsh is a p.o.s.

But Strudwick said something about never cheering for the player again. Yeah, I get Strudwick said he would have fired his agent if he had done that, as an NHL veteran.

I think it is all on Walsh. Not sure what you expect a kid playing junior who is from Czhecia to do.

Couldn't buy replacement skates for his size 13 feet. Poor kid.

I think Struds was just being facetious wrt the player. The whole "my 6th overall pick" diatribe.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

It shouldn't have been a discussion point to begin with. A sports talk show host should stick in their lane and not drop inflammatory things out of topic and expertise. Disrespectful of their audience. I most definitely don't look to John Shannon for political insight or hockey for that matter. I could have chosen my words better and will agree with you calling me out on that. Fomenting a political opinion as you say on a complex government program shouldn't be part of sports programming. However it is an example of an Oilers PR employee who can't help himself and did his best work stumping for his employer's heavily subsided hockey rink using the platform at his disposal.

Shannon is an example of the empty calorie guest that adds little to hockey discussion other than for the most part indulging the hosts ancient history when the game was tough.

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad