Sportsnet: No more rebuilding talk: Finally, the future is now for the Senators

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

The Senators playing the role of the hunter, not the hunted. The team “going for it,” not selling off assets to pile up draft picks and prospects. Instead of building for tomorrow, on an endless loop, the Senators are telling their fans and their young core they are all about today.

If you’re like me and either live in Ottawa or are associated with the Senators in some way, you were getting texts through the two days of the NHL Draft. Most along the lines of, “what is up with the Sens? DeBrincat? He’s legit.”

Reactions: Loach

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We brought in a rookie head coach to learn the ropes and lead a young core. If we plan on being any type of destination for quality vets to round out our team how is having a coach everyone was critical off work in getting us to the next level? And we don't really have a # 1 goalie yet. Rebuild is not over. This team has always given us hope and has never delivered. Team looks better on paper but we filled holes and created others.

Reactions: Cosmix

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think it's over yet. Close but I'm very cautious. I don't think our Defense can sustain us and I think Foresberg overachievd.

Either way I'd prefer not being in the habit of trading our 1st round picks.

Reactions: SENStastic

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We brought in a rookie head coach to learn the ropes and lead a young core. If we plan on being any type of destination for quality vets to round out our team how is having a coach everyone was critical off work in getting us to the next level? And we don't really have a # 1 goalie yet. Rebuild is not over. This team has always given us hope and has never delivered. Team looks better on paper but we filled holes and created others.
No one outside of here is overly critical of DJ, and players all around the league love the guy from his coaching days in Junior, not to mention the current players on our team. The coach is not a problem, he’s part of the solution here.

Also, the only ‘hole’ we created was removing a shitty injured goalie, and some picks. We could use a top 4 D and a back up goalie, that’s literally it for the team heading into the season. Adding G or another top 6 guy would be absolute gravy on top.

So far we filled a massive hole up front, and freed up a whack of cash right before UFA period begins, this seems like pretty much the opposite vibe that you’re putting out here.

Honestly I’m not really getting what you’re putting down, is it that you’re afraid to be excited because you have been let down in the past? Fair enough I suppose, I just don’t see the downside of anything that’s been going on around the team for the last several months.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
No one outside of here is overly critical of DJ, and players all around the league love the guy from his coaching days in Junior, not to mention the current players on our team. The coach is not a problem, he’s part of the solution here.

Also, the only ‘hole’ we created was removing a shitty injured goalie, and some picks. We could use a top 4 D and a back up goalie, that’s literally it for the team heading into the season. Adding G or another top 6 guy would be absolute gravy on top.

So far we filled a massive hole up front, and freed up a whack of cash right before UFA period begins, this seems like pretty much the opposite vibe that you’re putting out here.

Honestly I’m not really getting what you’re putting down, is it that you’re afraid to be excited because you have been let down in the past? Fair enough I suppose, I just don’t see the downside of anything that’s been going on around the team for the last several months.
I've learned not to get my hopes up with this team.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I've learned not to get my hopes up with this team.
This team has made it to conference files three times, finals once, and won a president's trophy in past 20 years.

No one makes bigger, crazier trades than dorion. The organization consistently drafts and develops superstars.

You're allowed to be excited. This has been a good team and will be again.

Tomorrow will be fun.

Last edited:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
This team has made it to conference files three times, finals once, and a president's trophy in past 20 years.

No one makes bigger, crazier trades than dorion. The organization consistently drafts and develops superstars.

Tomorrow will be fun.
Couldn't agree more. I think tomorrow Dorion is going to be very very busy.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This team has made it to conference files three times, finals once, and won a president's trophy in past 20 years.

Tomorrow will be fun.
The last conference finals was a fluke and any real success this team has had were 15 years ago. Please name the "superstars" this team consistantly drafts and develops.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The last conference finals was a fluke and any real success this team has had were 15 years ago. Please name the "superstars" this team consistantly drafts and develops.
Sure I'd love to do that for you. How much should I bill you per hour?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It would be nice to make the playoffs this year.

Getting that crucial post-season experience going sooner rather than later is key.

At the minimum they have to be in a playoff race and play meaningful games down the stretch.

If the team struggles early again, DJ has to go.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I don't really think you go far enough.

The fanbase sucks, the arena location is terrible, and we are permanently stuck between the two biggest markets in the league.

For all intents and purposes, this franchise has had a psychotic owner, a dungheap for management, and can't make three good moves in a row.

We've had one HHoF worthy player drafted in the last 20 years.

15 years ago? Was that any real success at all? A finals where we go down in 5 games? Stop drinking the happy nostalgic Ottawa kool-aid.

I think you have to unshackle yourself from this mainstream thinking around "success" and start thinking for yourself for a change, and start taking a page from much more original thinkers like myself.

If it wasn't for masochism, this team should have shuttered its doors and moved to Cleveland years ago. In fact, we'd all be better off if they did, so people like you and other Ottawa fans wouldn't keep believing in this collective delusion, while those of us with much clearer and original vision continue to see things as they really are.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't really think you go far enough.

The fanbase sucks, the arena location is terrible, and we are permanently stuck between the two biggest markets in the league.

For all intents and purposes, this franchise has had a psychotic owner, a dungheap for management, and can't make three good moves in a row.

We've had one HHoF worthy player drafted in the last 20 years.

15 years ago? Was that any real success at all? A finals where we go down in 5 games? Stop drinking the happy nostalgic Ottawa kool-aid.

I think you have to unshackle yourself from this mainstream thinking around "success" and start thinking for yourself for a change, and start taking a page from much more original thinkers like myself.

If it wasn't for masochism, this team should have shuttered its doors and moved to Cleveland years ago. In fact, we'd all be better off if they did, so people like you and other Ottawa fans wouldn't keep believing in this collective delusion.
I don't get it.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's amazing to think how far the Sens have come in 6 months. They are making some solid moves and seem poised to really make significant progress this year. Compare that to the Leafs, Calgary, Winnipeg where they have some real question marks on where they are headed.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's not really worth my time. You've bought into the Ottawa Senators legend about what this team used to be like the vast majority of people.
So the vast majority understand that they were the problem and not us? And that they have to right the ship in order for the majority to support them again? Fixing 2 mistakes (Murray, White) and trading for a good player fixes the incompetence?

I didn't buy into anything. I was the leader at the start of the Murrnyk era saying WTF. Had a permanant facepalm mark on my face because of the Dohrnyk era, and am only now getting back to neutral ground in hopes of a better tomorrow. We are not there yet Sir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad