No matter what happens...

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Up front I'd like to see what Prince, Puempel have to offer. I have a feeling Condra (as much as I like hime) is going going to leave via free agency without an offer.

I think were destined to see one of either Chiasson or Condra walk. In either case I think Prince or Puempel could fill in their roster spot for a cheaper salary. Having said that I'm not sure which one will walk.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
True. There's a part of me that hopes that either Buffalo or Arizona don't win the McDavid lottery for that very reason.

Buffalo's going to end up with Eichel at a minimum. So that's a pretty darn good consolation prize.

Basically the only spot really worth 'tanking' for was 30th to guarantee one of the two players. If you weren't in that race, you're playing for maybe a 1 or 2% chance to win a lottery at the expense of your team pride.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The almighty Pens, who tanked four times and have two generational players in Crosby and Malkin are now battling for the last playoff spot with the Ottawa Senators.

Keep that in mind for all those who look at missing the playoffs and getting a later draft pick as a "disaster".

I'm guessing your sayin' they tanked prior to getting Crosby & Malkin?? Cause if so, they were just a terrible team, far removed from the Jager & Lemieux era!

In the Sens case this year (tanking), we have been rebuilding since 2008, hence the embarrassment!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With some right moves in a summer, we can be real force next season.

Agreed.

This 2nd half has given us back the best player in the game, a future star winger(or 2), a clutch performance by Turris, potentially our number 1 of the future(Hammond) and it showed glimpses of the best 3rd line in the league for a while(Condra, Pageau, Lazar). Also Methot re-esablished himself as a legit top pairing defender as well, imo.

It was a very beneficial run. Zibanejad's progression too.

All we need is more top flight winger and top 4 D and we are contenders, imo.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
First time poster here so be gentle...

I think this last stretch and the season overall has been very good on many fronts and potentially pivotal for upcoming years and here`s why:

EK's year 1 as the team's captain: After Alfie's departure and Spezza's ''failure'' wearing the C and leaving last year, pressure was high on him to prove he could be a good captain. Looks like the team's environment is good and he has a good influence on the players.

Kyle Turris: Pressure was also very high on him to take over 1C duty and produce at the same rate without being ''sheltered'' behind Spezza and potentially facing top opposition every night. I think he did fairly well and I'm confident going forward with him and Zibby forming a good 1-2 punch.

Young core development: Guys like Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, Lazar, Zib clearly established there status on the team and their confidence should be to the roof right now and next year.

Identifying the deadweight: It's clear to everyone now that with the young core taking over, Greening and Smith need to go. Neil and Phillips need to seriously consider retirement or accepting a diminished role. A decision needs to be made with Cowen, Gryba, Wier, Boro... I agree that you need to be patient with young Ds but not when they represent more than half your blueline.

I think the future looks bright but key decisions need to be made this summer :yo:

BigBush*

I think were destined to see one of either Chiasson or Condra walk. In either case I think Prince or Puempel could fill in their roster spot for a cheaper salary. Having said that I'm not sure which one will walk.

Chiasson is an RFA, hes not allowed to walk

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I approve of this thread. Still haven't given up on our playoff hopes yet, but if we end up on the outside of the postseason, this was one hell of ride at the latter part of the season. Losing two crucial points against the Leafs of all teams in the past two weeks sucks majorly but I'm proud of the men for staying in the race until the bitter end.

Xamar*

I think this last stretch and the season overall has been very good on many fronts and potentially pivotal for upcoming years and here`s why:

EK's year 1 as the team's captain: After Alfie's departure and Spezza's ''failure'' wearing the C and leaving last year, pressure was high on him to prove he could be a good captain. Looks like the team's environment is good and he has a good influence on the players.

Kyle Turris: Pressure was also very high on him to take over 1C duty and produce at the same rate without being ''sheltered'' behind Spezza and potentially facing top opposition every night. I think he did fairly well and I'm confident going forward with him and Zibby forming a good 1-2 punch.

Young core development: Guys like Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, Lazar, Zib clearly established there status on the team and their confidence should be to the roof right now and next year.

Identifying the deadweight: It's clear to everyone now that with the young core taking over, Greening and Smith need to go. Neil and Phillips need to seriously consider retirement or accepting a diminished role. A decision needs to be made with Cowen, Gryba, Wier, Boro... I agree that you need to be patient with young Ds but not when they represent more than half your blueline.

I think the future looks bright but key decisions need to be made this summer :yo:

You're the man bro.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Chiasson is an RFA, hes not allowed to walk

He can walk in the sense that he might get a lowball offer from the team and then shop around. Or the GM could decide that he's not worth what he wants and we trade him for draft picks. In either case we free up his roster spot.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Back on topic...
I honestly am happy with the way this season is finishing out.

This drive to end the season is probably as good, if not better than a few playoff games for the kids - especially with the extra attention drawn because of Hammond. I mean it's pretty much been the duration of an entire SCF run that they've been trying for this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Back on topic...
I honestly am happy with the way this season is finishing out.

This drive to end the season is probably as good, if not better than a few playoff games for the kids - especially with the extra attention drawn because of Hammond. I mean it's pretty much been the duration of an entire SCF run that they've been trying for this.

Yep. The kids will definitely be battle tested for next season.

Hopefully surviving all the extra attention and pressure the past two months will insulate them from any regression next year.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, there are positives. Playoffs give the kids more experience, and no playoffs give all the guys a few more weeks to work on problem areas this summer. Either way, if done right, the team will benefit.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Our division could be much weaker next year with Tampa/Mtl being the elite teams while Boston/Toronto looks like they could go full rebuild then Florida there is some talk big names could be moved for more of a youth movement and then there is Buffalo.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Agree on all counts except I still have some doubts about Zibby becoming a true #1C.

He has what, 7 even strength assists this year? That is not close to enough in my books and while I agree he has improved his ability to make something from nothing is still very much a work in progress.

That said I will try to force myself to be happy even if we don't make it in...I got so invested though.

If we swap the extra time wins and losses against the Caps, Wings and Leafs we would be in the exact same spot but personally I would be feeling much better about it. ☺

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I agree. We've had a good few weeks, still season's not over we can still make playoffs.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm guessing your sayin' they tanked prior to getting Crosby & Malkin?? Cause if so, they were just a terrible team, far removed from the Jager & Lemieux era!

In the Sens case this year (tanking), we have been rebuilding since 2008, hence the embarrassment!

Ya Pittsburgh had just reached the end of their rope with the aging vets and moved on from that amazing top 5 of Lemieux, Jagr, Lang, Straka & Kovalev. They were amazing to watch for a few years though.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

The sens have not been rebuilding since 2008. They had struggles and tried to retool on the fly but the rebuild didn't begin until the year.they traded fisher Kelly kovalev and others in 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad