Post-Game Talk: No Gulutzan turned out to be even worse than we expected.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The way the MSM is absolutely carving Koskinen today is so embarrassing and entirely predictable. Smith has been just as bad the last few years and they never have a word to say to him. Holland and Tipp have gutted this team and Spec, Jones and Matty all have the knives out for Koskinen and nobody else. He hasn't been good, but what a joke.

Smith has not been "just as bad". Not even close.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just hate how all the analytics guys, the negative guys and everyone was right about this team. I wanted to believe the winning was sustainable even though the numbers said otherwise.
I hated that I KNEW this was coming and this team was way worse than the record showed but so many refused to see it.
But I mean, I enjoyed the winning when it happened.

As Yaremchuk keeps saying. When Ken Holland took over he needed a top 4 left d, a 3c and a starting goalie. We still need that.
Although McLeod might actually be becoming that 3c
De Nile is one mighty river. I was on that raft too, and I'm usually not that way so predisposed. Thought they finally had a lineup this year, even though I had huge questions about the goaltending. Keith deal, Nuge deal, Smith extension, and well the degree management backed their way into the Nurse deal.

Tippett plays nurse 62mins in a playoff game. A legendary feat. Nurse, comes up to the org and says. "you can't do without me, you can't exist without me, pay me, f*** the bridges, pay me" The org has no choice to pay Darnell pretty much what he asks.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Smith has not been "just as bad". Not even close.

He's been worse.

c28625b3bc46a14adf58a1e72b7ca3b6.png

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
De Nile is one mighty river. I was on that raft too, and I'm usually not that way so predisposed. Thought they finally had a lineup this year, even though I had huge questions about the goaltending. Keith deal, Nuge deal, Smith extension, and well the degree management backed their way into the Nurse deal.

Tippett plays nurse 62mins in a playoff game. A legendary feat. Nurse, comes up to the org and says. "you can't do without me, you can't exist without me, pay me, f*** the bridges, pay me" The org has no choice to pay Darnell pretty much what he asks.
Its weird cause a lot of the decisions made sense in context even though I didn't like them.

Smith was signed cause he just had a great year and at the time he was going to be the backup as they were actively and desperately trying to move Koskinen out for a starter. And the hope was that if he failed, Smith might be able to have a glimmer of last year, but now he is Mr Day To Day

The Nuge deal I don't hate. Nuge overall is a good player who has some struggles although the end of the deal could be an issue but Nuge is smart enough of a guy that I think he could reinvent himself and stay USEFUL for the entire deal. Also some creativity on coaching staffs part there too.

Keith deal was upsetting cause Keith as a player I have no problem with, everything else was majorly bad.

Nurse took every dollar possible from a unsustainable year and the entire team will suffer from it. Nurse got cocky and needs to actually back it up. Its great he has the endurance to play all those minutes but maybe he should actually learn to f***ing defend a bit.

Reactions: ujju2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm switched back into just amused mode. Laughing at how the team is run, managed. Its interesting how automatic that transition feels by now. Its like an automatic transmission seamlessly shifting gears. We've had to do it so many times as Oilers fans preserving our remaining give a shit. I'm getting lots of sarcastic out of town likes as well so must be some shift happening.

Even a week or two ago I was still a daydream believer. or wanted to be.
It's always darkest before eternal night.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Talking about the last 2 years, like the poster said. This year he was excellent in the first 2 games.

Ah. I missed the two years part.

I think there's a pretty clear double standard for Tipp though. Smith has let in 14 goals in his last 2.5 games. That's worse than any full three game stretch Koskinen has ever had. Tipp didn't even mention goaltending when his boy let in six goals the other night.

The narrative right now is they need to upgrade on Koskinen, but the truth is they need a massive upgrade on both of their goalies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I think there's a pretty clear double standard for Tipp though. Smith has let in 14 goals in his last 2.5 games. That's worse than any full three game stretch Koskinen has ever had. Tipp didn't even mention goaltending when his boy let in six goals the other night.

The narrative right now is they need to upgrade on Koskinen, but the truth is they need a massive upgrade on both of their goalies.

Agreed, but I think you address the problem this way:

Upgrade on Koskinen
Skinner
Smith

Smith will only start a minimal amount of times under the new coach. Perfect excuse for that coach is Smith’s health. He probably ends up on LTIR all of next season anyhow and they run the upgrade and Skinner in tandem

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I don't see a double standard. Smith played very well his first 2 games and the past 2 seasons. He has struggled since coming back from 2 month layoff in the 3 games he has played in and I think most goalies would be rusty coming back from a 2 month layoff. Tippett also has a long history with Smith. Koskinen shit the bed last night in spectacular fashion starting 15 seconds into the game. Tippett correctly called that out and it has been game after game of Koskinen krap goaltending. Today Tippett praised him for his good work to start the season.

People complaining about a double standard are simply looking to dump on Tippett for any reason. Had Tippett not said anything the same people would be saying "he isn't even calling out Koskinen, where's the rage?!?!!?!"

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People need to stop picking on Koskinen and saying bad things about him. No wonder no one ever wants to play here!;):laugh:

Cue some lost soul out there in 5...4....3...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People need to stop picking on Koskinen and saying bad things about him. No wonder no one ever wants to play here!;):laugh:

Cue some lost soul out there in 5...4....3...
I don't blame Koskinen for being thrust into a role he wasn't meant for. I blame the goofs that formulated and allowed his extension and the one who didn't even try to find a better goalie in three straight offseasons.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't see a double standard. Smith played very well his first 2 games and the past 2 seasons. He has struggled since coming back from 2 month layoff in the 3 games he has played in and I think most goalies would be rusty coming back from a 2 month layoff. Tippett also has a long history with Smith. Koskinen shit the bed last night in spectacular fashion starting 15 seconds into the game. Tippett correctly called that out and it has been game after game of Koskinen krap goaltending. Today Tippett praised him for his good work to start the season.

People complaining about a double standard are simply looking to dump on Tippett for any reason. Had Tippett not said anything the same people would be saying "he isn't even calling out Koskinen, where's the rage?!?!!?!"

Koskinen lets in a bad goal early and the team manages a single goal. Tippett explicitly blames goaltending for the loss.

The team scores five goals and Smith shits the bed with six goals against including four or five super weak ones. No mention of goaltending.

There's an obvious double standard.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Koskinen lets in a bad goal early and the team manages a single goal. Tippett explicitly blames goaltending for the loss.

The team scores five goals and Smith shits the bed with six goals against including four or five super weak ones. No mention of goaltending.

There's an obvious double standard.

In one game context sure. In the grand scheme of things no double standard. And I’m talking big picture. Anyway we agree to disagree.

Reactions: TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
Its weird cause a lot of the decisions made sense in context even though I didn't like them.

Smith was signed cause he just had a great year and at the time he was going to be the backup as they were actively and desperately trying to move Koskinen out for a starter. And the hope was that if he failed, Smith might be able to have a glimmer of last year, but now he is Mr Day To Day

The Nuge deal I don't hate. Nuge overall is a good player who has some struggles although the end of the deal could be an issue but Nuge is smart enough of a guy that I think he could reinvent himself and stay USEFUL for the entire deal. Also some creativity on coaching staffs part there too.

Keith deal was upsetting cause Keith as a player I have no problem with, everything else was majorly bad.

Nurse took every dollar possible from a unsustainable year and the entire team will suffer from it. Nurse got cocky and needs to actually back it up. Its great he has the endurance to play all those minutes but maybe he should actually learn to f***ing defend a bit.

Yeah being a minute muncher is good only if you are doing good things with that ice time. If not, it gets ugly real fast.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad