News Article: No guarantee, but Berube confident he'll return as Flyers coach

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
What's he supposed to say when asked a question like that, especially if he wants to come back?

Precisely. The quote is as empty as most sports media quotes.

Count me among the many who do not want him back. Berube is simply not an NHL coach and this team won't go anywhere with him at the helm.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The only way he's back, is if Hextall can't really turnover the team as much as he wants and regardless of whatever coach is back there, he knows they will struggle.

But I'm pretty sure he's gone.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
hope you guys can beat Ottawa, I know Philly will play hard bc they are a team that believes in good ole time hockey.

I was one of those people who though Mcdavid would be a nice addition never wanted to see the flyers lose. Ever. For the first time in my life, i will root against the flyers. I hate the bruins more then any other sports franchise (mainly because of jack edwards) but living around their fans too. They dont know hockey at all.

I argued with a fan once who claimed he played the game for years this and that Seguin was still considered a rookie because he only dressed like 45 games the 1st season there and played primarily 4th line minutes so it wouldnt count against his "rookie" status. I was in shock.

Rant over

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Does Berube have 1 yr left on his deal? If he does with the way this team is put together he'll be back. Players play when they want to which doesn't help either.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Look at Hartley and Maurice for 2 prime examples of what a coach can do when he is the right fit for the players you have.

Hopefully only 1 more game :nod:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does Berube have 1 yr left on his deal? If he does with the way this team is put together he'll be back. Players play when they want to which doesn't help either.

I was under the impression that his deal is up after this season.

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
Even if hextall knows we wont be contenders next year i would assume he knows it takes time to implement a new system and next year would be the perfect time to start to introduce a new system. i really do think hes gone:handclap:

EDIT: also dont follow the ahl team as much as i should, but would this be time to shake up the coaching postions at the ahl level?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I was under the impression that his deal is up after this season.

Next season is his last under contract.

Hoping for Tippett but from what I have seen and from ARI fans say he doesn't like bringing up young guys until they are 100 percent ready. People on this board might lose their mind if the young aren't playing right away.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Next season is his last under contract.

I've never seen that confirmed anywhere reliable. If it's true that he has a year left, there should be news stories from October 2013 saying Berube has was a given a three season deal to be the Flyers head coach.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I've never seen that confirmed anywhere reliable. If it's true that he has a year left, there should be news stories from October 2013 saying Berube has was a given a three season deal to be the Flyers head coach.

The Inquirer article in the OP?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Pinaccio said he confirmed with mgmt on Daily News Live.

He said last season Berube worked under his existing contract and the Flyers added two years to it. So, that would be this season and next season. I don't believe he is making that much so it shouldn't deter them from letting him go.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Even if hextall knows we wont be contenders next year i would assume he knows it takes time to implement a new system and next year would be the perfect time to start to introduce a new system. i really do think hes gone:handclap:

EDIT: also dont follow the ahl team as much as i should, but would this be time to shake up the coaching postions at the ahl level?

I really cant see Berube being back next season. Players are going to say the right things regarding the current coach so I am not putting much into that at all.
As far as the Phantoms go, I was hoping they could of got Mark Morris to coach that team but I know he wanted an NHL gig even if it was an assistant.
God I forgot he has been behind the bench in some capacity since 08-09. was an assistant in 06/07 as well. 1 playoff series win in the last 4 years.
I say blow it completely up behind the bench. time for a new voice.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Short of some unbelievable rebound, I can't imagine this team being great under Berube nor our youth (which is critically important) being developed properly or fairly under him. That's huge. So if he's coaching next year I'm not watching either. You can call it a protest or whatever you'd like, but he sucks the enjoyment out of games and aggravates me so much purely because he symbolizes everything that's been wrong with this franchise in my time as a fan of it as well as just how aggravating he is. Sports are entertainment and a passion first and foremost, he manages to lessen both of those.

I wouldn't say a "silent protest" does nothing either. A person refusing to watch or pay for anything is one less loyal consumer that they have. That's bad for any business. So one person doing that fine, they wouldn't notice. It doesn't seem like just one person is feeling this way though. It's also the same line of thinking as voting. If every person thought "well, my vote doesn't matter there's so many people voting my one vote isn't going to change the outcome" and used that as justification to not vote then suddenly it does matter. Collectively, these things matter.

EDIT: And wait, what? I literally have never heard of Berube's contracting lasting longer then this season up until these last few posts.

Jaraco

Mar 13, 2014
California
If Berube does end up keeping his job, I'll still end up watching the 70-75 games I usually watch every year. Sure, I'll be disappointed (really ****ing disappointed), but I'll remain hopeful that maybe he can find a way to prove to us all that he has some brain cells hiding in that noggin of his, and can try to resemble a semi-competent coach. Maybe Hextall can do us all a solid and do the impossible of getting rid of some of the worthless plugs on this roster to remove any possible temptation Berube will have to play them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That would be what makes me most dissapointed as well.

Hextall didn't hire him so for him to keep him here after being the 7th worst team in the league, while being #1 in payroll, would be a really questionable decision at best.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
So is there anyone that believes Berube could improve as a head coach? I actually like Chief, I do also understand he's been out coached badly on the road this season and the record against non-playoff teams is very disheartening. Flyers have had some players excel under him though and they're much tighter defensively than they were under Lavy....with less defensive talent. Definitely won't be cancelling anything if he's back to start the season. It's perfectly acceptable to be down on a coach after a year like this, the disrespect of some on here though is embarrassing. The guy's just trying to do his job, the fat and slob comments are way out of line. They do however bring to light why we have such a **** reputation as fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad