News Article: No guarantee, but Berube confident he'll return as Flyers coach

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
If Berube is back, it's much worse than just another season with a bad coach, it means that we also have a bad GM

And / or the good 'ol boys club regime is still fully intact, just the position title and position name have been changed.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I was under the impression that his deal is up after this season.

I was as well and have been under that impression since October. Thus why I never really got on the "fire him immediately" bandwagon. Just figured ride out the year, let the new guy come in the summer and regroup the troops and implement changes etc. in an appropriate / strategic fashion.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
So is there anyone that believes Berube could improve as a head coach? I actually like Chief, I do also understand he's been out coached badly on the road this season and the record against non-playoff teams is very disheartening. Flyers have had some players excel under him though and they're much tighter defensively than they were under Lavy....with less defensive talent. Definitely won't be cancelling anything if he's back to start the season. It's perfectly acceptable to be down on a coach after a year like this, the disrespect of some on here though is embarrassing. The guy's just trying to do his job, the fat and slob comments are way out of line. They do however bring to light why we have such a **** reputation as fans.

There have also been some very questionable personnel handling.

I think, as other have stated, the bigger picture has to be looked at. That is that there is some serious talent in the pipeline. Do you want Berube to be the guy to grow that talent at the NHL level. The team is not going anywhere fast and is cap strapped. At this point, I would prefer to bring in a guy that I think is going to be THE guy two years from now. For me, Berube is not that guy. So, in that sense, if he is not that guy, why keep him around?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
So is there anyone that believes Berube could improve as a head coach? I actually like Chief, I do also understand he's been out coached badly on the road this season and the record against non-playoff teams is very disheartening. Flyers have had some players excel under him though and they're much tighter defensively than they were under Lavy....with less defensive talent. Definitely won't be cancelling anything if he's back to start the season. It's perfectly acceptable to be down on a coach after a year like this, the disrespect of some on here though is embarrassing. The guy's just trying to do his job, the fat and slob comments are way out of line. They do however bring to light why we have such a **** reputation as fans.

I don't think Berube reads HF, even if he does I would hope he's thicker skinned and smarter then to be offended. Using facetious and humorous jabs at a coach facing almost unanimous disapproval of being our coach, all the meanwhile none of us can do anything about and just have to watch, as a means of saying we're all **** fans is quite the reach.

We're 7th to last in the league and our road record is more then disheartening. It's completely atrocious. Our PK is also worse then it's been in a long time and it's also atrocious. We're 29th or 30th in PK percentage, 7th in the lottery, 23rd in goal differential. This team isn't doing better or performing above expectations in any regard. Mason, Giroux, and Voracek (especially Mason and Voracek) are having absolutely excellent seasons, but it's probably revealing of how badly this team is coached that we can't manage better then 24th in the standings despite having an Art Ross candidate and a goalie putting up Vezina stats on top of Giroux being 10th in points. Laviolette never had a goalie putting up these stats. In fact, he had absolute jokes in net. He also never had Voracek killing it. He had Pronger and Timonen and a competent 4th line. Everywhere else he had similar strengths or was way worse off.

Edit: He also had a SCF to his credit and a far better regular season then Berube has had. Also didn't run Gustafsson nor Reese out of town.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad