Post-Game Talk: No Goals In My Net And Miracles Of The PP... (Isles 0-4 Habs)

POGT? (21/03/2019)

• Total voters

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The played amazing. No other way to describe it.

That Drouin goal was an awesome turn of events from the team. Amazing Price save, Drouin gets the monkey off his back finally. Two guys we're gonna need if we're actually going to do this and sneak in.

Hopefully CAR falters. WC1 is way more desirable (not by much, but still).

Reactions: Redux91

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
So what about Weal? I can see us re-signing him.

In our UFAs I would keep Weal and Benn (or Folin).

Bye bye Niemi and Thompson (even tho he played good yesterday we have so much 4th C playing in the AHL like Evans, Vejdemo and Poehling could play there next year too),

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So what about Weal? I can see us re-signing him.

In our UFAs I would keep Weal and Benn (or Folin).

Bye bye Niemi and Thompson (even tho he played good yesterday we have so much 4th C playing in the AHL like Evans, Vejdemo and Poehling could play there next year too),
I'd be fine re-signing Benn. Our D is going through a transition and needs stability on the bottom pairs. Benn's solid in that role. Weal depends on what he's expecting. I don't see it being worth investing $2M+ of cap space when we have a few prospects who may deliver more for less.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'd be fine re-signing Benn. Our D is going through a transition and needs stability on the bottom pairs. Benn's solid in that role. Weal depends on what he's expecting. I don't see it being worth investing $2M+ of cap space when we have a few prospects who may deliver more for less.
Too early to tell about Weal but Benn I would sign at bottom pairing money. He will probably be offered more on the open market though.

Folin I would let walk because of the influx of young RD in the pipeline and I also expect Juulsen to be 100% recovered and playing a regular shift next season.

While I like Thompson it’s time to make room for the next wave of youngsters

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Too early to tell about Weal but Benn I would sign at bottom pairing money. He will probably be offered more on the open market though.

Folin I would let walk because of the influx of young RD in the pipeline and I also expect Juulsen to be 100% recovered and playing a regular shift next season.

Benn next contract is probably like Pateryn 3 years at 2.25 per year.

I agree with you that if Juulsen is coming back... Folin can go. Folin is replacing Juulsen right now anyway.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I agree with you that if Juulsen is coming back... Folin can go. Folin is replacing Juulsen right now anyway.
Would you be ok with a contract like that for Benn?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I'd be okay with Benn for two years, three if the price is right. Experience has value on a roster with young incoming prospects. The more I think of it, the less we need Weal. Unless he suddenly breaks out like Byron did, why spend cap space on a replaceable fifth-Weal?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats
With our win and CBJ loss, we are back up at 50.9% of making the PO.
4-4-0 gives us 44.9%.
We got back our magic number in at 7-0-1. The number out is 0-7-1.
Our most probable finishes are 17th,15th or 13th (9th, 8th or 7th in the East)

In the East, Boston and Tampa are in. NYR, NJ, Detroit and Ottawa are out.

5 more wins and we make playoffs IMO. Do we make it? Really tough games to finish the year.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Weal deserves some credit. He seems to be at the right places at the right times, I believe he will become a Byron 2.0, a guy we got for nothing that will help the team for a while.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

Not sure we have to sign Benn to that amount when we have Cale Fleury that deserves a chance next season, and younger Folin, Kulak, who IMHO, are playing a better more well-rounded game.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
We better do well against the Sabres, Canes, Panthers, and Blue Jackets.

Those last 4 games look scary for us.

Jets will probably still be trying to win division and will remember what we did to them last time - jets win that one
Tampa are locked in but seem pretty intent on setting all-time wins/points record. have to hope that is mathematically impossible by that point
Caps - hopefully with a few more NYI losses are locked into first in metro by then and Ovi has his 50th goal.
Leafs - who knows. If we need that game they would like nothing more than to knock us out before Boston does it to them. I like that they have beaten us everytime so far- it might help us in that one.

Realistically if we can get 4 points out of that stretch it is the best we can hope for.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those last 4 games look scary for us.

Jets will probably still be trying to win division and will remember what we did to them last time - jets win that one
Tampa are locked in but seem pretty intent on setting all-time wins/points record. have to hope that is mathematically impossible by that point
Caps - hopefully with a few more NYI losses are locked into first in metro by then and Ovi has his 50th goal.
Leafs - who knows. If we need that game they would like nothing more than to knock us out before Boston does it to them. I like that they have beaten us everytime so far- it might help us in that one.

Realistically if we can get 4 points out of that stretch it is the best we can hope for.

Agreed. I think we need to go on a winning streak here to give us a bit of a cushion heading into those last 4 games. Hard to predict if those contenders ice a competitive roster or not.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I can't forsee Weal asking for too much cap. I'll be content with giving him a short term deal near the 1 million mark or so. Career wise he wasmt produced too much in the NHL. He has fit in nicely in Montreal so I can see him taking a shot term deal to see if he can breakout here and cash in after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad