Post-Game Talk: No Goals In My Net And Miracles Of The PP... (Isles 0-4 Habs)

POGT? (21/03/2019)

• Total voters

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be okay with Benn for two years, three if the price is right. Experience has value on a roster with young incoming prospects. The more I think of it, the less we need Weal. Unless he suddenly breaks out like Byron did, why spend cap space on a replaceable fifth-Weal?

I agree 100% on Benn plus you can never have too many D. I was all for waiving Benn before the season started but when used in the right role ( 3rd pair) he is great. Depends on other moves they make of course. Internal help on LD is still a ways away- not sure what gets acquired. Same with Kulak. As long as you keep the AAV under 1.5M there is a less than 500K cap hit if you have to assign them to the minors.

For Weal not sure what kind of money he is looking for. I like the RH face-off expertise I like those 1.3-1.5M AAV 2 year term contracts for marginal 4th liners. Money is low enough that the cap hit penalty of sending them to Laval is managable but still high enough that you can get them through waivers in October if you need too as there are cheaper options out there on waivers at that point.

I could see Folin becoming next years Xaviar Ouellette experiment (probably with the same end result)

Its nice to say play the kids and we need room for the kids if they are ready but we also need viable options if there are not. It is only now at the 70 game mark of the season that we have a 4th line that I feel comfortable with if they get stuck on the ice against anything other than the other teams 4th line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Surprised we won 4-0 but SHOCKED the Oil won

Duchene is looking like the new Vanek, teams are better off without him

The Sens went to the conference finals the year before they got him. Then, when the traded Turris for Duchene they went from one of the better teams in the conference to the seller. The Avs improved a lot once they got rid of him. Coincidence?

If I were him I definitely would have done a sign and trade at the deadline like Stone while I was a hot commodity.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Wow, what a game and what a game before that. Two straight awesome games by our boys.
Claude has made some great great moves to help us succeed.
Swapping Lehk for Drouin.....nice.
Putting Weal on the PP and moving Drouin off the point to play down low is brilliant too.
And of course putting that great 4th line together of Byron, Nate, and Weal is super too.
I don’t know if our boys can keep this up but when they play like this, they can beat anyone. Of course it helps to have Carey playing like Carey to give us though big saves.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You can say whatever you want about Duchene, I'd break the bank for him in the summer anyways. He'd be our best forward on opening day.

Agreed.

He is not a good two way guy. Not thanks. Wherever he goes, they stink.

Duchene is a solid two way guy. Not RoR, but still solid. Speed to burn.

Colorado - Mostly a crap team during his tenure with gapping holes. Not really a surprise they missed more than they made it.

Ottawa - Just off their playoff run that left them 1 goal away from the cup finals. Seems great, adding a guy like Duchene might be enough, right? Wrong. That team sucked and got some players who elevated their play at the right time and got on hot streaks. Boston was the worse team to make the playoffs that year, even with Ottawa limping in. Lundqvist couldn't stop anything. They played genuinely well against Pittsburgh, so that made it seem like they might just sneak in again.

Duchene started off slow in Ottawa. Once he got going he was a very good player for them, it's just there wasn't a whole lot around the team. They needed to add Duchene on top of Turris. Methot was gone, too.

Columbus - A team sitting just outside the playoffs. It wasn't like they were a juggernaut and all of a sudden they hit a wall when he got there. Team wasn't the best to begin with and now their number 1 goalie is struggling with an injury. On top of that, they did a big no-no and added so many players at once. Sure, during the off season is fine as you'll have training camp, pre-season and then regular season starts before games matter. You don't add that many players to your lineup at that time. Granted, Kinkaid isn't really much, but I'm sure they knew Bob was injured before the TDL

Duchene, if he came here wouldn't boost us to cup contenders, but it would certainly be a positive move and only help this team. He's good on faceoffs, adds to the speed of the team and can make players a little bit better. Can you imagine Byron and he on a pk ?

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's funny that you are "with" my assessment of a player but the other day you told me I didn't know anything about hockey because I didn't play AAA hockey as you did. You also called me a bigot, fun times. #HF remembers.

There ought to be a Super Fan Board for people who feel superior to others and claim to have particular insider knowledge.

I understand such a board would be moderated by Eric Karlsson.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If the fact that Duchene was a hardcore Habs fan growing up can give us a shot to sign him, we'd be crazy not to do it, we might never have a shot at a UFA of his stature ever again. #1 center with rockets on his skates.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If the fact that Duchene was a hardcore Habs fan growing up can give us a shot to sign him, we'd be crazy not to do it, we might never have a shot at a UFA of his stature ever again. #1 center with rockets on his skates.

I want our own little boy Tavares (Duchene) commercial. Lol

Weally though, his style fits and his hands are superior to the vast majority of our forwards. Duchene is a dad now (vs. time in COL) and Weber can death-stare him to ensure no ****ing around on Matt's part.

Worry about the domino effect later. Maybe Danault goes back to LW, maybe he goes period. Good problem to have.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
CLICK HERE- Matt Duchene

Matt Duchene has represented Canada at three editions of the IIHF World Championship, finishing fifth in 2013 and 2011 after a seventh place finish in 2010.
Duchene had first worn the maple leaf internationally as a member of the gold medal-winning team at the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championship. He also won gold with Team Canada at the 2012 Spengler Cup during the NHL lockout.

Parents Vince and Christine … Has one sister, Jessica … His uncle, Newell Brown, won the Memorial Cup with Cornwall in 1980 and the Stanley Cup, as an assistant coach, with Anaheim in 2007… Wears #9 in honour of Maurice Richard … Favourite NHL team growing up: Montreal Canadiens … Favourite NHL player growing up : Sidney Crosby … Sports idol: Peter Forsberg… Favourite movie: Wedding Crashers… Favourite TV show: Nashville… Enjoys country music, playing guitar and fishing…

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Didn't watch the game, but just saw the highlights... what a dirty slide by Barzal running into Price, never even tried to avoid him,clearly intentional. Kind of dirty dangerous play that the league should look at.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

To me its obvious he's been angling to possibly join the habs, im not trying to hype it up or anything, its just too many things lining up that show him getting a serious offer from bergevin, i mean even just geographically he'd rather be close to his home, and ottawa would be the closest but he doesnt want to be there, toronto would be next closest and they dont have the cash, and then its oh look montreal next closest, on top of everything else, i think he truly honest to god wants to join the team, and hopefully, if he does, gives his all for the team should he join

I want him purely for the speed on top of everything else honestly, forget the fact he's a 30 goal scoring center...

IF it turns out we magically make the playoffs and its columbus of all teams that is the odd man out, id go as far as considering his addition a done deal

Habsqqww

Mar 10, 2019
The Sens went to the conference finals the year before they got him. Then, when the traded Turris for Duchene they went from one of the better teams in the conference to the seller. The Avs improved a lot once they got rid of him. Coincidence?

sounds like the perfect type of player MB would go after,

he traded for Drouin when nobody else wanted him, and look how great he has been for us :sarcasm:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
CLICK HERE- Matt Duchene

Matt Duchene has represented Canada at three editions of the IIHF World Championship, finishing fifth in 2013 and 2011 after a seventh place finish in 2010.
Duchene had first worn the maple leaf internationally as a member of the gold medal-winning team at the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championship. He also won gold with Team Canada at the 2012 Spengler Cup during the NHL lockout.

Parents Vince and Christine … Has one sister, Jessica … His uncle, Newell Brown, won the Memorial Cup with Cornwall in 1980 and the Stanley Cup, as an assistant coach, with Anaheim in 2007… Wears #9 in honour of Maurice Richard … Favourite NHL team growing up: Montreal Canadiens … Favourite NHL player growing up : Sidney Crosby … Sports idol: Peter Forsberg… Favourite movie: Wedding Crashers… Favourite TV show: Nashville… Enjoys country music, playing guitar and fishing…

That's it, he's part of Price & Weber's next country music-fuelled fishing trip up some lake in BC. Totally confirmed.

He can be the guy who goes and gets another case when they run out. :D

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Habs management would be stupid to not go in on Duchene. If the stories are true and he has actually been a Habs fan since childhood, you'd think that would give us an edge, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to play here. Looking at it as a fan and as a professional athlete are two completely different things I'm afraid.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He is not a good two way guy. Not thanks. Wherever he goes, they stink.

That's what people were saying about ROR. Great player but ****y attitude. Eevery team that got him couldn't win and this was the case even with St-Louis until January. Look at them now. Those affiramation are full of bs.

I think the same about Duchene. Bring him here with his talent and whatever his attitude is, he won't be bigger here than the team structure which look pretty strong and most certanly bows to Captain Mountain.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
You can say whatever you want about Duchene, I'd break the bank for him in the summer anyways. He'd be our best forward on opening day.
He’s 100% the guy we need. He would complete our top 6 for next season.

Domi-Duchene-Shaw
Drouin-Kotka-Gally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad