No games on Halloween?

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
NHL knows they'll lose viewership to reruns of "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Probably so the players can spend time with their family and go out trick or treating.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's probably so that players, as well as team staff and fans, can simply enjoy the holiday, if they wish. Not everyone does anything or likes Halloween parties, but just having the night free to get with friends and/or watch a good (scary) movie by yourself is nice. I don't recall if recent past Halloweens have had games scheduled, but it could be a provided day off that was negotiated in the CBA.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm all for there being zero games on any major holidays. Let the players and staff be with their family and friends

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Blues are in New York tonight, so not like they are back at their suburban neighborhood being normal dads taking their kids trick or treating... I suspect this all is in relation to viewership, brilliant assumption I know.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Cause its a holiday on a Monday. The league is Tuesday, Thursday, Friday Saturday heavy schedule for most teams so it flows naturally. Besides it probably hurts attendance to have it on a non federal holiday.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's a Monday, guys. Mondays during the NFL season are not good for viewership. There are usually maybe 1 or 2 games at most.

Last year Halloween fell on a Saturday and there were the regular amount of Saturday night games. Also, Halloween is not a major holiday.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Halloween is a holiday? Am I getting paid double time today? How old are some of you posters

Hal2000

Nov 16, 2010
Halloween is a holiday? Am I getting paid double time today? How old are some of you posters

I will gladly second this. Most Halloween parties/activities seem to be the weekends leading up anyways. Just kinda lame for the NHL

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
NHL is going as the inevitable next lockout as their costume for Halloween this year and having no games being played completes it.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Halloween has been corrupted into a weird adult 'holiday'.

People are always complaining about the breakneck NHL schedule but then they go and take frivolous holidays all over the place and people defend it like it's some precious entitlement.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It's probably so that players, as well as team staff and fans, can simply enjoy the holiday, if they wish. Not everyone does anything or likes Halloween parties, but just having the night free to get with friends and/or watch a good (scary) movie by yourself is nice. I don't recall if recent past Halloweens have had games scheduled, but it could be a provided day off that was negotiated in the CBA.

1. it's not a holiday.

2. most players do not have kids. it's a young mans game now. only a small percentage of players now have kids that are old enough to trick or trick.

the idea of the NHL taking a night off just so their players can watch scary movies is perhaps the dumbest thing imaginable.

i think this has more to do with it being a Monday night. Monday nights only usually have a couple games anyway. next year it's on a Tuesday so it should be back to normal.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's because it's a Monday and there's rarely any games on Mondays during football season anyway. Nothing to do with Halloween.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad