Confirmed with Link: No Captain This Season : Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty & Subban Assistants

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
My guess is that he would've been named captain if not for being a goalie. He seems to carry a lot of respect in that dressing room.

The four guys they chose were the right ones in my opinion. And I don't think this is a bad move. They can pick a captain next year.

It certainly didn't hurt the team in 09-10 to be captainless.

Montreal should go ahead and put letters on them for different meaning.

Markov: G for General
Plekanec: T for Turtlenec
Pacioretty: SM for Spider-Man
Price: $ for Price is Right
Subban: BP for Boston Pizza

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
But you presumably need to be a leader to wear the C. That's also the message being sent by this decision. It's the right decision for this particular lineup but this group doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

This team will be led by a scared, inconsistent power forward, a defenseman who has matured but, not so long ago, was a coach headache and a Russian mime.

It's not catastrophic, but the Habs certainly need to address the leadership void on this team sooner or later.

No need to worry, Dorothy will show up and take them all to see the Wizard.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

The mental image of Price with a dollar sign on his jersey is pretty rich.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Don't underestimate the signing of Malhotra who's been describe as an absolute leader everywhere he has played. But I agree Habs will need someone in the top 9 sooner than later.

I like malhotra but he's not going to be put into a leadership role. He's a good locker room guy (apparently) but he's going to play on the 4th line and whether he's here next year or not is still pretty much up in the air.

Markov said he's not interested, and I'm fine with any of the other three getting the C.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I like this...I think its a good move....if PK's the worth captain everyone believes him to be (myself included)...no reason why he shouldn't be at the end of this year....just more time to prove himself. I like how it includes patch too...cause it's be hard not to give Andrei or pleks and A.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
It basically also eliminates Pleks and Markov from the running.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, at least in Pleks case. He could pick it up a notch in the leadership department this season and impress his teammates and management further, which could lead to extension talk.

Markov probably though.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
i
Subban says he's absolutely O.K. with that decision and just wants to be
part of the team, just like any other guy and one of the boys. You know;
equal to everyone and not treated differently in any way...:sarcasm:

vb8c6rY.jpg

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
This seems like a smart way to do it. This will give the team/management/coaches a chance to see how the dressing room evolves this year with Gionta/Gorges gone. By next season, they can either decide a young guy like Patches/PK really stood out and deserves it, or that it would be better served on a Vet like Plekanec/Markov for at least a few years before being passed on to the youth.

I also like that this was announced at the beginning of camp to avoid any extra drama around the issue. It seemed like half of the questions the media were asking every Habs player was about the captaincy. I'd rather focus attention on player development and performance during rookie/training camp, not some sort of captaincy side show.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
It's funny seeing the enthusiastic response here among other places, and then looking over at RDS.ca...

27xo3ts.jpg

Way to go, amateurs.

Edit for non-Frenchies :

"An already impopular decision : Our experts Gaston Therien and some other shmuck react (they actually mindlessly whine about how "we can't do things like everyone else and have 1C 2As"... probably because there's no leaders in the room, according to them) to the nomination of 4 As instead of one "true" captain."

I'm so glad they're finally having competition. ****ing clowns.

They are already mad that boo-boo didn't get re-uped and given the C with his new contract. And that davey didn't get an A

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't get your Spiderman and Boston Pizza references.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I like it, but the only thing that scares me is the possibility of two "clique" forming in the room, Subban's against Pacioretty's. I hope these two get along well.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I like it, but the only thing that scares me is the possibility of two "clique" forming in the room, Subban's against Pacioretty's. I hope these two get along well.

I doubt that would happen...

I agree with the decision too. I don't mind that this year we don't have a captain for the habs. I'm pretty sure Subban's gonna have it next year.

On a sidenote: Do you guys think the habs are more careful when choosing their captain considering the team's history? It may seem like a dumb question, but do you think a younger team like the Preds or the Blue Jackets would already have named Subban captain in the same situation, and that perhaps because being the habs' captain has some sort of symbolic meaning or whatever, the management has to be more careful or show more patience when choosing a new captain?

Because before Gionta was named captain, we also spent a year captainless, and now there is this year too... That's twice in a row that we spend a year without a captain after the previous one left. Is it simply because of the players' situations, or because of the meaning for the team?

Just asking :)

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

All reports indicate that those 2 are pretty close, or at least close enough. They're a lot a like with their off season training and have that in common, intense trainers. I don't think that's an issue.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Um patches is Wolverine...everyone habs fan knows that lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pacioretty looks like the kid in the new Spider-Man movies.

Subban appears in Boston Pizza commercials.

Really? I don't see the resemblance really..
People always called Max wolverine for his healing abilities so didn't get the other superhero reference.
I don't think I ever saw Pk in a BP commercial.

Anyways, thx for explaining ;)

MJN79

Nov 21, 2008
It's funny seeing the enthusiastic response here among other places, and then looking over at RDS.ca...

27xo3ts.jpg

Way to go, amateurs.

Edit for non-Frenchies :

"An already impopular decision : Our experts Gaston Therien and some other shmuck react (they actually mindlessly whine about how "we can't do things like everyone else and have 1C 2As"... probably because there's no leaders in the room, according to them) to the nomination of 4 As instead of one "true" captain."

I'm so glad they're finally having competition. ****ing clowns.

Can't stand these 2 especially Therrien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad