No bargin bin signings?

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I think with the Dubas bargain bin we have to put them in two categories

The educated guess/retirement bargain bin:

We hit 60% of these probably which is pretty good bunting, Samsonov, gio etc

Then we had the throw shit to the wall and see what sticks bin:

We probably went 1/8 last year on this which was ZAR but that was the gaudette, dahlstrom, mete box

The first box this year I think we just went for a bit higher end because we don't have the dead weight we had last.

Second sure we can try near training camp I guess, but think it was part of the reason we had no identity. We just cycled through random guys on the 4th line.

Dubas is doing the same in Pittsburgh. I hope we maybe get a couple but we don't need to waste every contract slot on league min guys hoping we go 1/10. Another reason why the SHANNY IS A MASTERMIND shit is dumb

That's the benefit you get when you're not carrying 9 mil of cap on trash ( Murray, Holl, kerfoot) and sitting on your hands hoping that muzzin isn't actually hurt

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Feels like a dumb thing to complain about but Dubas did a fairly good job of this. Michael Bunting and Jason Spezza being obvious successes in this category for us.

Joe Thornton, Jimmy Vesssy and Denis Malkin being obvious duds that didn't work out in the same time frame. Could bury them easy though so no big concern.

Regardless, my question is do you wish Treliving took advantage of the Leafs financial might capitalizing on project players that would get the 1 way guaranteed contracts compared to other teams offering 2 way?

Perhaps it doesn't work out, but ironically Dubas signed Andreas Johnsson to a low risk gamble and I just wish Trev threw a couple feelers like that out this summer.

Still happy with our offseason however especially with the Bertuzzi signing and such. Just curious on your guys thoughts if we should of took better advantage of the discount rack.

We finally have some ELCs and cheap depth (thanks Lou) that can play (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Timmins), not sure we need the cheap signings.

This year it looks like we lucked out with some 1-year signings that were low risk/high reward because of the cap likely increasing and players betting on themselves, I think we made the right moves (minus Reaves).

Eric bungay

Jun 30, 2018
Caught an article yesterday on Cal Foote looks to be interesting on a cheap one year 2way contract ? What do you all think on this player ? Might be a good cheap pickup ?

Reactions: bax

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We finally have some ELCs and cheap depth (thanks Lou) that can play (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Timmins), not sure we need the cheap signings.

This year it looks like we lucked out with some 1-year signings that were low risk/high reward because of the cap likely increasing and players betting on themselves, I think we made the right moves (minus Reaves).

Robertson might be able to play if he could stay healthy but he can't

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah I agree man, on the market I don't see much that could be very useful. Still when we signed Bunting I thought he was a 13 /fill in 4th liner and he turned out much better than that lol.

You mentioned Kase and agree he was a great pick up well he lasted too lol. Honestly once you think about it, Samsonov was a bargain bin back up goalie signing that just worked out. Dubas gets minimal credit for it however considering he traded for broken injured bum.
What this really shows is how terrible the wiz kid was at developing players that we had to sign players every year with injury problems that he said wanted to be in TO, but really needed a paycheque, and good medical teams.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pius Suter and Paul Statsny are 2 guys I'd be interested in, if their is a bargain signing.

As strong as I believe this team is up front, there is a hole at 3rd line center and both can play center.

I'd lean towards Suter because of age but either would be a quality add.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pius Suter and Paul Statsny are 2 guys I'd be interested in, if their is a bargain signing.

As strong as I believe this team is up front, there is a hole at 3rd line center and both can play center.

I'd lean towards Suter because of age but either would be a quality add.
Right now Leafs are +$3.2 mil over the cap and must actually remove players before they can add an others potentially.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Right now Leafs are +$3.2 mil over the cap and must actually remove players before they can add an others potentially.
SpaceX launches it's next Falcon Heavy on July 23rd. I'm really hoping Tre shoots for the stars with his next move and puts Matt Murray on it.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'm sure he resembles a lot of people but choosing the loser buffoon TeeVee character from perhaps the most subversive sitcom in broadcast history signals intent as far as I'm concerned.
Kinda like calling a young handsome man in glasses “boy blunder” or whatever nonsense people would say about Kyle?

Caught an article yesterday on Cal Foote looks to be interesting on a cheap one year 2way contract ? What do you all think on this player ? Might be a good cheap pickup ?
Not until we know full details about that 2018 team Canada WJC fiasco. Him comtois McLeod and others are all radioactive right now

Reactions: Eric bungay

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

Imagine blaming Lou for our GM drafting 3 players that made an impact for us on their ELCs in 5 years and trading 2 of them away.

Not to mention trading every first under the sun for 0 gain.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Quite literally can't get any. Even if the Leafs get rid of Murray cleanly and re-sign Samsonov to like $3 million that doesn't leave much cap room at all unless more surgery is applied to the roster. All the bargain bin money will go to Knies and whichever other rookie/young player impresses enough for a roster spot, be it Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, etc.

Leafs did go out and get cheap AHL guys in Gambrell, Lagesson, and Lajoie but I'll bet they're here for the Marlies and the occasional callup. And honestly it's fine if we don't get any bargain bin guys anyway. Those types of signings were a Dubas staple but Tree is under no obligation to continue that. I'm much more satisfied with taking big swings on multiple proven commodities in Bertuzzi, Domi, and Klingberg than lower-end guys like NAK, Gaudette, Benn, and Mete.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we have to see how the Samsonov/Murray contracts resolve before the final bargain bin pieces are acquired.

Some guys who might be of interest:

Jesse Puljujarvi, the ultimate reclamation
Patrick Nemeth, mutant defenseman,
Anders Bjork
Danton Heinen
Colin White
Caleb Jones
Tyler Motte
Tomas Nosek, the other David Kampf
Austin Watson, big crash and bang forward, not sure if there was some controversey attached to him
Adam Erne, failed power forward

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Completely forgot about that ...
Any news on when the results will be out from the nhl investigation?

Friedman on June 3rd posted this on Twitter.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly says the NHL's independent investigator has completed their investigation into the 2018 World Junior gala and is putting together their report. It is expected early in the summer.

Reactions: Eric bungay

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Quite literally can't get any. Even if the Leafs get rid of Murray cleanly and re-sign Samsonov to like $3 million that doesn't leave much cap room at all unless more surgery is applied to the roster. All the bargain bin money will go to Knies and whichever other rookie/young player impresses enough for a roster spot, be it Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, etc.

Leafs did go out and get cheap AHL guys in Gambrell, Lagesson, and Lajoie but I'll bet they're here for the Marlies and the occasional callup. And honestly it's fine if we don't get any bargain bin guys anyway. Those types of signings were a Dubas staple but Tree is under no obligation to continue that. I'm much more satisfied with taking big swings on multiple proven commodities in Bertuzzi, Domi, and Klingberg than lower-end guys like NAK, Gaudette, Benn, and Mete.

I agree, I prefer the high impact quality depth too, I love our current top 6, and honestly love our top 9 in terms of winger depth.

I wouldn't mind having Pius Suter coming in and filling the 3rd line center spot.

Knies Suter Jarnkrok as the 3rd line?

Looks OK to me

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad