No bargin bin signings?

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Feels like a dumb thing to complain about but Dubas did a fairly good job of this. Michael Bunting and Jason Spezza being obvious successes in this category for us.

Joe Thornton, Jimmy Vesssy and Denis Malkin being obvious duds that didn't work out in the same time frame. Could bury them easy though so no big concern.

Regardless, my question is do you wish Treliving took advantage of the Leafs financial might capitalizing on project players that would get the 1 way guaranteed contracts compared to other teams offering 2 way?

Perhaps it doesn't work out, but ironically Dubas signed Andreas Johnsson to a low risk gamble and I just wish Trev threw a couple feelers like that out this summer.

Still happy with our offseason however especially with the Bertuzzi signing and such. Just curious on your guys thoughts if we should of took better advantage of the discount rack.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
We are not gonna get lucky with a bunting, Kase, Spezza this Free agency it seems

I feel Tatar could be a pickup, he sucks in the playoffs but he’s still a decent player and on the main boards people are saying he might come cheap, I think I even saw a devils poster saying him maybe taking a PTO. I’d much rather pay him 2ish million than reaves 1.3 or whatever

If donskoi were to play I’d like to see if we can get him on a Kase 1 year prove it deal, but he seems out

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a Toronto boy who wants to come play for league min at the moment

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
We are not gonna get lucky with a bunting, Kase, Spezza this Free agency it seems

I feel Tatar could be a pickup, he sucks in the playoffs but he’s still a decent player and on the main boards people are saying he might come cheap, I think I even saw a devils poster saying him maybe taking a PTO. I’d much rather pay him 2ish million than reaves 1.3 or whatever

If donskoi were to play I’d like to see if we can get him on a Kase 1 year prove it deal, but he seems out

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a Toronto boy who wants to come play for league min at the moment

Yeah I agree man, on the market I don't see much that could be very useful. Still when we signed Bunting I thought he was a 13 /fill in 4th liner and he turned out much better than that lol.

You mentioned Kase and agree he was a great pick up well he lasted too lol. Honestly once you think about it, Samsonov was a bargain bin back up goalie signing that just worked out. Dubas gets minimal credit for it however considering he traded for broken injured bum.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think the bargain bin signings aren't happening because the Leafs' have the likes of Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, etc legitimately vying for spots so Trev went with rounding out complimentary players in Domi and Bertuzzi who have proven a lot more legitimacy in the top 9.

That being said they're cap strapped until Murray gets sorted out

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Brad is enjoying his summer, happy with his signings! taking some much needed Rest! He will be ready soon!
sitting-on-couch-al-bundy.gif

Last edited:

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Much rather the direction Tree took. The bargain bin deals were very low %. Bertuzzi Domi, Reaves and Kling over all Dubas’ bargain bins.

Meh I like most of Trevs singings, besides Reaves (3 YEARS lol) . Domi I don't see much more useful than a Jarnkrok that can occasionally punch a face. Not a horrible thing.

Bertuzzi is our Bunting replacement which is a huge upgrade. Still he won't get pp1 duties most likely. Will hurt his numbers for sure. Unless he's replacing JT netfront which he probably should I just don't see huge production for him.

Klingberg I think is much much better on the PP than Reilly. He'll have significant opportunity there and I think he'll thrive in the regular season atleast.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Not gonna see anything until we can either move Murray or buy him out and get Samsonovs contract finalized. Then I'm sure the only moves we'll do late is PTOs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For this particular thing they really shouldn't be though. Not saying they don't take priority over lesser players but 1 year gambles like that have zero effect on cap manipulation for next year.
Instead of dumpster diving Treliving has taken 1 year flyers on Bertuzzi @ $5.5 mil, Domi @ $3.0 mil and Klingberg $4.15 mil.

That simply feels so much more productive compared to last summers batch of free agent signings.

Jordie Benn (1 Year, $750,000 AAV)
Victor Mete (1 Year, $750,000 AAV)
Nicolas Aube-Kubel (1 Year, $1 Million AAV)
Adam Gaudette (1 Year, $750,000 AAV)
Denis Malgin (1 Year, $750,000 AAV)
Calle Jarnkrok (4 Years, $2.1 Million AAV)

& PTO signing
Zach Aston-Reese (1 Year, $840,000 AAV)

PS. But I know what you driving at, because there were several unqualified players or young players I might have taken a flyer on as well.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Some of the bargain binners won’t realize that’s what they are for a couple more weeks yet. They’ll hold onto hope for a million plus but a few will have to settle for bin money.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's only July. Once Murray, Matthews and Nylander get sorted out, I imagine we may see some more movement. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey in on a PTO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have got to get their goaltending sorted out first and foremost.

Sammy and Murray need to be resolved and Leafs need a cheap veteran goalie to become their 3rd behind the pairing of Woll and Samsonov.

However who is to say a player like Patty Kane doesn't come up to the Leafs GM and say I want to play wing for Auston Matthews next year on a 1 year @ $1 mil deal later this summer. :)

So instead of taking a flyer on Denis Malgin the Leafs take one on Patty Kane. :wg:

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
It's only July. Once Murray, Matthews and Nylander get sorted out, I imagine we may see some more movement. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey in on a PTO.

Yeah I think Bailey is a decent PTO candidate.
I'm sure JT and him are buddies first off. Still based on his recent performance he's going to have to outplay a lot of young guys for a spot which I don't see happening.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs have got to get their goaltending sorted out first and foremost.

Sammy and Murray need to be resolved and Leafs need a cheap veteran goalie to become their 3rd behind the pairing of Woll and Samsonov.

However who is to say a player like Patty Kane doesn't come up to the Leafs GM and say I want to play wing for Auston Matthews next year on a 1 year @ $1 mil deal later this summer. :)

So instead of taking a flyer on Denis Malgin the Leafs take one on Patty Kane. :wg:

Well he's out until around December so that's not happening

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Some of the bargain binners won’t realize that’s what they are for a couple more weeks yet. They’ll hold onto hope for a million plus but a few will have to settle for bin money.

I'd much rather Treliving's approach of high impact, high caliber depth like Bertuzzi, Domi and Klingberg over here is Some random bullshit let's hope it works.

Treliving brought in as many quality UFA's in 1 day, as Dubas Did in 5 years.

If there is going to be a PTO make it a PTO that has the potential to work like Tomas Tatar who I'm shocked isn't signed yet considering he had 20 goals.

Or Pius Suter.

Or Max Comtois

Or Josh Bailey

Make it a quality PTO, not a waste of time

Reactions: Bellzy

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

The wretched refuse of your teeming shores.

Lady Liberty sounds like she's describing what the Leafs look for bargain bin hunting every year. Building their team same way America made their country great. Taking on castoffs no longer wanted where they're originally from.

Signing other teams rejects is a Leafs specialty.

I don't expect that to end any time soon. There's been so many different cruddy guys come and go lately I can't even remember them all. And they've all been the exact same lousy player.

For all the dumpster diving, Bunting and Kampf are the ONLY two guys that were any good.

All the rest were empty calorie players. Guys that sucked up a roster spot and not much else. Losers like Ritchie, Vesey and Thornton.

The Leafs love guys like that.

Derelicts from other teams will always be welcome here.

Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad