Speculation: No. 30 in MSG Rafters

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Calling 36 to be retired. Bump this thread in 10 years to see if I was right

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Some blame the goalie, some blame the defense. I'm going to guess if you thought to post what you just did, we might not ever see eye to eye when analyzing this game. That goes for anyone who thinks to blame Henrik for any kind of mess this season or any past post-seasons.

I'll give it a shot anyway, Cam Talbot still looked great in his few losses, and shouldn't be blamed for those losses. Just as Hank is too often the only one worth a damn out there, no matter how many goals went in.

He's the best goalie in the world, possibly ever when you watch and compare to him enough. To do what he's been doing on non-Prez trophy worthy teams, with little regard to net protection, is a miracle. Sure they've blocked shots as much as they could, but nobody for years will body an opponent in front of him. (Richter was victim to similar fate, Brodeur was not). He just somehow happens to have accolades to back it all up.

The fact that you are calling Lundqvist the best goalie ever, at this point in his career, tells me you are either not objective or haven't seen enough goalies.

I love Lundqvist. He has been one of the best NHL goalies for years. No argument there. But I wouldn't say he has been the best goalie every year and his playoffs have not been dominant. I'd probably still place Roy ahead of him. Roy's performance as a rookie leading the Habs to a Cup was insane, and he's the only NHL player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy 3 times (and for 2 different teams, no less!). That said, for my money, the best ever might be Dominik Hasek who won the NHL league MVP in back to back seasons. Take a look at the 98-99 Sabres team Hasek led to the Finals and you'll have renewed respect for the guy. He won an Olympic Gold, like The King, and ultimately won a Cup with the Wings.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
Is this really a debate? Short of him alienating the entire organization and fan base I think it's already a certainty.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
He's on pace for 32 wins this year. If he plays this inconsistently for another six years, he'd still finish with over 480 wins. That would put him in the top four of NHL goalies all time. That's first ballot Hall of Fame territory, forget about the MSG rafters.

I'm not looking to knock Lundqvist so I'll just leave it at this: (1) Lundqvist will have an easier time getting into the HHOF because of his international accomplishments. (2) If you think he's had a great season this season, we'd be disagreeing on that. (3) Accumulating stats won't always get you into the HHOF. Curtis Joseph has 454 wins and isn't in the HOF.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The fact that you are calling Lundqvist the best goalie ever, at this point in his career, tells me you are either not objective or haven't seen enough goalies.

I love Lundqvist. He has been one of the best NHL goalies for years. No argument there. But I wouldn't say he has been the best goalie every year and his playoffs have not been dominant. I'd probably still place Roy ahead of him. Roy's performance as a rookie leading the Habs to a Cup was insane, and he's the only NHL player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy 3 times (and for 2 different teams, no less!). That said, for my money, the best ever might be Dominik Hasek who won the NHL league MVP in back to back seasons. Take a look at the 98-99 Sabres team Hasek led to the Finals and you'll have renewed respect for the guy. He won an Olympic Gold, like The King, and ultimately won a Cup with the Wings.

No, I've seen them all. AND I'm quite objective. Regurgitating something you could've read in the Hockey News doesn't mean anything toward what I've seen and know.

Funny thing is, just based on his style alone, I called him the best I've seen back in 2005 after we won that 15 round SO and I got the same thing you just gave me. He has yet to fail on backing me up, so I don't see how I haven't seen enough goalies (which is the dumbest damn thing I think anyone's told me recently).

Anyway, Hasek and Roy are the next best to me if it matters. As much as we've all heard the debate, I don't know which I'd takeover the other, because I see things objectively ;)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm not looking to knock Lundqvist so I'll just leave it at this: (1) Lundqvist will have an easier time getting into the HHOF because of his international accomplishments. (2) If you think he's had a great season this season, we'd be disagreeing on that. (3) Accumulating stats won't always get you into the HHOF. Curtis Joseph has 454 wins and isn't in the HOF.

IMO Curtis Joseph was the 3rd best 1990s highlight reeler behind Hasek and Richter respectively. I think he deserves an eventual HHOF slot.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

1. I agree.

2. I never said that.

3. Joseph's most notable success was his longevity. He won those games in 20 seasons. Six more years for Lundqvist would bring him to 15. Joseph never won a major award, either. There's not much of a comparison, really. At least there won't be when all is said and done, barring some unforseen injury or collapse in play. Your point is well taken, but mine is that Henrik Lundqvist's statistical accomplishments upon retirement should place him firmly amongst the greatest of all time. Having his number retired should be but a formality.

SupersonicMonkey*

His number will absolutely be retired.

I also see a HOF induction in his future. Just me, though.

Without a doubt he is a future Hall of Famer.

He is going to crush every Rangers goaltending record. Games, Wins, Shutouts.

#30 is definitely going in the rafters.

SupersonicMonkey*

Often times players wrongly get snubbed.

Why is Pete Rose not in Cooperstown? Other than betting?

There's a lot of politics and bull crap involved.

Henrik should be in when all is said and done. Joseph should be as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Often times players wrongly get snubbed.

Why is Pete Rose not in Cooperstown? Other than betting?

There's a lot of politics and bull crap involved.

Henrik should be in when all is said and done. Joseph should be as well.

Pete Rose is also a complete *******. So it's not just betting.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I posted this on the tweeter, but yeah, Lundqvist is very good:

BiZ0MvOCIAAuhbb.png

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
If i'm making the decision, no cup then his number won't be retired EVER. Most likely his number will be retired, whether or not he wins a cup, & most likely it will be fairly soon after he reties. If no cup is won he should have to wait like Howe & old what's his name did.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
He will be up there no question unless he TOTALLY implodes or does something to upset the organization. Doesn't need a cup or anything else.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
How do you not retire the # of the goalie who won the most games, played the most games, got the most shut outs, most Vezina nominations, etc? It's not even a close call. Sixty years from now, our moderator Brian Boyle will still be telling his grandkids about how great it was watching Lundqvist play.

Unless Lundqvist gets arrested for Cannibalism, his number will be retired.

KreiMeARiver*

ugh just thinking about life without Hank scares me.

Like Mike Dunham and Guy Hebert kinda scared.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I still pick Richter to win a game 7 every day.

Richter is a hard guy to rate. When he was in the zone, he was a brick wall. 1993-94. Then again in 1996-97, starting with the World Cup. But he was wildly inconsistent. It's what kept him out of the HHOF. He's remembered for his big-game reputation, but had some serious clunkers in the playoffs too.

AHB*

A cup and conn smythe would make it a definite

Lol, conn smythe?

Sure, would be nice, his number is going up regardless. If they win a cup with him as the backup, it'll be more then a lock.

If he wins the conn smythe, it's the hall of fame.

eKardz

Mar 22, 2009
Holtsville, NY
Hank should be in for sure, however this reminded me of someone else who should be in as a goalie, Tom Barrasso. He has a calder, vezina, jennings, 2 cups, and I think a silver medal in the 2002 olympics over 300 wins as well.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
ugh just thinking about life without Hank scares me.

Like Mike Dunham and Guy Hebert kinda scared.

Like Kirk McLean, Jason LaBarbera, and Johan Holmqvist scared?

I think about it all the time. Those were some days. Dan Blackburn gets a pass for being the most left out to dry with no mercy poorest goalie ever. Sandy McCarthy was the best player on our team for a little while (and given BS minutes each game).

Yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad