Value of: NMC contract to Leafs pre expansion draft

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ok I'll bite...who does Hartnell replace on the 3rd line? Marner or JVR?

The fact of the matter is we have 7 or 8 wingers better than Hartnell already in Toronto. He would be Robidas Island bound pretty quick.

1st off Marner and JVR were on the 2nd line

2nd even at his age Hartnell is still significantly better than Hyman

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ok I'll bite...who does Hartnell replace on the 3rd line? Marner or JVR?

The fact of the matter is we have 7 or 8 wingers better than Hartnell already in Toronto. He would be Robidas Island bound pretty quick.

He could potentially replace Hyman, Komarov or even JVR if moved.

52pts 2014
60 pts 2015
49 pts 2016
37 pts 2017

even if he is only a 35-40pt player at this point, he would be more than adequate to play 15 mins a night with this team.
keep in mind the leafs had no one injured last year. we are a JVR trade or injury away from hyman,komarov,martin,rychel at LW :cry:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The post above is correct. If Laich, Michalek, Greening were so good, they could have picked up by waivers by 29 other teams. And the Leafs would have given them away to any NHL team during the season, like they did with Panik a year earlier.
I acknowledge some veterans fears though about coming to the Leafs though. If you aren't playing up to the contract, the Leafs are one of few teams that will take the money hit and "bury you"

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Nope. I dont want to waste any capspace. We need all that we can get this summer. It's not time to be charitable and stockpile anything.

It's time to win. Winners get rid of their bad salaries, not accept them.

This 100%!

Leafs would be better off keeping the cap space to see what teams struggle early. Good players can always be had from dumb gms who panic.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Vets have seen what Leafs has done to veterans, I doubt anyone waive to get dumped in AHL...

Yeah, every one of those guys passed thru waivers before they went down. Twenty nine other NHL teams didn't want them either..

Rotten stinking Leafs!

Rotten stinking NHL!

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This 100%!

Leafs would be better off keeping the cap space to see what teams struggle early. Good players can always be had from dumb gms who panic.
do you mean struggle early into the season? Not that it doesn't happen but trades are rare early in the season. I would rather they use cap space in the off season. And I don't mean just waste it on someone.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
leafs apparently had a bigger deal with tampa to take filppula off their hands. the bolts ended up giving the flyers a 4th and 7th and taking back an overpaid mark streit to get his contract off the books.

so this shows the leafs are willing to take on some salary and possibly even a NMC to acquire additional assets. the player coming back would need to still be able to play though, not a Laich/Fayne/Michalek(either) buried in the AHL.

possible trade:

Columbus sends Scott Hartnell, Paul Bittner, 2nd rd pick in 2018 to the Leafs for Nikita Soshnikov (exp. draft exempt)

this is very similar to the winnik for laich,carrick and 2nd deal where the leafs ate a big contract, and gave up a serviceable bottom 6er to get a good prospect (now in the leafs top 6) and a 2nd (grundstrom).
Leafs get a guy a year off 49pts and 2 years removed from 60. they get a prospect that was picked early in the 2nd rd a couple years back and another pick as well. the leafs have never been afraid to flex their financial muscle and hartnells deal will be done when matthews and marner hit paydirt

Columbus can now protect Anderson, and jump from 2.9 to approx 7 mil cap space (enough to re-up wennberg,anderson,korpisalo etc)

what would your team offer to get rid of an unwanted player?

Where have you been, Halla?

That was during the demolition phase.

The foundation has been laid and building something new is now underway.

The time when we took our neighbours garbage for a few hundred bucks on the way to the dump are long gone.

The Leafs are looking for high quality players to improve at key positions now. Maybe they will find some on the trade or free agent markets. If not, they're already working on growing their own.

They need that cap space for better purposes now.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Doing this means we lose Carrick.. Our only legit RD after Zaitsev in the org for free...

The assets better be worth it.. A 2nd or 3rd means nothing to losing Carrick + taking back a cap dump + whatever we give up.

To me it comes down to
a) How good is the NMC player?
b) How long is the contract
c) Are they giving enough + to make it worth while.

a) Hartnel is good, and can easily play top 9 minutes on the wing. Even if they Leafs dont loose anyone else/ dont add anyone else he could (weirdly) become the 4th line winger replacing Sosh. Having a 4th line of Martin (ugh) - Boyle - Harts would be one of the best in the NHL. My hope would be put him with Bozak and Marner, trade JVR for D help/ good prospects.

b) The contract is 2 years and under 5 million. This fits perfectly for the Leafs who will need to resign Matthews and Marner right when his contract ends. Any contract over 2 years IMO is not tenable.

c) The+ is Paul Bittner and 2nd rd pick in 2018. Bittner was drafted with some good regrard and is still young but super struggled last year in the A. Not a horrible prospect, but Leafs would prefer a D or a C. Preference for me would be Kevin Stenlund who had a relatively good draft +1 year.

Now the last point for me, is what is the difference between what we add and what we loose. Deal only makes sense if we can move JVR around the same time for a D so we dont have to worry about losing another player OR if the return is enough to bribe VGK to take Marincin over Carrick. (I.e Marincin/Leivo plus a 3rd/4h instead of Carrick.)

In this scenario the deal ends up being for the Leafs:
Hartnel+Prospect+2nd in
Marincin+3rd+Soshnikov out and getting to still keep Carrick.

IMO that makes the team better next year, doesnt hurt the cap long term, and gives us a few other young pieces.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
...and the Leafs scored 2 more goals.
Do you expect another 16g streak?

Right, because winning games is just luck.

Do you expect another season with no injuries? (Which is where actual luck comes into play)

Guess when the leafs last had a 108 point season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad