Switzerland: NLA Talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Too bad he never translated his NLA game to NT :(

Yes and he retired to early from the NT in my opinion. If there is one black mark on his career it is definitely that he was always a bit to content with being the "Star Player" on a smaller marktet team.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland

NLA will allow 7 imports per game and unlimited imports on the roster from the 22/23 season onwards. Players with a Swiss license will be counted as Swiss players until the age of 22, if they don't have Swiss citizenship by then, they'll count as imports after.

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
How does national league regular series work? So everyone playes againts each other 4 times and thats 44 games. Where do the last 4 games come from?

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
How does national league regular series work? So everyone playes againts each other 4 times and thats 44 games. Where do the last 4 games come from?
There are regional groups with four teams each where they play the other six additional games for 50 rounds, which is the usual length of a Swiss regular season.

Group West: Genève-Servette HC, Lausanne HC, HC Fribourg-Gottéron, SC Bern.
Group Midlands: EHC Biel, SCL Tigers, EV Zug, ZSC Lions.
Group East: HC Ambri-Piotta, HC Lugano, HC Davos, SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers.

This year though, there's even 52 games, but that's just gimmicky bs as they try to make up for the cancellation of last years playoffs.

Last edited:

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
There are regional groups with four teams each where they play the other six additional games for 50 rounds, which is the usual length of a Swiss regular season.

Group West: Genève-Servette HC, Lausanne HC, HC Fribourg-Gottéron, SC Bern.
Group Midlands: EHC Biel, SCL Tigers, EV Zug, ZSC Lions.
Group East: HC Ambri-Piotta, HC Lugano, HC Davos, SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers.

This year though, there's even 52 games, but that's just gimmicky bs as they try to make up for the cancellation of last years playoffs.
yeah i guessed it was something like that. Liiga has like 2 extra local games for every club for example Ilves is gonna play 6 games againts tappara while rest are gonna play tappara 4 times. Just wish that these extra games didn't exist.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
yeah i guessed it was something like that. Liiga has like 2 extra local games for every club for example Ilves is gonna play 6 games againts tappara while rest are gonna play tappara 4 times. Just wish that these extra games didn't exist.
Yeah I was wondering about Liiga schedule as well and thought it must be something like this.
This year my team, Zurich, faced the SCL Tigers seven times (4 x regular, 2 x regional group and 1 x for the extra rounds). It's just too much. But maybe it's gonna be 13 teams next season (relegation is cancelled due to corona for two years, promotion still exists). So maybe from 22/23 on it's gonna be 14 teams and a more even schedule.

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
Yeah I was wondering about Liiga schedule as well and thought it must be something like this.
This year my team, Zurich, faced the SCL Tigers seven times (4 x regular, 2 x regional group and 1 x for the extra rounds). It's just too much. But maybe it's gonna be 13 teams next season (relegation is cancelled due to corona for two years, promotion still exists). So maybe from 22/23 on it's gonna be 14 teams and a more even schedule.
Liiga made the mistake of adding up to 15 teams +closing the league and that has made both Liiga and Mestis worse in the level of play. I think that 14 teams can work in swiss economic region as you can replace these NHL like conferences with 2 more teams.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Liiga made the mistake of adding up to 15 teams +closing the league and that has made both Liiga and Mestis worse in the level of play. I think that 14 teams can work in swiss economic region as you can replace these NHL like conferences with 2 more teams.
For now it is not sure if the league would continue with 14 teams. But it's a possible scenario that the NLA will follow Liiga's foot steps and close down at 14 teams. Even though most Swiss hockey fans heavily oppose it.

But those talks are part of a bigger reform the league is working on which could change a lot in Swiss hockey.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
So, the NLA has finally made its decisions regarding league reform. And it looks like the protest of the fans and the players had some impact.

Imports:
From now on, the number of imports allowed per game will be coupled to the number of teams in the league:
12 teams = 4 imports
13 teams = 5 imports
14 teams = 6 imports​

League size:
It looks as if the league is aiming for a 14 team league since relegation will only be played if there are 14 teams in the league. So it looks like next year there will be a promotion, but no relegation.

Swiss Licence:
Players with a Swiss licence (but no passport) from 2021/2022 or any season before will hold their status as "Swiss" players for the future and will not count as imports. Players who get their licence after that season will not be counted as imports until the age of 23, so they can apply for citizenship.

Financial Fairplay:
The teams agreed to a gentleman's agreement about a so-called 'financial fair play to reduce salary costs and even out the teams. No details have been communicated so far. Probably will not work out in the long run since it's against Swiss law.

Other:
The league will still make space in their schedule for the Spengler Cup until 2026.

source (in German)

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So, the NLA has finally made its decisions regarding league reform. And it looks like the protest of the fans and the players had some impact.

Imports:
From now on, the number of imports allowed per game will be coupled to the number of teams in the league:
12 teams = 4 imports​
13 teams = 5 imports​
14 teams = 6 imports​

League size:
It looks as if the league is aiming for a 14 team league since relegation will only be played if there are 14 teams in the league. So it looks like next year there will be a promotion, but no relegation.

Swiss Licence:
Players with a Swiss licence (but no passport) from 2021/2022 or any season before will hold their status as "Swiss" players for the future and will not count as imports. Players who get their licence after that season will not be counted as imports until the age of 23, so they can apply for citizenship.

Financial Fairplay:
The teams agreed to a gentleman's agreement about a so-called 'financial fair play to reduce salary costs and even out the teams. No details have been communicated so far. Probably will not work out in the long run since it's against Swiss law.

Other:
The league will still make space in their schedule for the Spengler Cup until 2026

source (in German)

Howcome only until 2026 for the Spengler Cup?

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Howcome only until 2026 for the Spengler Cup?
There are contracts between HC Davos (Host of the SC) and the other teams since the league is on hold during the tournament and the other teams are missing out on some of the potentially most profitable days of the year between Christmas and New Year. So HC Davos pays some kind of fee to the other teams to even it out. I guess they'll renegotiate it after 2026.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
There are contracts between HC Davos (Host of the SC) and the other teams since the league is on hold during the tournament and the other teams are missing out on some of the potentially most profitable days of the year between Christmas and New Year. So HC Davos pays some kind of fee to the other teams to even it out. I guess they'll renegotiate it after 2026.
Thanks, interesting to know. I didn't know how the logistics of the SC were worked out.

Swiss hockey outside of Swiss is like a blackhole, it's such a shame!

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Thanks, interesting to know. I didn't know how the logistics of the SC were worked out.

Swiss hockey outside of Swiss is like a blackhole, it's such a shame!
There are season passes now for people outside of Switzerland where they can watch the game, but I think without any commentary. Also Swiss Hockey News is doing a good job of covering Swiss hockey in English. But yes, it was very isolated for a long time.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
That's the most recent offer I've seen. It's currently still set to the 21/22 season, but I guess they'll update it before the next season starts. And even this offer is damn well hidden, it's as if they're actively trying to keep people from watching the NLA.
Crazy, all these years I never even know the NL has its OWN WEBSITE! What the hell! I also end up on the Swiss federation website and look around there.

Thanks though, I will keep that for the coming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad