NL Wild Card Game: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
A lot of things have to line up for the top 3 teams in baseball to come from one division. Of course it might happen again if the other NL divisions stay crappy but I wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

The thing is you don't need just 3 good teams, you also need 2 punching bags. The only other division that really has that is the NL East but they barely have 1 good team. NL West in unlikely as I doubt the Padres, D-Backs, or Rockies get good enough for a while. AL is a possibility as that division is a dog fight always but they usually cancel each other out to a degree. AL West has generally good teams but no one great. AL Central is similar in that some teams have promise but not elite other than KC. If White Sox and Tigers go full rebuild or something and Indians + Twins really step it up there is a possibility.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Well this is coming true on Oct 21st(the day in 2015 Doc and Marty go into the future)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9460511/pepsi-perfect-back-to-the-future-bottle :yo:

pepsi-perfect-bottle.0.jpg

Yup heard about that...I know this is getting off-topic but they also released an 'official' Jaws 19 trailer too.

S A W F T*

I feel like the Cubs/Pirates game tomorrow is going to have a lot more intensity than this crappy Astros/Yankees game.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I feel like the Cubs/Pirates game tomorrow is going to have a lot more intensity than this crappy Astros/Yankees game.

Will it have more than 0 intensity? If so I agree

Can't wait should be a great game. I think both Cards/Pirates and Cards/Cubs will be a complete toss-up, and whoever emerges from that series will go the distance

S A W F T*

Will it have more than 0 intensity? If so I agree

Can't wait should be a great game. I think both Cards/Pirates and Cards/Cubs will be a complete toss-up, and whoever emerges from that series will go the distance

Haha.

I'm ****ing nervous.

Kinda weird finally being excited about the Cubs in the postseason again.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Haha.

I'm ****ing nervous.

Kinda weird finally being excited about the Cubs in the postseason again.

Have they constructed a big fence around the perimeter of the playing field at Wrigley yet? In case any spectators get too enthusiastic?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Rooting for the Cubs but if the Pirates win, I won't shed any tears. Kinda do want to see the Cubs win the world series this year though.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
4-1 Cubs

Arrieta gives up an early run but allows 3 hits all game, and finishes it with a complete game. Schwarber with a huge 2 run blast late to seal it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Cubs roster:

Pitchers
Kyle Kendricks
Clayton Richard
Jon Lester
Travis Wood
Pedro Strop
Jake Arietta
Justin Grimm
Trevor Cahill
Hector Rendon
Fernando Rodney

Catchers
David Ross
Miguel Montero

Infielders
Javier Baez
Addison Russell
Tommy La Stella
Starlin Castro
Anthony Rizzo
Kris Bryant
Quintin Berry

Outfielders
Jorge Soler
Kyle Schwarber
Austin Jackson
Chris Coghlan
Chris Denorfia
Dexter Fowler

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Pirates roster
Pitchers
Gerrit Cole
Fransisco Liriano
Antonio Bastardo
Joe Blanton
Arquimedes Caminero
Jared Hughes
Mark Melancon
Joakim Soria
Tony Watson

Catchers
Francisco Cervelli
Chris Stewart
Elias Diaz

Infielders
Pedro Alvarez
Pedro Florimon
Josh Harrison
Jordy Mercer
Aramis Ramirez
Michael Morse
Sean Rodriguez
Neil Walker

outfielders
Starling Marte
Andrew McCutchen
Travis Snider
Gregory Polanco
Keon Broxton

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Lester could if the game goes well into extra innings.

He could. I'd put that in the game gone wrong category though. Astros minus Sipp and Harris yesterday is formula. If the Pirates can see anyone besides the starter and closer tonight, I like their chances.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No Alvarez...

I am taking the Cubs. Arrieta is on a historic run right now and I don't see that Pirates lineup ending it.

Pedro is 2-for-17 against Arrieta in his career and can't field to save his life, there was never a chance he was going to start this game.

Rodriguez over Morse, however, is the single dumbest thing a manager could possibly do...gotta have that .642 OPS at first base in a playoff game...just...wow. He's never even faced Arrieta in his career...

Cervelli catching Cole is going to be interesting to follow.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
No Alvarez...

I am taking the Cubs. Arrieta is on a historic run right now and I don't see that Pirates lineup ending it.
Arrieta is not second coming of Martinez, it's time to put end on that run. Rodriguez as a starter against the best pitcher in last few months seems pretty strange.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Arrieta has allowed 4 earned runs in just short of his last 90 innings...that is historic no matter what you think of him overall. He's as hot as any pitcher has ever been.

The thing that people seem to be forgetting is that the guy on the other side has been a top 5-6 pitcher in baseball all season himself.

Now watch as this game ends up 8-7 with home runs by La Stella & Serpico.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad