NL Wild Card Game: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Chicago Cubs

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Damn shame somebody has to lose this. Both would be the cream of the crop in Baseball in any other year.

Give me the Pirates. Chicago has some learning to do yet imo.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
As a cardinals fan I think it would be cool to see a cards vs cubs NLDS but I think the cubs would win that series. The Cubs have such an advantage at wrigley.

S A W F T*

As a cardinals fan I think it would be cool to see a cards vs cubs NLDS but I think the cubs would win that series. The Cubs have such an advantage at wrigley.

They had an advantage everywhere.

Home Record: 49-32
Road Record: 48-33

Almost identical.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Still fuming about this idiotic lay-out that screws the 3 best teams in the NL...grrr...

Pumped doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling...it'd be pretty amazing to see Arrieta pull a Cueto.

S A W F T*

Still fuming about this idiotic lay-out that screws the 3 best teams in the NL...grrr...

Pumped doesn't begin to describe what I'm feeling...it'd be pretty amazing to see Arrieta pull a Cueto.

3 best teams in entire MLB, record wise. Which is crazy.

Has that ever happened before that the 3 best record in baseball came from the same division?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Just think if this was pre-wild card only the Cards would be playing. (assuming same division lineup as pre-wild card days)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just think if this was pre-wild card only the Cards would be playing. (assuming same division lineup as pre-wild card days)

Actually in either scenario the Pirates would be in, one WC or two divisions (Pirates were NL East...still should be NL East, but Bud Selig apparently didn't believe in maps).

Every single one of these teams is getting screwed in some great way...at least for the Cubs they're in the air quotes "playoffs" in this scenario, unlike previous ones, but even then winning 97 games only to get to go on the road for a one game play-in is a disgrace.

The Cardinals reward for being the best team in baseball all year is getting either the 2nd or 3rd best team in baseball in a friggin' 5 game series.

Shorten the season, extend the playoffs. The play-in being anything less than a best of 3 is unacceptable, and I've been on the case of extending the Divisional Series to best of 7 for as long as it's existed.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
The Cubs would not even be in the postseason without the 2nd wildcard, which is even crazier than the new postseason format screwing the the NL Central. Maybe it has screwed the Pirates this particular season but MLB can't go changing formats yet again, especially over a situation that might not happen again for awhile.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Cubs would not even be in the postseason without the 2nd wildcard, which is even crazier than the new postseason format screwing the the NL Central. Maybe it has screwed the Pirates this particular season but MLB can't go changing formats yet again, especially over a situation that might not happen again for awhile.

Or it might happen for the next 2-3 years with that division. Cards aren't exactly in a decline. Pittsburgh's window is now and the Cubs are just getting started. Poor Reds & Brewers. They've got no shot for the next 5 years. Not that they're good or anything but still...

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
I see no smilies so I'm going to assume you are serious.

It's a reference to Back to the Future Part II

Well this is coming true on Oct 21st(the day in 2015 Doc and Marty go into the future)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9460511/pepsi-perfect-back-to-the-future-bottle :yo:

pepsi-perfect-bottle.0.jpg

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Or it might happen for the next 2-3 years with that division. Cards aren't exactly in a decline. Pittsburgh's window is now and the Cubs are just getting started. Poor Reds & Brewers. They've got no shot for the next 5 years. Not that they're good or anything but still...
A lot of things have to line up for the top 3 teams in baseball to come from one division. Of course it might happen again if the other NL divisions stay crappy but I wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad