Troy Terry

Offensive zone ability: C+
Offensive transition ability: B-
Puck movement and possession retention: C+
Defensive transition ability: B-
Defensive zone ability: C+

Defense: positional
Offense: mixed

Keywords, unique identity traits: a thin 5'11 center prospect, produces through skating, smarts and compete level, committed to being a 3 zone player, OK skill-level, plays with jump some puck-hound qualities
Room for improvement: needs to fill out considerably just to have a chance to make it in any capacity, might be better off at wing regardless, size limits him in possession and puck-protection plays, almost exclusively reliant on mix of skating/smarts/vision

Full analysis:
Troy Terry is a very thin 5'11 center prospect. Has good mobility and moves his feet well. Consistently involved through his skating and compete level. Skill level is actually decent, can handle the puck and make plays. Committed to being a player in all three zones. Will physically engage despite smaller size. The concern is obviously that he might not have top 6 qualities yet at the same time he is quite undersized. Like his motor and willingness to get dirty despite his thin frame. If he fills out, he could start looking quite a bit more projectable as a 3rd line buzzsaw that can make a couple of plays through speed, break-downs and smarts.

In the offensive zone Terry mostly relies on his jump and game processor. Has some decent skills and vision which allows him to make quick plays with the puck before he gets physically overmatched. Will go to the dirty areas despite modest size and competes well. Outside of that, he clearly needs to fill out so he can start adding some cycle and possession elements to his game where he can protect the puck a bit better.

Through transition, he has pretty good skating ability. Mindful of supporting his defensemen as a center, is open for an easy pass on the break-out. Can pick up pace and skate with the puck, capable of moving the puck through the neutral zone.

In defensive transition, he is pretty decent. Moves his feet and reads the play well. Angles as required and will keep decent gaps and coverage. I could also see him moved to wing - his skating and competitiveness would look decent in a puck-hound role on the wing if he never fills out.

In his own zone, he is positionally solid and will compete. But, size is clearly a factor here for him as a center in his own zone. It would be fair to say that he is quite thin at this point in time and that brings up some questions going forward whether he can fulfil that role where he will have to battle bigger forwards down-low. If he fills out, the physical engagement and the compete level is certainly there. If he does not fill out, or struggles with a smaller frame, a transition to wing might be more likely.

Overall, I like Terry as a player that is committed in all three zones, moves his feet, has some skill and can make some quick plays through his vision in the offensive zone. Is willing to play bigger than his size and looks to get involved around the net and in traffic, doesn't shy away from that. His lack of size might mean that he would look better on the wing as a bit of a buzzsaw type puck-hound that can maybe log some PK minutes.

Development focus: I think Terry most definitely needs to fill out his frame to have a chance. That would also aid with puck-posession down low as well as in defensive situations. Right now he relies almost exclusively on a smarts and willingness to get involved mix with not much sustained puck-possession.

Projection: For Terry to remain a center he will definitely need to fill out, still has the qualities to be a bottom 6 buzzsaw wing that moves well, and operates through smarts and compete level. Could log some PK minutes.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Stephen Desrocher

Puck movement and possession retention: B-
Defensive transition ability: B
Defensive zone ability: B

Offense: cerebral

Keywords, unique identity traits: a pro-sized 6'4 defenseman with decent mobility, gains inside body position, active long stick and tracks play decently, can make the first pass and has a decent point shot
Room for improvement: probably will never be confused for someone who is very skilled with the puck, is already 19 years old and had a really sharp development trajectory, needs to build on that and not fall-off back into mediocrity

Full analysis:
Stephen Desrocher is a pro-sized 6'4 200lbs defenseman. He is a year older (turned 19 in January), that said he had a sharp upwards development trajectory throughout the year to the point that he is now one of the top defensemen playing for Oshawa in Memorial Cup. Has decent mobility with his size. The reads are all there in terms of coverage, positional sense. Reads well what his partner is doing, how a particular play is developing and where he has to be. Good at gaining inside body position against the opposition, can be a factor on the wall and in front of the net. Controls the middle of the ice well both in his own zone, as well as in defensive transition. Long active stick in terms of covering lanes and protecting space, but also pokechecks well. Competes well. Mobile enough that he can contribute on puck-retrievals off dump-ins and even protects the puck decently well when skating with it. Has a decent shot from the point.

In the offensive zone, Desrocher can be a shot threat off the point. Capable enough that he can move the puck around in a basic manner. Has the size to be a factor up the wall. Mobility is good enough that he can keep up with turnovers and establish position to defend on-coming rushes.

Through transition, despite being a pretty big guy he does show some ability in skating with the puck and handling it. Pretty smart and accurate passer, but won't neceessarily try anything too flashy. Sometimes joins the rush if the play is there, but won't force it. I do think the first few steps and the pace at which he executes in tight spaces could be slightly faster, but that will likely come as he grows even more comfortable with his body.

In defensive transition he has decent mobility for his size. I like his reads, understands how to control the middle of the ice, active stick and gap control. Hard to beat wide, and he has a good pokecheck. Mobility is good enough that he can do puck-retrievals on dump-ins and not get pinned down, beat to the puck, or lose possession.

In his own zone, he competes well and will look to gain inside body position. Hard to beat physically and can be a factor on the wall and around the net. Active stick and good reach that covers lanes. Reads the play well, will re-adjust coverage as play is developing and reads what his partner or linemates are doing. Rarely caught in no-man's land positionally.

Overall, I like Desrocher quite a bit. He is a 19 year old so that will probably impact his draft status a bit. But he has really developed into a projectable prospect as the season went on. I quite like him as a defensive defenseman that can maybe contribute even offensively a little bit. Shows some outlines of even having two-way ability. Pro-size, skating is decent, good positional player, defends the middle of ice, physically engaging, active long stick and pokecheck ability. Can move the puck a bit and has a decent point shot. Could log PK minutes.

Development focus: I'd say for Desrocher he needs to build on this season's development and keep his trajectory facing firmly upwards. I think there's probably more to be done with physical fitness and the pace at which he executes in tight spaces in moving the puck.

Projection: If his development trajectory continues, I don't think it would be out of question that Desrocher could play 3rd pairing NHL minutes as a two-way/defensive defenseman with size, mobility, decent puck-decisions, point shot, active defensive stick and solid positional sense, along with a bit of physicality. He is already 19 and came relatively out of nowhere, so there's probably some caution needed there, but if the steepness of his trajectory continues I would think that his potential might be even higher than 3rd pairing. Could log PK minutes.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
David Kase

Offensive zone ability: B-

Keywords, unique identity traits: a competitive undersized winger (although has lined up at C as well in my viewings), decent skill level, committed as a two-way player, plays bigger than size, well-schooled in "doing the right thing" consistently
Room for improvement: very undersized, questionable whether he has top 6 skill or the qualities to play in a limited minutes checking role

Full analysis:
David Kase is an undersized forward (played both W as well as C in my viewings) that competes well, keeps his feet moving, has a decent skill level and is willing to play bigger than his size. Supports the puck well, skating ability is decent, good in tight spaces, top-speed is not an issue but not sure if he has pull-away gear. Smart player off-the-puck, both in cerebral reads of developing plays or in more aggressive engagement as a forechecker. Good anticipation. Active snappy stick but not much reach. Will engage physically despite being quite undersized.

In the offensive zone Kase has good instincts both with and without the puck. Can make plays, and skill level is decent but not too high for a guy his size. Jumps into holes well and will look for shot. Can get involved down low and in traffic. Size is an issue in terms of protecting the puck and doesn't necessarily have the elusiveness to avoid contact altogether. Good vision with the puck and is capable of finding an open man.

Through transition he supports his team's effort in the defensive zone. Will be available for a pass. Can pick up speed and skate with the puck. Supports the play well overall. No issues with skating, but not sold on his pull-away speed as a smaller skill guy. Not sure if there is enough of that gear to be a factor off-the-rush or in pushing defenses back.

In defensive transition, he has good reads. As a forechecker he can settle either in more of a puck-hound aggressive hard on the puck role, or when he played center he was quite decent at more cerebral reads in a role where he stands back a bit before the first wave of the forecheck. Stick is active and he will engage physically if he can get the body on someone. At 5'9 not much of reach and control of space.

In his own zone, he tracks well and is diligent in supporting his defensemen. Helps out on the wall, stick is active and can obtain possession through aggressive stick work. Willing to physically engage but obviously he is quite small overall both in thickness of frame as well as height. I think probably going forward, he's a full-time winger.

Overall, I like Kase as a smaller competitive winger. Has decent skill, can make some plays with the puck and decent vision. Skating is good but not elite. Willing to play in traffic and physically engage. Competitive in all three zones. Will need to fill out, if he grows a bit, I don't think it would be unreasonable to think of him as a middle six winger, but he's got a long way to go.

Development focus: Kase really needs to fill out. Has a solid overall game but it's questionable whether there is a skill of his that would project him into a top 6 role. And his size right now is an issue for a limited minutes checking role.

Projection: I'd project Kase as having the potential to be an engaging middle six winger, that competes well, plays bigger than his size, has a decent skill level and can skate and has the vision to make offensive plays. Is really undersized right now though. Questionable whether his package is good enough for top 6 and he might not have the size to play a limited minutes checking role.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
John Dahlstrom

Offensive transition ability: C+
Defensive transition ability: C+

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid sized wing with decent mobility and hands, has scoring instincts and timing of a scorer
Room for improvement: needs to improve as a possession player, some forechecking decisions are a bit odd at times, bland defensively off-the-puck, could be more involved through transition in getting open and supporting the puck

Full analysis:
John Dahlstrom is a mid-sized wing with good speed and a nose for the net, especially from in-close. Pretty big project in terms of where he has to be to become more of a factor on a shift-to-shift basis, but I think there is enough there with his size, mobility, reads, and offensive instincts that he's worth taking a look at. He's a player that I think is just in the process of putting it together. Inconsistent in my viewings in his shift-to-shift engagement level. Has the toolset to be a scoring winger and a smart player that can also be a factor on the forecheck, but the consistency is questionable in some of those aspects. Prone to stop moving his feet in his own zone. Not always engaged on the forecheck, and doesn't always look to get himself open hard enough through transition. Has a pretty good hand-eye coordination when he engages and seems to have the ability to get his stick on pucks and win them.

In the offensive zone it's mostly pure instincts for Dahlstrom. He has a pretty good sense of where the puck is going to be in the scoring areas and can get involved as a scorer. As far as sustaining zone time and puck protection there is a lot of room for improvement. I think he has OK vision but he's pretty much a forward that relies purely on his timing and scoring instincts in the offensive zone right now.

Through transition, he has decent speed and skating ability. Would have liked to see him support the puck better and aid his team a bit more in getting out of the zone and through the neutral zone. Sometimes gets ahead of the play or appears too lax in terms of supporting the puck. Would like to see him put more effort into getting open for an easy pass and being involved in the play.

As a forechecker, he's more of a mixed bag. Mobility is there, he does look to utilize his stick and he's decent at gaining possession and getting his stick on the puck if there's a scrum. I think there's still room for improvement in his routes and the angles he takes. Makes some odd decisions that leave him flat-footed in the middle of ice with the play going around him the other way, which requires a pretty big back-checking effort just to not leave his team outnumbered in his own zone.

In his own zone, he is positionally solid and can read the play. How engaging he is, varies on a shift-by-shift basis. I'd like to see a bigger compete level, more willingness to move his feet and being involved on a consistent basis. Right now he doesn't bring any added value to his team defensively.

Overall, while Dahlstrom has several things to improve on I do like his ability to get involved as a scoring threat. Has OK skill level and skating, and what sells him as a prospect are really his scoring instincts and timing. I do think he has a long way to go though and he's a pretty big project at this point in time.

Development focus: For Dahlstrom, I'd say he has several areas to work on. Needs to improve puck-possession and extending zone time for his team. Could be more effective in his angles as a forechecker. And could also move his feet more in his own zone and try to be a bit more engaging. Also needs to be more interested in getting open and in aiding the transition out of his zone and through neutral zone.

Projection: A pretty long-shot pick, it would be early to say where Dahlstrom projects as far as slots go. But he has decent mobility, skill level, and those scoring instincts and nose for the net to build upon.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Vyacheslav Leschenko

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid sized wing with an agitating presence, plays bigger than his size, can get involved in traffic and will engage in puck battles, good scoring instincts
Room for improvement: he is "already" 20 years old, so it's questionable whether the overall package is good enough for an NHL role, but I think there's enough pro-qualities there that he can be thought of as a legit prospect

Full analysis:
Vyacheslav Leschenko is a winger (although listed at 5'11 163lbs on EP, you would have never guessed he is that light, if that is truly his correct weight) that plays like an agitating scorer. Pretty good compete level, engages both with and without the puck. Definitely plays bigger than his size. Actively looks to go into scoring areas and into traffic and looks to cause havoc. Willing to be an agitating presence and will be a factor around the net and in scrums. Competes defensively as well. Has the ability to read the play and is pretty good at jumping into holes with his release. Will throw his body around a bit and has an active stick off-the-puck.

In the offensive zone Leschenko plays quite bigger than his size would suggest. Is good at playing in traffic and around the net, has that vision to find open holes and get his shot off. Despite being listed at a modest size he has decent wall ability and can retain possession of the pucks through his body positioning. Is a bit of an agitating presence and can play that role a bit, will get involved in scrums, pushes and shoves in battles.

Through transition he will support the puck and has decent reads. Speed isn't elite, but he is capable of being a factor off-the-rush. Much like in the offensive zone, his timing and anticipation is quite good. He looks for those opportunities where you will find him with a scoring chance on his stick after exploding out of nowhere.

In defensive transition. He has an active stick and is willing to lay the body a little bit. If the opposition coughs up the puck, he is more than willing to get physically involved in battling for loose pucks. And he has good ability to contribute off broken plays.

In his own zone, positionally solid and reads the play well. Isn't passive, but will engage if there's a battle to be had nearby. Has an active stick and will also engage in physical battles. I like his compete level in his own zone and I think he has the type of qualities that are required to be a player on a pro-level.

Overall, I like Leschenko as someone who can fulfil a skilled winger role that competes well and has a bit of a agitating presence to his game. He isn't the biggest guy but competes well, moves decently, and can get involved in traffic and on the wall. Good in puck-battles. And has scoring instincts and the ability to score. I think he probably projects to a 3rd line role if he does make it.

Development focus: For Leschenko, he to me already appears to be bigger than what he is listed at. But if that is his true weight, then obviously filling out would help even more. I quite like his game overall, but he is already 20 years old. I think he has pro-qualities to the point that I don't see a big hole in his game, more a question of whether his package is enough for an NHL role or a future in Europe

Projection: If he does make it to the NHL, I'd suspect Leschenko is someone who can fulfil a skilled winger role with a bit of an agitating presence on the 3rd line.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
How many games have you seen Zacha play? Pretty curious because I'm pretty high on him and everyone on the message boards seems to think Barzal would be the best pick at 6th overall to the Devils. I see Zacha as a poor mans Ovechkin at this point and Barzal as Gomez 2.0. I also fell like Zacha has a significantly higher sealing and higher floor than Barzal.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I don't really count, but for Zacha I think it's in the 7-10 range, that's probably where I'm at for most top picks.

I think Barzal is almost certainly going to be a 2nd line center at worst where I could see Zacha being a 2nd or 3rd line wing as more of a floor projection. I do think Zacha has the higher upside though, it's just a bit more up in the air as to where he will fall on that scale, where with Barzal barring anything catastrophic I pretty much think it's between a #2 C or a #1 C. What I'm not sure about with Barzal is whether he is the guy that is capable of going up against the league's premier centers and win some of those match-ups. I think there's a legit chance that his upside is more of a middle of the road #1 C or a #2 on a Cup contender level team.

Where I can see Zacha's upside being a #1 C in the Eric Staal vein that you can be comfortable in throwing out against a Toews or a Kopitar or a Getzlaf. The problem is that it's a projection more based on his tools that lack a consistent output that would point to that level.

The concern I have with Zacha is that a team will be too trigger happy into pencilling him into specific NHL slots just because he is physically at that level and that his development might stagnate or not go the way it should because of it. I think he's the type of guy that you have to be careful about in not pigeon-holing him right away as a 2nd line wing just because he can contribute ,without being mindful of his development as someone that could be a key player with proper development.

I think given his tools and the moments where you see outlines of that elite ability, there are shifts that Zacha has that I don't think anyone in this draft can do aside from McDavid and Eichel. But that's not a consistent thing, he has equally questionable decisions once in a while that point more to a physical winger with an elite shot with just an OK game-processor (which is still pretty good but obviously a step down from a franchise piece up front), so I think you have to be careful that you're doing the right thing to bring that out on a more consistent level as opposed to just throwing him out and saying well he can contribute, he has the physical tools, and he does that magical thing once in a while. I would hope the team that drafts him views him as someone that yes he is physically mature and competitive and all that, but that they're looking to develop him into a key player down the road as opposed to getting him immediately pigeon-holed into a set role just because he can make an immediate contribution in it.

With Barzal... Here's the thing with Barzal. Barzal is obviously more of a mid-sized guy, but the thing is Barzal is just about as classic of a playmaking center as you can get. If there's a team that needs a classic center to hitch their offensive wagon to, well Barzal is about as close as a fit you can get. And I think there's just about zero chance that he isn't at least a 2nd line center. So I understand why NJ fans would want him, it's a match-made in heaven as far as the fit goes. I am doing my list in vacuum with no team needs, but if I'm NJ I would have no problem taking Barzal at their pick. You can think of the worst case scenario that he isn't maybe quite as good as the league's best #1 centers but that he is capable enough that you can build the team around him a bit stronger and support him a bit more to the point that you can win the Cup with him in that role. If they are definitely going with a forward and if McDavid/Eichel/Strome/Marner are not there, then Barzal is probably the next best fit.

For me it would be between Zacha and Barzal. And Barzal has probably a "narrower" return than Zacha does, which is from a classic playmaking #2C to a classic playmaking #1C. Where's Zacha's return might range anywhere from a big #1 C in the prime Eric Staal vein to a #1 W, to a #2C/2nd line wing. I do think Zacha will almost surely be a 2nd line wing at worst. But that's probably a wider span than what Barzal has, and the low end might not be as alluring to a team that desperately needs a key piece up the middle.

Last edited:

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks for that very good and detailed answer! I would be happy with either but one thing that scares me as a devils fan would be a rival team like the flyers picking Zacha up and having him reach his full potential as a player. Seeing him score big goals and hammer devils players against the boards for years to come would make me sick! I almost would want to pick him just so the flyers couldn't. I could see the devils easily picking either player or Marner if he falls. It should be a very interesting draft. If you don't mind me asking who is your favorite team and who do you want to see them draft?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for that very good and detailed answer! I would be happy with either but one thing that scares me as a devils fan would be a rival team like the flyers picking Zacha up and having him reach his full potential as a player. Seeing him score big goals and hammer devils players against the boards for years to come would make me sick! I almost would want to pick him just so the flyers couldn't. I could see the devils easily picking either player or Marner if he falls. It should be a very interesting draft. If you don't mind me asking who is your favorite team and who do you want to see them draft?

The Kings. I'm secretly hoping they trade up for Zacha, but if not I think Konecny would be great.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Brad Morrison

Defensive zone ability: C

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid sized C/W, high skill level, creativity, and vision. Effortless fluid stride.
Room for improvement: needs to apply himself a bit more consistently as a shift-by-shift presence on the ice, frame needs to fill out quite a bit, decent positionally but not very engaging defensively

Full analysis:
Brad Morrison is a mid-sized center (although capable of playing wing as well) prospect. He does look a bit thin at the moment and doesn't appear particularly physically strong, so he will have to fill out a bit going forward. He has a very high skill level with the puck, creativity to think up and try various skill plays whether they are moves with the puck or passes, and is a very fluid and effortless skater. Good shot and can be a scorer as well. Has decent hockey IQ, although I think his game has room to be polished out, which in my opinion is the reason why despite an apparently high skill level his numbers this season were not amazing. Creates mostly through speed differentials, his hands, and his vision/creativity. Not a bull but will go into traffic enough that it projects well to the pro-game. I think where the room for improvement stems from is in turning that toolset into a more pro-style game where he would be involved more on a consistent shift-by-shift basis even if it's not that flashy.

As mentioned, as an offensive producer, i think Morrison has both the hands, the creativity and the mobility to be a factor. A lot of the times he will use his skating and hands to dart through or around a player and quickly come up with a scoring chance. Has good vision and while he tracks the play just fine, I think there could maybe be a bit more of a conscious effort at both getting open as well as supporting the puck, without necessarily doing anything flashy. I don't think it's much of a compete level issue, I think it's a mentality shift where he right now is probably more comfortable in utilizing his high skill level to dart in and out of the game and not really be a dominant presence in the middle of the ice. So I think he'd benefit by that shift where he'd look to get more consistently involved in a basic, simple level with supporting the puck and maybe focus on making a couple of basic simple passes that are beneficial to the team's effort.

Coming out of his zone I think his puck support is average, he isn't someone that ignores his duties on the break-out or looks to be offense only, so I'm not too worried about that. Once you give him the puck through the neutral zone he obviously has the hands, the speed, and the vision to hurt you. What I do think he could change, is that he could probably dedicate a bit more of a conscious effort in utilizing that skill and speed to bring the puck up the ice, gain entry, delay a bit and then pass it off for continued possession of his team with all 5 players in the offensive zone. I think he should be capable of making a couple of basic give-and-go's that extend possession in the offensive zone or aid the transition game on a more consistent basis.

In defensive transition, I think he could allow himself to be a bit more aggressive with his skating in closing down and steering the play to the outside. Has good reads and there isn't anything lacking there with his positional sense, but he is more of a cerebral player than someone who would be a puck-hound. If he stays at center obviously that's not that big of a deal, but I think if he's the first guy on the forecheck or the winger, he would probably be aided by adding a bit more snarl to his puck-pursuit. That would also give him more developmental outs as to what he could be and where he could be utilized going forward.

In his own zone, again as far as hockey IQ qualities go, I don't have an issue with his reads or positioning. But it's fair to say that he doesn't look anything more than average right now. Tracks the play fine and will pay attention to coverage, but he's not very aggressive or stingy, not very strong on the wall or in front of the net, and doesn't have high-end defensive stick ability. I think some of that could be brought up to a higher level going forward.

Overall, I like Morrison as someone who has the skill, the skating, the vision, and the creativity to be a legit prospect. I think he's probably a better fit on the top two lines as a projection, but some teams that favor speed or don't mind using primarily a skill player could also utilize him in a 3rd line role as he is decently smart not just skilled. Has PP qualities. Not sure whether he's a top 2 center at the NHL level, but he has shown some ability in playing wing as well.

Development focus: I think for Morrison, filling out would be one thing. Secondly I do think he could utilize his toolset a bit better to be a shift-by-shift factor all over the ice as opposed to a forward that weaves in and out of the game with those skilled quick strikes. I think at least at the junior level, he would probably benefit by starting to think of himself as someone who should bring consistent positive value to his team by being a presence at all times and in all situations, not just a quick strike skill contributor. Which will probably come when he slightly simplifies his game.

Projection: I think Morrison is probably best fitted to play as a top 6 C/W. I'm not sure that it is realistic to expect him to be a top 6 center at the NHL level, so a transition to wing might be more likely. Has PP qualities. Also some teams who don't mind using speed and skill might still project him to a 3rd line type of role as he is decently smart.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Sebastian Aho (SWE, D)

Offensive transition ability: B

Keywords, unique identity traits: a slightly undersized puck-moving defenseman, willing to play bigger than size, executes well under pressure, good reads, excels in break-outs and transition
Room for improvement: needs to fill out, doesn't have elite skating to offset lack of size, not a huge offensive threat

Full analysis:
Sebastian Aho is a somewhat undersized defenseman that excels in puck-moving aspects. He is a really solid puck-mover both with the puck on his stick as well as in passing. Has good reads with and without the puck, capable of playing under pressure. Plays bigger than his size and is willing to absorb physical contact to make plays. Decent at protecting the puck, despite his modest size. Has decent but not high-end mobility, not a huge offensive threat from the point, and can sometimes struggle in defending against bigger forwards who have big reach and turn their back against him. The question mark with Aho is basically whether he has enough of a stand-out quality, or an asset that would make him into an NHL defenseman. The puck-moving qualities are all there, but for his size, he is not an amazing skater nor a dangerous weapon on the point nor a particularly amazing rover. So that leaves his NHL future a bit more up in the air. He's also been passed over once, so he's a year older.

In the offensive zone, he'd probably benefit by being a bit more of a shot threat. He's decent at getting his shot on net but didn't really get the feeling that he has the assets to be an offensive defenseman. Good at moving the puck around and has good reads with and without the puck. Competes well on the wall and will sometimes get involved a bit further up in the offensive zone. Not much of risk in his game, solid puck-decisions. Has PP qualities in terms of puck-movement.

Starting the transition is probably his best asset. He is capable of delays, executes under pressure. Has good vision in finding people open, can both skate with the puck as well as play a simple passing game. Confident in puck-movement. Not much of a rover but makes heady decisions that move the play forward.

In defensive transition, he has decent mobility. Not lacking, but at his size the reach isn't huge nor does he have much ability to clear someone out physically, although he is more than willing to engage when required. Positionally solid, can retrieve dump-ins. Would be aided if he was an elite skater at his size.

In his own zone, he competes well for a smaller defenseman. Will engage physically, at the wall as well as in protecting the net. Questionable how effective it is, but the will is there. Will absorb hits to battle for loose pucks. Positional sense is there. Can be problematic if a bigger forward turns the back against him as he struggles to get any traction. Won't miss assignment positionally, but this can make him too easy to be hemmed into his own zone for an extended amount of time.

Overall, I see Aho as having the potential to be a 3rd pairing puck-mover. A bit undersized, competes well, decent hockey IQ, and really solid in puck-movement aspects without necessarily being a huge offensive threat. I think he does have some PP qualities, although that would probably be 2nd unit minutes. Not sure whether he has enough assets to offset the small-ish frame. Without it, it's hard to project him any higher than having potential for 3rd pairing minutes.

Development focus: Would benefit by filling out. If he could develop even more speed that would also be beneficial. Basically would need to add any tool, whether it is elite skating, physical fitness, or a bigger offensive threat, to project as anything more than a depth puck-mover at the NHL level.

Projection: If he does make it, I see Aho as a 3rd pairing slightly undersized puck-mover that might see some 2nd PP unit time. Competes well and plays bigger than size, skating is decent for his size but not elite. Executes under pressure and good head for the game, but not a huge threat offensively.

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Erik Foley

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid-sized wing, scoring instincts and release, engaging in offensive zone, skating ability and can handle the puck at top speed, good skill-level
Room for improvement: could improve in some off-the-puck defensive aspects, defensive intensity level is not the same as offensive intensity, could use his stick more to cover lanes in his own zone, needs to fill out

Full analysis:
Erik Foley is a mid-sized (should fill out) winger that plays at a high pace both in his thinking capacity as well as skating/compete level. Keeps his head up and tracks the play in all zones anticipating the next play. Skating ability is there. Loves to get involved deep in the offensive zone, active stick on the wall, digs for pucks. Has decent hands and ability to cut and throw off checkers. Willing to go to the net. Quick release and looks for openings to get his shot off. Has the ability to move his feet and handle the puck at the same time which makes it hard to stop him. Scoring instincts. Defense is a bit raw. Positionally aware, but intensity level differs from offensive zone to neutral zone and his own zone. Not deficient but more room in being an active presence in neutral zone and involved with his stick and control of space.

In the offensive zone Foley both reads the play at a high pace but also executes with a pretty nice motor. Is a high tempo player. Can get involved from the dots to below the goal-line, digs out loose pucks, and looks to create in that area. Compete level and intensity of play is high there, won't destroy people with hits, but looks to get consistently involved by jumping on pucks and getting open for his shot. Has good skill level, agility with cuts and can buy time for his team. Capable of extending zone time and maintaining posession, not a one and done player. Has scoring instincts and quick release.

Through transition, he has good speed. Has the ability to both move his feet and stickhandle at the same time. Lateral agility with crossovers and can change angles of attack. Does his job as a winger well in bringing the puck up the ice and gaining entry. His shot and skating ability should allow for some off-the-rush scoring chances.

In defensive transition he is quite engaged if the opposition hasn't established full control. Will get involved from the faceoff dots up to below the goal-line area, and attacks loose pucks there. In the neutral zone, he is positionally aware and tracks the play but could stand to be a bit more engaging and with a more active stick. Backchecking is a work in progress, won't ignore assignments but intensity is not the same as in other areas.

In his own zone, he plays his position and won't pre-maturely exit the zone. Will compete if there's a battle. Stick is not as active as it could be and intensity level is lower than with the puck in the offensive zone. Not deficient, but doesn't offer any added value right now.

Overall, I like Foley as a middle six winger that plays an up-tempo game and has a nice release. Good skating ability, does have skill and can make plays. Needs to fill out frame but protects the puck decently well. Compete level is not an issue at all, will be engaged in the offensive zone but defensively needs to polish some things out.

Development focus: I'd say for Foley I would like to see him improve in some off-the-puck defensive aspects. I think he could be a bit more engaging in neutral zone, could be a bit more intense on the back-check. And could utilize his stick better to cover lanes in his own zone.

Projection: I'd say Foley's potential is a middle six winger, probably closer to a 3rd line. Mid-sized once he fills out, has skill and can make plays, quick release and scoring instincts. Active and engaged and there is a bit of peskiness to him from the faceoff dots up to beneath the goal-line area. Skating ability and can handle the puck while changing angles. Has PP qualities.

hockeyexpert

Jun 28, 2014
Brad Morrison

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid sized C/W, high skill level, creativity, and vision. Effortless fluid stride.
Room for improvement: needs to apply himself a bit more consistently as a shift-by-shift presence on the ice, frame needs to fill out quite a bit, decent positionally but not very engaging defensively

Full analysis:
Brad Morrison is a mid-sized center (although capable of playing wing as well) prospect. He does look a bit thin at the moment and doesn't appear particularly physically strong, so he will have to fill out a bit going forward. He has a very high skill level with the puck, creativity to think up and try various skill plays whether they are moves with the puck or passes, and is a very fluid and effortless skater. Good shot and can be a scorer as well. Has decent hockey IQ, although I think his game has room to be polished out, which in my opinion is the reason why despite an apparently high skill level his numbers this season were not amazing. Creates mostly through speed differentials, his hands, and his vision/creativity. Not a bull but will go into traffic enough that it projects well to the pro-game. I think where the room for improvement stems from is in turning that toolset into a more pro-style game where he would be involved more on a consistent shift-by-shift basis even if it's not that flashy.

As mentioned, as an offensive producer, i think Morrison has both the hands, the creativity and the mobility to be a factor. A lot of the times he will use his skating and hands to dart through or around a player and quickly come up with a scoring chance. Has good vision and while he tracks the play just fine, I think there could maybe be a bit more of a conscious effort at both getting open as well as supporting the puck, without necessarily doing anything flashy. I don't think it's much of a compete level issue, I think it's a mentality shift where he right now is probably more comfortable in utilizing his high skill level to dart in and out of the game and not really be a dominant presence in the middle of the ice. So I think he'd benefit by that shift where he'd look to get more consistently involved in a basic, simple level with supporting the puck and maybe focus on making a couple of basic simple passes that are beneficial to the team's effort.

Coming out of his zone I think his puck support is average, he isn't someone that ignores his duties on the break-out or looks to be offense only, so I'm not too worried about that. Once you give him the puck through the neutral zone he obviously has the hands, the speed, and the vision to hurt you. What I do think he could change, is that he could probably dedicate a bit more of a conscious effort in utilizing that skill and speed to bring the puck up the ice, gain entry, delay a bit and then pass it off for continued possession of his team with all 5 players in the offensive zone. I think he should be capable of making a couple of basic give-and-go's that extend possession in the offensive zone or aid the transition game on a more consistent basis.

In defensive transition, I think he could allow himself to be a bit more aggressive with his skating in closing down and steering the play to the outside. Has good reads and there isn't anything lacking there with his positional sense, but he is more of a cerebral player than someone who would be a puck-hound. If he stays at center obviously that's not that big of a deal, but I think if he's the first guy on the forecheck or the winger, he would probably be aided by adding a bit more snarl to his puck-pursuit. That would also give him more developmental outs as to what he could be and where he could be utilized going forward.

In his own zone, again as far as hockey IQ qualities go, I don't have an issue with his reads or positioning. But it's fair to say that he doesn't look anything more than average right now. Tracks the play fine and will pay attention to coverage, but he's not very aggressive or stingy, not very strong on the wall or in front of the net, and doesn't have high-end defensive stick ability. I think some of that could be brought up to a higher level going forward.

Overall, I like Morrison as someone who has the skill, the skating, the vision, and the creativity to be a legit prospect. I think he's probably a better fit on the top two lines as a projection, but some teams that favor speed or don't mind using primarily a skill player could also utilize him in a 3rd line role as he is decently smart not just skilled. Has PP qualities. Not sure whether he's a top 2 center at the NHL level, but he has shown some ability in playing wing as well.

Development focus: I think for Morrison, filling out would be one thing. Secondly I do think he could utilize his toolset a bit better to be a shift-by-shift factor all over the ice as opposed to a forward that weaves in and out of the game with those skilled quick strikes. I think at least at the junior level, he would probably benefit by starting to think of himself as someone who should bring consistent positive value to his team by being a presence at all times and in all situations, not just a quick strike skill contributor. Which will probably come when he slightly simplifies his game.

Projection: I think Morrison is probably best fitted to play as a top 6 C/W. I'm not sure that it is realistic to expect him to be a top 6 center at the NHL level, so a transition to wing might be more likely. Has PP qualities. Also some teams who don't mind using speed and skill might still project him to a 3rd line type of role as he is decently smart.

This kid was probably the most exciting offensive player I watched this year skill and speed through the roof. check out the plays at 1:08 and 1:28

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
David Cotton

Defensive transition ability: C

Keywords, unique identity traits: a pro-sized intelligent center with tools for two-way game, competes well, vision to make plays, skill level is decent. very raw
Room for improvement: very raw overall, still growing into his frame body mechanics can look a bit awkward, body positioning in puck-protection and puck battles could be better, needs to develop defensive stick usage to a higher level

Full analysis:
David Cotton is a pro-sized center prospect with several raw but alluring tools and a developing overall game. Other than his size, he shows decent mobility (at this point somewhat awkward overall body mechanics though, not unusual for raw big-framed prospects), has the vision to make plays, decent puck-handling, hockey IQ to track the play and jump into holes, and the willingness to put his body at use, will go into traffic and to the net. Competes reasonably well. That said he is quite raw at the moment, the tools are there but you get the feel that he is still just barely coming into his own as an overall player. Still growing comfortable with his size, as he has a bit of an upwards straight/tense position on the ice and can look a bit awkward in his body mechanics, but manages to get around at a decent pace either way.

In the offensive zone, he doesn't have a fully established controlled type of presence on the ice yet. But has the tools to contribute. While his top speed isn't that bad, agility, and overall comfort look like work in progress. Has the ability to make plays with the puck but the feet haven't completely caught up with it yet. Same with puck-protection and wall plays, raw size is there but body position isn't yet at a consistent level, willing to engage though even if the polish isn't there. Already shows good vision in finding an open man and shows some creativity in his approach.

Through transition, he understands his position and will support the break-out. Sometimes tends to glide around a bit. Can develop decent top speed, but lateral agility isn't good enough yet. Can make passes and has the vision to move the puck up the ice, once his comfort level is fully developed, his game will really start coming into its own as he will have bigger ability to utilize assets like tighter cuts and crossovers along with reach/puck-handling for zone entries, delays, and puck-protection to buy some time.

In defensive transition he is quite raw. Since his hockey IQ is decent he doesn't have much problem tracking the play and recognizing what is happening on the ice. For a guy that is listed at 6'2 there is not much stick usage at all. Too often holds the stick off ice with both hands, and doesn't really use it yet to cover lanes or control the space with any consistency. Competes reasonably well though and can read where the play is moving, willing attack loose pucks and engage physically if there's a broken play.

In his own zone, it's largely the same thing. Not worried about his positional sense being developed further and I think he'll be able to contribute at least in keeping correct position and competing reasonably well. The rest has to be developed, from utilizing his frame to win battles and gaining inside body position to his stick usage and covering lanes.

Overall, I view Cotton as a big skilled center, that has intelligence and vision with the puck but also competes well. He is very raw at the moment, but I think the outlines of someone who could be a 2nd or 3rd line center are there and he has the toolset to be a two-way factor. However has quite a long path to get there and with that, there is more risk of not reaching it. Bit of a project.

Development focus: I would say for Cotton his game will start looking exponentially better once he grows into his frame and his body mechanics improve further. Other than that, has some details to work on in utilizing his stick defensively, and gaining body position with his frame both defensively as well as in puck-protection.

Projection: Cotton is very raw but there are some tools there that could project him into a 2nd or 3rd line two-way intelligent center with size, that also competes well. Skill to make plays and shows some creativity. Has a long way to go though. Project.

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Jake Massie

Offensive zone ability: C
Offensive transition ability: C
Defensive zone ability: B-

Defense: mixed

Keywords, unique identity traits: a defenseman with a pro-frame (needs to be filled out), mobility, reach, low-risk puck-movement, and a bit of snarl to his game
Room for improvement: needs to fill out, needs to develop those tools further into an overall package where he makes a shift-by-shift impact by being a defensive and puck-moving presence on the ice

Full analysis:
Jake Massie is a decently sized fluid defenseman. Needs to fill out his frame, but already battles well and is physically engaging. Seems to have a decent balance and center of gravity, likes to push and shove and is decent at gaining inside body position against attacking forwards. Top speed isn't that high, but has fluidity in his motion in all directions and lateral agility that allows him to keep decent gaps defensively. Can move the puck out with passing, although capable of skating with the puck, he is quite conservative in his approach and it is unlikely that he'll do rover type of moves. Has a bit of snarl to his game and likes to get physically involved. Not sure if the offensive upside is there, can get it on net and will play the point decently, he should be able to contribute some offense but I don't think he's an offensive defenseman per-se.

In the offensive zone, he has a relatively conservative game. Will sometimes step up a bit further, but is mindful of his positioning and being in control should a turnover occur. Can get his shot on net and has decent agility up and down the blue-lline. Not sure if I see any big creativity with the puck, but that's not a problem. Does what he has to do without exposing his team.

Through transition, it's more likely that he will pass it out than skate with it. He is capable of skating and delaying, and doesn't have much panic with the puck or under pressure, but you won't really see him skating ahead with it, prefers to stay back and join as the last guy, so not much of a rover in his approach. Really quite a low-maintenance game, doesn't need anyone to support him or look out for what he is doing, a stabilizing presence on the back-end.

In defensive transition, his backwards speed isn't top notch, but he has the fluidity of motion and lateral agility that allows him to keep good gaps. Stick ability is decent. Willing to physically close someone out at the wall as well as use his stick. Reads the play fine and positionally solid.

In his own zone, he maintains his position and is aware of his surroundings. Will protect front of the net, engages on the wall, gets his stick in and will dig out loose pucks. I like that he has a bit of snarl. Will push and shove and is pretty good at getting physically involved and gaining inside position against the forward.

Overall, Massie is a fluid composed defenseman. I think more in the two-way if not defensive defenseman mold when all is said and done. Has some nice tools in his reach, agility and fluidity of his movement, stick ability, willingness to be physical and play with a bit of a snarl, and plays a low-risk puck-movement game.

Development focus: I think for Massie going forward just getting better at some of the things that he's already decent at. I think at his size (once he fills out), fluidity of motion, little to no panic, positional sense, a bit of snarl, and reach, he clearly has the tools to project as a legit prospect.

Projection: I'd project Massie as a pro-sized (once he fills out) mobile defenseman with smarts, a low-risk game, puck-movement, and a bit of snarl. Probably 3rd pairing if he makes it, and could log some PK minutes.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Alright. That about sums it up for the top 120 skaters.

1. I will open up a new thread tomorrow and post my final 120 ordered by rank (and linked to reports).
2. I will add the top 5 goalies + their reports the day after - on June 1st
3. And I will send out the PDF file containing all of that on June 2nd to those of you who have requested it or will request it (if you want to, just send me a request the email is: [email protected])

Also, thanks for your attention and the kind words throughout the thread!

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I will just use this thread one more time for the goalie reports so that I can link them in my final thread.

MacKenzie Blackwood

Technical ability: B
Athletic ability: B+
Mental ability: B

keywords, unique identity traits: big calm goalie that takes up a lot of net just by being in position, low-panic threshold, relies on angles and positioning
room for improvement: could be more engaging with traffic in front of him, somewhat lacking intensity in-tight

Full analysis:
MacKenzie Blackwood is a goalie coming in at roughly 6'4 200lbs and it would be safe to say that his size is definitely something that shows on ice. He looks quite big not just in height but thickness and covers significant amount of net just by being in position. His style looks controlled with a very low panic-threshold. Has smooth reactions and little to no jittery movements. Controlled movement side-to-side that is impressive for his size. Doesn't slide out of position in his side-to-side movements and has good speed and control in that area when you consider that he is already effectively a pro-sized goaltender. Even after the initial save, he is quite good laterally. Looks big even when he drops down, as his upper body is straight and takes up significant amount of space. Puck plays are simple and clean, low-risk. Doesn't panic with the puck on his stick. Recovery after dropping down is controlled, but average in explosiveness/speed. Could show more authority with traffic in front of him and plays that are in-tight. Remains in a very demure state even when more authority is needed with sorting out traffic in front of him and battling. I think intensity could be higher in those aspects and tends to shrink a little bit with pace/traffic. Overall a big composed goalie that has good athletic ability for his size. Modern prototype.

Developmental focus: I'd say he'd really benefit by taking a bigger control of his crease area with traffic in front of him

Projection: Potential for big, calm starting goaltender that relies on angles and making himself big in net yet still has decent athleticism

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Callum Booth

Technical ability: B-
Athletic ability: B-

keywords, unique identity traits: decent frame-size, has reflexes and athleticism, competes well
room for improvement: can be overeager in dropping down for shots, can take himself out of play at times

Full analysis:
Callum Booth is a 6'3 goalie with several tools. Size would obviously be one of them, although he doesn't look excessively thick, other assets would include athleticism and reflexes. He is sort of a hybrid between relying both on positional goaltending as well as utilizing more of his reflexes and athleticism than a purely positional/technique goalie would. I like his reaction time and reflexes, but does sometimes appear overeager in dropping down and trying to make a save. I think there could be a bit more control in his game. I also think he tends to look slightly disengaged when removed from the immediate vicinity of play, not that it would be a huge thing, but something I noticed. I like his will to compete in traffic and through bodies and he doesn't give up on plays. On the flip side, he can look at times erratic or overeager in dropping down for shots, which can snowball in a recovery where he is out of balance and behind the play a little bit. Had some rebounds where the puck dropped straight in front of him, but competed well and reacted quickly to swallow it up with a second effort. On attacks from the side, he doesn't have the perfect angles in covering as much net as possible. Also think he gets a bit over-aggressive in coming out at an odd angle when facing a shot from the side, which leaves room for a cross-ice pass and too much room behind him with his body in a difficult position to slide across in time. Also doesn't make himself very big in covering the upper net when dropping to knees (which he as mentioned tends to do sometimes a bit over-eagerly). Overall, has nice tools in athleticism, size, and a developing technique/positioning. Like his compete level.

Developmental focus: Needs more patience with the shooters, could be a bit more controlled in his movements, can overcommit on shots from the side

Projection: Quite raw, but potential for starting goaltender might be there

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Daniel Vladar

Technical ability: B-
Athletic ability: A-
Mental ability: B-

keywords, unique identity traits: a 6'5 goalie with athleticism, surprising recovery and explosiveness for his size
room for improvement: needs to take more control of his crease and traffic, still growing comfortable with size and doesn't make himself appear as big as he actually is

Full analysis:
Daniel Vladar is a 6'5 goalie that still retains considerable quickness in his movement despite his huge frame. Really looks surprisingly explosive and quick for someone who is 6'5. That said does look a bit like he's still getting comfortable with moving around that frame in a controlled manner and with consistency of cutting down angles. Has the potential to cover huge chunks of the net obviously, but his coverage and the angles he takes appear to be a bit of a work in progress for me. Once you account for the fact that he is 6'5, he doesn't appear that big yet (aside from purely vertically) if you actually look at the net when you watch him play. Still, like his athletic tools and the ability to move side-to-side. Also has surprisingly quick recovery in dropping down and getting back up. One thing that I do think could be better in general but especially when factoring in his size, is the control of his crease. In my opinion, allows a bit too much traffic and shrinks instead of making himself bigger. Can get pushed deeper into the net. Overall, I do really like his tools, the size in combination with athletic ability are really projectable, but could clear up some things, still learning how to utilize his huge frame to his benefit.

Developmental focus: Doesn't know how to fully utilize his frame-size to make himself big, control of crease and traffic could be better, growing comfortable with his body still

Projection: An athletic 6'5 starting goaltender, raw still

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Felix Sandstrom

Technical ability: B
Athletic ability: B-

keywords, unique identity traits: 6'2 goalie that makes himself big with positioning and angles, calm and composed
room for improvement: questionable whether he has the explosiveness to make that extra save when needed

Full analysis:
Felix Sandstrom is a 6'2 and what I'd consider a typical Swedish goalie. Makes himself look quite thick in net, cuts downs angles with consistency. And has a really patient, calm approach to his game. Will wait patiently for shooters and rarely if ever overcommits. Doesn't get rattled under pressure and maintains an even-keel approach. Has good angles and control of his net, movement is controlled and purposeful but not particularly explosive. Maintains good position at all times. Can have a calming influence on the team, as he remains relaxed even when momentum is going against his own team. Can suck up rebounds. Doesn't look particularly athletic or reliant on reflexes, nor is he someone who would play with a lot of energy, but has a chance to be a positional goaltender that remains even-keel and is a calming influence on the team overall. Even without the explosiveness, he appears in control, and relies on his angles and ability to read the play and the shooter to make saves.

Developmental focus: I do think he could add some explosiveness in movement with traffic in front of him and in side-to-side movement. Really solid positionally but I question whether he can make that extra save.

Projection: Has a chance to be a positional starting goalie that makes himself big in net and relies on angles. Calming influence.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Alright this is the last report in this thread, I'll add the goalie links in my final thread now.

Ilya Samsonov

Technical ability: B+
Athletic ability: B+
Mental ability: B+

keywords, unique identity traits: a 6'3 goalie with all the tools to be a starter, compete level, technique, control of crease, communication with defense, reflexes, agility
room for improvement: could make himself look a bit bigger when on his knees in covering the upper portion of the net

Full analysis:
Ilya Samsonov is a 6'3 goalie, that not only has several tools at his disposable but already shows considerable polish in utilizing them in net. Has the size to fill out the goal, but in addition to it his agility and recovery are both good. Does not slide out of position, no flopping, controlled, agile and big. Competes well in front of the net, and controls his crease. Angles are consistent and positions himself to face the play and leave minimum of the net exposed. Agile side to side movement with control and explosiveness. Even pushes out of the net vertically to cover up pucks with little to no fear of oncoming traffic. Rebounds go to the side and rarely leaves a puck lying in front of him. Is alert at all times yet calm in demeanour, inspires confidence for his defence. Is seen actively communicating with his teammates and directs them on the occasion, pays attention to what is happening in the game at all times. Good down-low coverage, covers the lower portion of the net very well. The only thing that I see, is that he could make himself look a bit bigger when on his knees. Has the whole package as far as tools go, competes well, and shows a certain confidence in his ability. Only requirement would be consistent development going forward.

Developmental focus: A consistent development going forward, don't see any glaring holes in his game. Could be slightly bigger when on his knees in covering the upper portion of the net.

Projection: Size, technique, compete level, mental ability. Has all the tools for a starting goaltender as far as I'm concern.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
nki you're my hero. Have you ever considered professional scouting?

I'll consider it. :sarcasm: I think there's still lots of room for improvement both in the amount of time spent watching as well as in adding knowledge and gaining experience, but doing all that for free tends to limit the amount of time you can put into it, where at some point the hours become so big it becomes a bit unrealistic unless its your job.

Also just in case someone hasn't noticed yet but might be following this thread, my final rankings are here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1903817

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad