Proposal: NJD-VAN: Schneider for Eriksson

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Cory Schneider got sent down to the AHL. I don't think your club has any confidence that he can be a servicable backup goalie anymore.

You really think you should keep your $6M backup goalie with a 887 save percentage this year? If I'm New Jersey, I'm looking at any opportunity to move on from Schneider and go after a goalie in the free agency or trade market.
I swear you and Zajacs Bowl cut are the same person lol. I just answered this again. please refer to what I just told him

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Because we are in no need to move on from Cory's contract. So I'm good. I'm not swapping out bad contracts for no reason. I don't care if Cory finishes his career in the AHL.

I get why it may appeal from an ownership standpoint, doesn't mean I would have to do it though.

So without a sweetener, I'll pass and just count down the days until the contract is up while we suck. No biggie (FWIW, I've stated multiple times anyway that I don't think Cory is going anywhere; I don't think he's being bought out, I don't think he's being traded).

That's fair, Schneider could be buried in the minors for the duration of his deal. But again, it's easy to say when you don't have to write the cheque to pay Schneider $12M for the next 2 years.

From an ownership perspective, I would much rather be paying $8M for Loui Eriksson to play on the 4th line to chip in defensively and on the PK for 2 years,than $12M for Cory Schneider to be playing goal in the AHL. Your organization is saving money and also getting contributions from your money invested.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That's fair, Schneider could be buried in the minors for the duration of his deal. But again, it's easy to say when you don't have to write the cheque to pay Schneider $12M for the next 2 years.

From an ownership perspective, I would much rather be paying $8M for Loui Eriksson to play on the 4th line to chip in defensively and on the PK for 2 years,than $12M for Cory Schneider to be playing goal in the AHL. Your organization is saving money and also getting contributions from your money invested.

For sure. I've said it before with regards to this very specific move...I absolutely understand it from an ownership standpoint. I even understand it some from a hockey standpoint (Loui's buy out is basically one year and then inconsequential minor hits for a few years while Cory's is level). But frankly, if I were the devils, this is something I can be an ass about and play hardball because I don't need to move on from Cory. So yeah, that's kind of what I'm doing, admittedly.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
ummmm we absolutely can. Its not like were supposed to be competitive. Why does it matter if we have Schnieder in net 15-20 times next year? Either we get vintage Cory and its fun to watch or we get recent Cory and we lose more and get a better draft pick. We're no where near close to competing so who cares if he stinks

Uh... easy to say that as a fan...

But an organization is always looking to improve and become more competitive, keeping Schneider as a primary backup when there are much better options on the free agency/trade market is doing a disservice to the organization and the entire fanbase. You think your organization is actively looking to make your team worse? I don't think Schneider is in your goaltending plans at all, he was already demoted to the minors last year.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Uh... easy to say that as a fan...

But an organization is always looking to improve and become more competitive, keeping Schneider as a primary backup when there are much better options on the free agency/trade market is doing a disservice to the organization and the entire fanbase. You think your organization is actively looking to make your team worse? I don't think Schneider is in your goaltending plans at all, he was already demoted to the minors last year.
I mean how many other devils fans have to explain we dont care if Schnieder goes to the minors. And yes organizations are looking to win the cup not improve by maybe winning 2-3 more games. This trade does absolutely nothing for the Devils. It helps Vancouver a lot and solves a bunch of their problems but does nothing for us long term or future

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think going from Markstrom/Demko to Demko/Schneider would be a huge mistake.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I mean how many other devils fans have to explain we dont care if Schnieder goes to the minors. And yes organizations are looking to win the cup not improve by maybe winning 2-3 more games. This trade does absolutely nothing for the Devils. It helps Vancouver a lot and solves a bunch of their problems but does nothing for us long term or future

How does it help Vancouver a lot?

We would be completely throwing a hail mary hoping Schneider can be a serviceable backup, if he's not, he would be a complete waste of $4.5M in cap space.

Right, you don't care if Schneider goes to the minors, but I bet you the owners who have to write the cheque book to pay Schneider $12M for the next 2 years will care.

If your team got average goaltending from your backups, you would have easily gotten 4 or 5 more wins and would have been in the bubble.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
How does it help Vancouver a lot?

We would be completely throwing a hail mary hoping Schneider can be a serviceable backup, if he's not, he would be a complete waste of $4.5M in cap space.

Right, you don't care if Schneider goes to the minors, but I bet you the owners who have to write the cheque book to pay Schneider $12M for the next 2 years will care.

If your team got average goaltending from your backups, you would have easily gotten 4 or 5 more wins and would have been in the bubble.
because they could buy him out and clear 6 mil cap. You already have Schnieder at 25% retained (1.5m) plus Erikssons 2mil (avg/year left) in real money that still has to be paid. Then you pay a decent backup 3m and youre at 6.5m a year or 13m over the next 2 years. more than Schnieders contract. So just keep him and use him as a crappy backup. The Devils stink. who cares if we stink a little harder with him. You want to move Eriksson it costs an asset not a cap dump in return

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
The Canucks don’t need to worry about Ericksson contract this off season. I mean if they can move him that awesome but it can wait for next season.
If they send him to the ahl they will hope he doesn’t report .
Canucks will move Sven+ Virtanen and maybe move Benn or Beagle + sweetner and they will be fine cap wise

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
No from this Vancouver fan.

Eriksson at least plays like a $1 million NHLer. Schneider doesn't even play like a $1 million NHL goalie.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
That's going to be a pass without a sweetener from Vancouver, especially with retention on Cory. No thanks.

How about Baertschi as the sweetener? Or Sutter? If you twist our arm you may be able to have both!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad