Proposal: NJD-VAN: Schneider for Eriksson

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Assuming Vancouver rolls with Demko... after signing bonuses have been paid.

To VAN:

Cory Schneider (25% retained) - $4.5M cap hit, $9m total salary

To NJD:

Loui Eriksson - $6m cap hit, $5m total salary

Why NJD does this?

Cory has had a couple rough years in New Jersey, and has been sent down to the AHL not too long ago. He is still due a lot of money, and it will look poorly on the organization if they bury him down for the next 2 years, given everything Cory has given to this franchise. Trading Schneider opens up a spot on the roster for the Devils to acquire a solid 1A/1B goalie to split time with Blackwood. Taking on an extra $1.5m cap space for the next two years is nothing consequential for the Devils, they would retain on Schneider's contract, and still save $4M in real cash. As poorly as Eriksson has played, he is still a serviceable 4th line forward that is a strong defensive forward that can play on the PK.

Why VAN does this?

Loui Eriksson saga finally ends, and everybody can move the frick on. Canucks hope that Schneider can be a serviceable backup to Thatcher Demko, potentially playing 25-30 games. The Canucks would get an additional $1.5M cap space for the next two years from this contract swap, and save extra money without having to spend on a 1B goalie in free agency.

Basically both teams are getting players that can play for their respective teams. NJD saves real cash, VAN saves on the cap hit. Change of scenery could do wonders for both struggling players.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How is Schneider at this point? Obviously he’s not a starter, but let’s say Demko got hurt and the Canucks had to roll with Schneider as the starter for a while. Could he handle that?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
No thanks. Cory is a serviceable backup for Blackwood. I think NJ will keep him and expose him in the expansion draft. If he goes unclaimed, then they can buy him out with one year left or not... it’s not like we are in desperate need for cap space.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How is Schneider at this point? Obviously he’s not a starter, but let’s say Demko got hurt and the Canucks had to roll with Schneider as the starter for a while. Could he handle that?

honestly I think its all mental for Cory....he was tremendous last training camp/preseason and then he got injured again in the first game and it clearly lingered. He was okay in the AHL then came back to the NHL level in January and was terrible. Came back up again at the end of the season and was very good for a few games. I think he tends to do very well in situations where he doesn't have a lot of pressure on him in all honesty.

let me put it to you this way- if the Devils go into the season with Schneider as the primary back up to Blackwood, I will not be very happy.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
No thanks. Cory is a serviceable backup for Blackwood. I think NJ will keep him and expose him in the expansion draft. If he goes unclaimed, then they can buy him out with one year left or not... it’s not like we are in desperate need for cap space.

Schneider hasn't been good in New Jersey for 4 years now. Don't you think it's time for a change of scenery? I think the Devils would be doing their organization a disservice to bring back Schneider as a backup if you guys are looking to improve and compete for a playoff spot.

And by the way, you don't have to worry about him being claimed in the expansion draft... never in a million years would Schneider be claimed in the expansion draft :laugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Schneider hasn't been good in New Jersey for 4 years now. Don't you think it's time for a change of scenery? I think the Devils would be doing their organization a disservice to bring back Schneider as a backup if you guys are looking to improve and compete for a playoff spot.

Then you have to ask yourself why Vancouver would trade for him and make him the backup? Wouldn’t they be better re-signing Markstrom and going with him and Demko?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Assuming Vancouver rolls with Demko... after signing bonuses have been paid.

To VAN:

Cory Schneider (25% retained) - $4.5M cap hit, $9m total salary

To NJD:

Loui Eriksson - $6m cap hit, $5m total salary

Why NJD does this?

Cory has had a couple rough years in New Jersey, and has been sent down to the AHL not too long ago. He is still due a lot of money, and it will look poorly on the organization if they bury him down for the next 2 years, given everything Cory has given to this franchise. Trading Schneider opens up a spot on the roster for the Devils to acquire a solid 1A/1B goalie to split time with Blackwood. Taking on an extra $1.5m cap space for the next two years is nothing consequential for the Devils, they would retain on Schneider's contract, and still save $4M in real cash. As poorly as Eriksson has played, he is still a serviceable 4th line forward that is a strong defensive forward that can play on the PK.

Why VAN does this?

Loui Eriksson saga finally ends, and everybody can move the frick on. Canucks hope that Schneider can be a serviceable backup to Thatcher Demko, potentially playing 25-30 games. The Canucks would get an additional $1.5M cap space for the next two years from this contract swap, and save extra money without having to spend on a 1B goalie in free agency.

Basically both teams are getting players that can play for their respective teams. NJD saves real cash, VAN saves on the cap hit. Change of scenery could do wonders for both struggling players.
Imagine reading this thread exactly 7 years ago. Both were headed to their brand new teams as the centerpiece of blockbuster trades that summer. Schneider for Horvat and Eriksson for Seguin.

Reactions: CanuckCity

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Devils fans saying "yes" dont understand that we still need a back up for Blackwood. All this does is deplete us of an overpaid backup while taking up a roster spot from a kid that should get a chance. So no thanks to having Eriksson at 7.25m cap hit the next two years while getting no asset in return.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils fans saying "yes" dont understand that we still need a back up for Blackwood. All this does is deplete us of an overpaid backup while taking up a roster spot from a kid that should get a chance. So no thanks to having Eriksson at 7.25m cap hit the next two years while getting no asset in return.

There are plenty of backup goalies available in free agency or via trade every offseason

and Eriksson's cap hit is $6 million, the same as Schneider's

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Then you have to ask yourself why Vancouver would trade for him and make him the backup? Wouldn’t they be better re-signing Markstrom and going with him and Demko?

Vancouver likely won't be able to get rid of Eriksson unless we either get a worse contract back, or give up a first round pick. Neither are scenarios that the Canucks would want to stomach.

Variety of reasons... not wanting to give Markstrom (turning 31 when next year starts) a long term contract, or getting outbid by other teams? Wanting to roll with the younger, cheaper goalie in Demko?

This deal will help relieve $1.5M of cap hit for 2 years and fill a backup goalie need. Not the perfect Loui Eriksson trade, but might be the best that we can pull off.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That's going to be a pass without a sweetener from Vancouver, especially with retention on Cory. No thanks.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

You're not getting an asset back if you are offloading Schneider.

Schneider and Eriksson are equally terrible contracts, they would offset each other.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
There are plenty of backup goalies available in free agency or via trade every offseason

were not strapped for cash nor do we need cap space. there is no point in swapping cap dumps when we could just keeps ours. If were taking a cap dump its for assets. If anything take on Eriksson for Canucks 2021 1st. If the pick ends up above #20 Vancouver adds a 2022 2nd

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
You're not getting an asset back if you are offloading Schneider.

Schneider and Eriksson are equally terrible contracts, they would offset each other.
I dont expect to get an asset back for Scheinder which is why we should just keep him. Look at my response to someone right above this post and see if you agree to that

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
were not strapped for cash nor do we need cap space. there is no point in swapping cap dumps when we could just keeps ours. If were taking a cap dump its for assets. If anything take on Eriksson for Canucks 2021 1st. If the pick ends up above #20 Vancouver adds a 2022 2nd

the point is the Devils absolutely cannot go into next season with Cory Schneider as the primary backup goalie. That will be a disaster.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
That's going to be a pass without a sweetener from Vancouver, especially with retention on Cory. No thanks.

Not sure why a sweetener is necessary. You do realize Schneider is possibly a worse contract than Eriksson's? I personally would take a 4th liner that can play defensive minutes and PK over the below average backup goalie that plays 20-30 games a year.

The retention is needed because Eriksson is only owed $5m in real dollars, whereas Schneider is owed $12m in real dollars. Even with the retention, New jersey saves $4M in cash.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

So you want to take on Erikson’s cap hit just to bury him, retain on Cory, and then spend even more to get a backup for MB when we already have one? It doesn’t really make sense for NJ but it makes sense for Vancouver. I understand you and others don’t like Cory but he is perfectly fine in a backup role going into next season. It’s not like a backup goalie is going to make or break our season next year...

Reactions: devils29 and Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Not sure why a sweetener is necessary. You do realize Schneider is possibly a worse contract than Eriksson's? I personally would take a 4th liner that can play defensive minutes and PK over the below average backup goalie that plays 20-30 games a year.

The retention is needed because Eriksson is only owed $5m in real dollars, whereas Schneider is owed $12m in real dollars. Even with the retention, New jersey saves $4M in cash.

Because we are in no need to move on from Cory's contract. So I'm good. I don't care if Cory finishes his career in the AHL.

I get why it may appeal from an ownership standpoint, doesn't mean I would have to do it though. Honestly, I've said it before when this has come up, there's even some appeal from the Devils standpoint because of the buy out structures. But that's not enough for me to make the deal because I just don't care if we do move on from Cory's contract right now. The difference in buy outs is tempting, but yeah, I'd want something else. Doesn't have to be anything special, and yes, I'm basically being a dick playing hardball about it, I will admit.

So without a sweetener, I'll pass and just count down the days until the contract is up while we suck. No biggie (FWIW, I've stated multiple times anyway that I don't think Cory is going anywhere; I don't think he's being bought out, I don't think he's being traded).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So you want to take on Erikson’s cap hit just to bury him, retain on Cory, and then spend even more to get a backup for MB when we already have one? It doesn’t really make sense for NJ but it makes sense for Vancouver. I understand you and others don’t like Cory but he is perfectly fine in a backup role going into next season. It’s not like a backup goalie is going to make or break our season next year...

if the Devils had capable backup goaltending this past year, they might have made the playoffs or at the very least been a bubble team. Their non-Blackwood goalies were absolutely horrendous last season. They had something like a .870 SV%

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I dont expect to get an asset back for Scheinder which is why we should just keep him. Look at my response to someone right above this post and see if you agree to that

Cory Schneider got sent down to the AHL. I don't think your club has any confidence that he can be a servicable backup goalie anymore.

You really think you should keep your $6M backup goalie with a 887 save percentage this year? If I'm New Jersey, I'm looking at any opportunity to move on from Schneider and go after a goalie in the free agency or trade market.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
the point is the Devils absolutely cannot go into next season with Cory Schneider as the primary backup goalie. That will be a disaster.
ummmm we absolutely can. Its not like were supposed to be competitive. Why does it matter if we have Schnieder in net 15-20 times next year? Either we get vintage Cory and its fun to watch or we get recent Cory and we lose more and get a better draft pick. We're no where near close to competing so who cares if he stinks

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad