Proposal: NJD - TOR

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Zacha has improved this season but he's not as good as his point totals indicate. He is an absolute black hole on the defensive side of the puck, and while he usually excels on the PK he has really struggled there this season. He's shooting more, which is good, he has always had a good shot but would always look to pass first. Now he's taking the initiative and shooting himself, but his 18.2% shooting rate isn't going to keep up all season. He is more of a special teams/gadget player that Ruff has figured out how to use correctly, don't expect a guy that generates his own offense or is a great 5-on-5 player. He is extremely situational.

Wood is what he is, a big but not always physical guy with elite straight line speed who is great on breakaways. He both takes and draws a ton of minors. His play has also improved this season, particularly on the defensive side. He's always driving to the net and tbh it gets him in trouble just as much as it helps him. Still though, he's willing to pay the price and his maturity has really grown this season. I think he's a good 15-20 goal option for the 3rd line on a deep contending team.

That being said, while I'm happy both of these homegrown players are starting to come into their own, the OP is overpayment for either of them. I also don't think the Devils idea of "building for the future" involves trading away a 23 year old who is currently leading the team in points.

Reactions: Hisch13r

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Build for future by trading guys who finally start becoming valuable players....
it would be a selling high trade, if you doubt zacha and/or wood could consistently be the respective player, which they were in this young season.
i have more hope, that zacha turned the corner and can be a consistent performer. you most likely wouldn't have sold at highest value right now.
i think wood's game will always be hit or miss and therefore dry spell have to be expected. if he doesn't get passive again, he could still contribute, even if it isn't directly on the scoreboard. he is also a better fit in the bottom 6, than on one of the scoring lines. the devils added more size in the last few drafts, so i could see him become expendable. for the op's offer i would strongly consider to move wood.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
it would be a selling high trade, if you doubt zacha and/or wood could consistently be the respective player, which they were in this young season.
i have more hope, that zacha turned the corner and can be a consistent performer. you most likely wouldn't have sold at highest value right now.
i think wood's game will always be hit or miss and therefore dry spell have to be expected. if he doesn't get passive again, he could still contribute, even if it isn't directly on the scoreboard. he is also a better fit in the bottom 6, than on one of the scoring lines. the devils added more size in the last few drafts, so i could see him become expendable. for the op's offer i would strongly consider to move wood.
Well OP's offer seems to be a no go for most of Toronto so that's of no use.

So with that said, you want draft picks to get players who contribute. Forget stars, at the percentage draft picks turn into actual NHL players you are just hoping for an actual NHL quality player. You can't ever rebuild if every time a pick works out to an extent, you just trade them for more lottery tickets.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I think Palmieri is a more realistic piece both to the Leafs and to the Devils moving him. Proven goal scorer who can be a good rental add.

What could you offer for Palmieri at 50% retained?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like these players but that price is crazy.

That is more than what Hall will likely get on the market...

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Well OP's offer seems to be a no go for most of Toronto so that's of no use.

So with that said, you want draft picks to get players who contribute. Forget stars, at the percentage draft picks turn into actual NHL players you are just hoping for an actual NHL quality player. You can't ever rebuild if every time a pick works out to an extent, you just trade them for more lottery tickets.
i don't think, this is a mainboard topic.

end of last season any first round pick would have been a clear overpayment for wood. wood is great so far this season. are you confident, he can do this consistently? if the answer is yes, you keep him. if the answer is no, you listen to offer and try to sell him with his stock high.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Hey its over payment but i give OP some credit it didn't include Amirov or Liljegren

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I've been dying to get Zacha on the Oil as the 3C of our dreams (who can play up). I was pumping JP for Zacha for 2 years. Really happy to see Zacha finally doing well and catching on. The fact he's even suggested in a trade to a contender is encouraging! 23 and leads team in scoring right now:

View attachment 402951

Good contract too!

View attachment 402952

Just hope it wasn't a 10 game heater and he's finally found some consistency in his offence as he might be a good 2C on a stronger team as well. He used to be very good at the PK as well.

You do not want Zacha to be your 3C. He is not good enough to be a regular NHL center. He belongs on the wing and can fill in as a center (not all that well though) if needed

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
You do not want Zacha to be your 3C. He is not good enough to be a regular NHL center. He belongs on the wing and can fill in as a center (not all that well though) if needed

If the Oilers think he is a 3C then let's start negotiating. The one Oiler fan wants Butcher too, may as well package them together.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A very late first , a very late second , those prospects are not high end , vesey will be on waivers soon . You may be able to do a little better but let’s not get to carried away

Hirvonen and Hallander were recent 2nd rounders. That's a 1st and 2 2nd round investments and both prospects are inside our top 10.

Could have signed Janmark in the off-season....we signed Simmonds....there will be guys available this summer. I don't see a middle 6 forward returning that in this climate. Some teams milked Tampa Bay pretty well but I don't see it happening this year.

All indications are that this is going to be an uneventful season for trading. Maybe the off-season gets better if the vaccine handles North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad