Proposal: NJD - TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Clarkson's contract expires in 2020. Alzner's is done in 2022.

Zaitsev is under contract until 2024... for within ~$500K of those guys. Do you not see the significant difference?

One is actually on an NHL roster?

No idea why Devils fans are getting so butthurt in this thread.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Zaitsev is not a dump, he plays 20+ mins a night (3rd on the team in icetime, and within 4 seconds on Hainsey on the PK and the only use we have for Hainsey) ...he is actually well worth his salary, he just is the current poster boy for Leafs hatred.
what is Santini going to do for the Leafs, battle Holl for a seat on the bench?
Then why not just keep him? It's not like RHD is one of the Leafs' strengths...

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Zaitsev (10% retained) and RFA Kapanen for Steve Santini and 5th round pick.
Reason: If they want to get rid of that albatross Contract its going to cost The Leafs.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Swap out Igor Ozhiganov + 2020 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick and give NJ Rasmus Sandin instead.

Then you have a deal
What is with this ridiculous idea with HF board that the leafs need to trade away sandin to rid a contract? What precedence is there to even assume that? It's actually the dumbest thing I've read

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What is with this ridiculous idea with HF board that the leafs need to trade away sandin to rid a contract? What precedence is there to even assume that? It's actually the dumbest thing I've read
That's the price if you want to dump your dead weight contracts with NJ.

Don't like it. Go elsewhere

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
That's the price if you want to dump your dead weight contracts with NJ.

Don't like it. Go elsewhere
I'm not going anywhere, I'm not making proposals or even defending this one, so I don't need to go anywhere. Not like it matters cause I don't work in the leafs management office nor do you the devil's or any franchise so what do either of us know?

Bernify

May 28, 2014
I think most people in this thread are not considering that NHL GM's likely value Zaitsev. I'm willing to bet that a team views him as a positive impact player, and are okay with the contract he has.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So awful. I mean I can't think of GM in the world who would want a top 4 right-handed defenceman (4th in icetime, 2 in PK time) on a contending team that is 7th in goals against per game.
You forgot a few things:
He just happens to be the only true RHD on that certain team.
That certain team is looking for help at that same position.
And still his own teams fan base is extremely eager to trade him - even before the PO.

So Zaitsev is not a desirable piece for today and the future = CAP DUMP

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So awful. I mean I can't think of GM in the world who would want a top 4 right-handed defenceman (4th in icetime, 2 in PK time) on a contending team that is 7th in goals against per game.

Then why is your fan base putting him in trades every 10 minutes?
And....
If he is a good a bargain as you say, why hasn't some GM snatched him up on such a great deal?
Just wondering.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You forgot a few things:
He just happens to be the only true RHD on that certain team.
A team that is currently 7th in the league in goals against and currently 5th in the league. Go on.

That certain team is looking for help at that same position.
Which they received in Muzzin which hasn't diminished Zaitsev's role. Now the Leafs are basically looking for depth dmen.

And still his own teams fan base is extremely eager to trade him - even before the PO.
Tell me the day when an NHL team is managed by the fanbase and I'll tell you the day we all become millionaires.

So Zaitsev is not a desirable piece for today and the future = CAP DUMP
Today he's 4th on the Leafs in ice-time and 2nd in penalty killing time, pretty sure that is desirable to them. But in the future I'll give you that. He's certainly not a cap dump to the Leafs head coach though.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
1) A team that is currently 7th in the league in goals against and currently 5th in the league. Go on.

2) Which they received in Muzzin which hasn't diminished Zaitsev's role. Now the Leafs are basically looking for depth dmen.

3) Tell me the day when an NHL team is managed by the fanbase and I'll tell you the day we all become millionaires.

4) Today he's 4th on the Leafs in ice-time and 2nd in penalty killing time, pretty sure that is desirable to them. But in the future I'll give you that. He's certainly not a cap dump to the Leafs head coach though.
1) Despite of not because of Zaitsev.
2) Muzzin for his career has exclusively played on the left side.
3) So Zaitsev is also on the untouchable list of Dubas. This must be a relief for 30 other fan bases.
4) Ice-time? Or in the words of Pierre de Coubertin: 'The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.'

Keep Zaitsev

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Man I see my fellow Devils fans are still way overvaluing Saniti.

This proposal ain't great, but my goodness Santini's going to end up a 5-6 at best.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think most people in this thread are not considering that NHL GM's likely value Zaitsev. I'm willing to bet that a team views him as a positive impact player, and are okay with the contract he has.

And I think you are thinking very, very optimistically in saying this.

I don’t doubt that he can be a positive impact player on another team, but the contract is the sticking point. He’d be on the books until 2024. That is insane.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
NJD
Ben Lovejoy + Steven Santini

TOR
Nikita Zaitsev + Igor Ozhiganov + 2020 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick

Reasons;

NJD
Receives a capable player who is overpaid by roughly 1.5 million, but receives high mid round picks for 2 years in return, as well as a more affordable depth d-man. Also get's rid of a depth defense man with some possible upside but who's term is too long in Santini. Lovejoy comes off the book at the end of this season regardless

TOR
Adds a Physical defense man who comes off the book at the end of the year and may help the team, will still have to pay Santini in a depth role for 3 years.

Yes this is a cap dump for Toronto at a significant expense.
whishfull thinking here, not happening from the devils side...

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Man I see my fellow Devils fans are still way overvaluing Saniti.

This proposal ain't great, but my goodness Santini's going to end up a 5-6 at best.
Maybe so, but there is not enough there for us to take on that term/contract. TMLs will have to give up a good piece of some sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad