The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
NJD
Ben Lovejoy + Steven Santini

TOR
Nikita Zaitsev + Igor Ozhiganov + 2020 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick

Reasons;

NJD
Receives a capable player who is overpaid by roughly 1.5 million, but receives high mid round picks for 2 years in return, as well as a more affordable depth d-man. Also get's rid of a depth defense man with some possible upside but who's term is too long in Santini. Lovejoy comes off the book at the end of this season regardless

TOR
Adds a Physical defense man who comes off the book at the end of the year and may help the team, will still have to pay Santini in a depth role for 3 years.

Yes this is a cap dump for Toronto at a significant expense.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also, what’s a “high mid pick”? Very contradictory.

And Santini’s term (signed through 20-21) is “too long,” but Zaitsev’s term (through 23-24) is cool?

Terrible proposal, and even worse logic. Awful.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
NJD
Ben Lovejoy + Steven Santini

TOR
Nikita Zaitsev + Igor Ozhiganov + 2020 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick

Reasons;

NJD
Receives a capable player who is overpaid by roughly 1.5 million, but receives high mid round picks for 2 years in return, as well as a more affordable depth d-man. Also get's rid of a depth defense man with some possible upside but who's term is too long in Santini. Lovejoy comes off the book at the end of this season regardless

TOR
Adds a Physical defense man who comes off the book at the end of the year and may help the team, will still have to pay Santini in a depth role for 3 years.

Yes this is a cap dump for Toronto at a significant expense.

Zaitsev is not a dump, he plays 20+ mins a night (3rd on the team in icetime, and within 4 seconds on Hainsey on the PK and the only use we have for Hainsey) ...he is actually well worth his salary, he just is the current poster boy for Leafs hatred.
what is Santini going to do for the Leafs, battle Holl for a seat on the bench?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
New Jersey preferes Toronto to retain 1.5 million on the Zaitsev contract instead of taking Santini off their books. They just signed him in the summer.
2nd and 3rd round picks are still no overwhelming compensation for 15 million $ and 5 years of 3 million cap hit.

Last edited:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Swap out Igor Ozhiganov + 2020 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick and give NJ Rasmus Sandin instead.

Then you have a deal

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
After hearing the feedback and doing more HW I'd like to delete this proposal. I apologize if I have offended any Devils fans, I thought Santini was more of an anchor than he is...so while I walk home with may tail between my legs (as deserved) can someone teach me how to delete the thread, or is this more of a life-long HF board lesson I need to learn lol?

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Zaitsev is not a dump, he plays 20+ mins a night (3rd on the team in icetime, and within 4 seconds on Hainsey on the PK and the only use we have for Hainsey) ...he is actually well worth his salary, he just is the current poster boy for Leafs hatred.

Zaitsev is a total dump. If he wasn’t, the leafs wouldn’t be so desperate to trade him as he plays a position of need (RHD)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Word.

I want absolutely no part of that contract. Nothing to do with it. Especially for a friggin 2nd and a 3rd - just horrific.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Mods need to lock every thread proposing a Zaitsev trade. The proposals have all been beyond ridiculous, at this point it should he considered mass trolling.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
We'll take your crappy contract, sure. But you better be willing to pay.

Us giving up a rental and a respectable developemental D man as well as a 2nd and 3rd is laughable.

Readjust your thinking. You're dumping a horrific contract on us. Ok. Now go. What do we get for that?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Is it bottom 5 or bottom 2?

Keep moving the goalposts ladies and gentleman.

I would rather have Lucic's contract over Zaitsev's on the books, not to mention that EDM would actually give us valuable assets to take it. I have no interest in helping TML shed space, if anything the only dealings I want to have with your franchise is offer sheeting Kapanen to put you further into cap hell.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What's with all the NJ dudes calling out Zaitsev's contract as bottom 2/3 in the league?

Lucic is worse. Clarkson is worse. Hell, the Habs are paying Alzner more to play in the AHL.

That doesn't even touch upon the fact the Devils are paying 6M for the next three and a half years for a goalie who is ass even in the minors

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What's with all the NJ dudes calling out Zaitsev's contract as bottom 2/3 in the league?

Lucic is worse. Clarkson is worse. Hell, the Habs are paying Alzner more to play in the AHL.

That doesn't even touch upon the fact the Devils are paying 6M for the next three and a half years for a goalie who is ass even in the minors

Clarkson's contract expires in 2020. Alzner's is done in 2022.

Zaitsev is under contract until 2024... for within ~$500K of those guys. Do you not see the significant difference?

Reactions: go4hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad