Confirmed Trade: [NJD/STL] Jon Gillies for future considerations

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Firing Nas & Recchi ain't gonna do a damn thing. If we are gonna fire people they all need to go including Ruff. No coaches remaining from this giant mess. Start from scratch. Bring in a name like Torts. As far as trading players is concerned I'm willing to trade anyone not named Hughes, Nico, Mercer, Bratt, Graves & Hamilton. No one on our team is special enough to warrant not being trade bait.
But why make trades for the sake of making them? Anything seems like it would be lateral at this point.

Recchi has to go. His power play is useless. Pens fans warned. But Ruff wasn’t allowed to choose his assistants. I say let the assistants go and let him hire who he wants. Ride out the year. If we need to replace Ruff do it in the summer.

The Metro is a bloodbath this year. We’ll be lucky not to finish dead last in the metro again. No reason to make huge moves yet.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Firing Nas & Recchi ain't gonna do a damn thing. If we are gonna fire people they all need to go including Ruff. No coaches remaining from this giant mess. Start from scratch. Bring in a name like Torts. As far as trading players is concerned I'm willing to trade anyone not named Hughes, Nico, Mercer, Bratt, Graves & Hamilton. No one on our team is special enough to warrant not being trade bait.

I'd agree with, those names being untouchables but, I'd think Graves is going to be a part of the package if, Tarasenko heads to Jersey .

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I'd agree with, those names being untouchables but, I'd think Graves is going to be a part of the package if, Tarasenko heads to Jersey .
We can't really afford to trade Graves at the moment. We have 0 LD rn besides Siegs & no way can he be our #1 LD. Smith has been brutal & we can't rely on the prospects who haven't played in the NHL yet. I agree we need a player like Tarasenko but not at the expense of opening up a giant gaping hole on defense. I would be more willing to trade one of our forwards for him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
But why make trades for the sake of making them? Anything seems like it would be lateral at this point.

Recchi has to go. His power play is useless. Pens fans warned. But Ruff wasn’t allowed to choose his assistants. I say let the assistants go and let him hire who he wants. Ride out the year. If we need to replace Ruff do it in the summer.

The Metro is a bloodbath this year. We’ll be lucky not to finish dead last in the metro again. No reason to make huge moves yet.
Has that ever happened? Letting Assts go without Head coach being let go as well? If so when, not in recent history! Quinn as interim coach with Whomever, line up Gronberg and tell Elis its time!

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Has that ever happened? Letting Assts go without Head coach being let go as well? If so when, not in recent history! Quinn as interim coach with Whomever, line up Gronberg and tell Elis its time!
Not sure but I don’t see the problem with pinpointing the issues. The power play is garbage and has been since Recchi took over. He needs to go either way. I don’t see why everyone has to go with him but if it has to be done that way I won’t lose any sleep over it.

I guess Ruff gets some of the blame because it’s his overall decision making but they fire head coaches all of the time while assistants take over. Why can’t they fire assistants and let the head coach stay on? Like I said Ruff didn’t choose Recchi or Nasardine.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Good for him for still being in contention for an NHL gig. Expected him to be in Europe by now
He finally makes his NHL debut and gets immediately traded :laugh:
He played a few games with the Flames

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He looked really good until he injured something and then the wheels fell off. Goalies are voodoo
In fairness his college stats were absolutely nasty
Look at Demko and Oettinger with similar career projections (though they were late birthdays so they were already in college when they were drafted while Gillies had to play in the USHL his draft year)
Demko only started getting good the past couple of years. Oettinger looks to be starting to take off now.
Gillies is 2 years older than Demko. Maybe he can start an upswing. He always looked solid in the AHL.

edit: ages were wrong

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Gillies was a Flames prospect and came out of the NCAA. He played the better part of seven seasons in the AHL, five in the Calgary organization. This was, in part, due to injuries in successive seasons that hindered his development. And in part because the Flames found a free agent Czech goalie by the name of David Rittich.

For a time they were teammates on the farm and Rittich earned a spot with the big club in 2017. Gillies had been injured in 2016-17 as I recall. Could be wrong though.

Gillies had a pretty good 2017-18 season (.917 Sv%), but was average after that. When his contract was up in 2017, the Flames signed him to a two year deal as he was a Group 6 UFA. When that term was up in 2020 they waved goodbye because by then they had other prospects they wanted to develop.

But at 6'6" and 223 lbs., I'd take a chance on him. Good for Jersey. He may surprise people.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Gillies replaces the 3rd string spot vacated by Scott Wedgewood when he was claimed off waivers by Arizona in the beginning of November.

The Devils probably want to keep inexperienced goalies Akira Schmid and Nico Daws in the AHL to continue in their development, while Gillies backs up Blackwood.

Gillies will probably be waived later in the season when Bernier returns from injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad