Confirmed Trade: [NJD/SJS] Meier (50%), Harrington, Ibragimov, Emond, Hatakka, ‘24 5th for ‘23 1st, cond ‘24 1st, Johnsson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, Zetterlund, 24 7th

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Goaltending is voodoo. Vegas just won with Adin Hill. Unless you have a way to acquire one of the like 5 proven elite starters, who teams almost never trade away for that very reason, your best move is not to commit term or dollars to the position.
While true, Vegas is also a lot better at actually defending, and not giving up those scramble 2nd and 3rd opportunities, where you're not defending. They led the league in blocked shots last season. They're top 5 this season. 1st in the league at expected goals against differential. Top 10 in rebound goals against. Less defensive zone giveaways.

I too believe teams just need good, consistent, goaltending. But I'm not sure you can just swap a goalie playing well to NJ and get the same outcome right now until they tighten up. They kinda' need both things to take place. A goalie where the team feels confident playing in front of, and a little bit better defending.

Reactions: sting101

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No, the Oilers became the Oilers because they assumed paying for a goalie was suddenly going to make all their other deficiencies go away. Devils have a solid foundation both up front and at the blue line, which is something Edmonton never had.

But, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing yada yada yada, so either the the devils keep going to that well of discount darlings or they make a big splash which will either put them over the top or anchor them down.
exactly what other teams fans do here. use same old arguments over and over again.

at the draft we should have traded the pick who became nemec for anderson and miller. they were the missing pieces. now the turn is on winipeg fans with helle and we do the same thing yada no yada no yada no.

winnipeg is the same failure franchise like edmonton and toronto. or weren't they the up and coming team like 3-5 years ago?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hamilton is better than Trouba/Pietrangelo.
If your looking for just offense and PP acumen he's better than Trouba. But if he played behind Fox in NY or another player that QBs the PP better than him Trouba is a better player.

Pietrangelo is better. It's not really an argument. if you've watched how one raises him game in all facets when called upon vs Hamiltons history.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
1702819419964.png

So hes officially doin worse so far this year, than he did last year when he first joined.

What is going on? He just doesnt seem to mesh well with anyone on NJ. Not good being his first year for his new 8.8x8 deal.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think he is definitely playing injured. He gets no separation, hasn't thrown his body around as much, and is getting outmuscled much more than in the past. He doesn't strike me as a player who would mail it in

Reactions: HBK27

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Sharks fans: Is he really even that good or did the Sharks know he was overrated?

I, as a Devils fan, propose a trade back. We even got him signed for y'all, he's yours now.

Reactions: walkedpast

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
View attachment 785114
So hes officially doin worse so far this year, than he did last year when he first joined.

What is going on? He just doesnt seem to mesh well with anyone on NJ. Not good being his first year for his new 8.8x8 deal.
He’s playing injured. There was speculation from one of those twitter docs that it was a sprained MCL. Regardless of what it is, it’s clearly limiting him significantly. Probably shouldn’t even be in because he’s been genuinely awful.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He’s playing injured. There was speculation from one of those twitter docs that it was a sprained MCL. Regardless of what it is, it’s clearly limiting him significantly. Probably shouldn’t even be in because he’s been genuinely awful.
injury doesnt explain it all though. he hasn't fit in well since becoming a devil although it is worse now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So he's been injured for over a year now? Doesn't add up.

Meier is not a fit for the Devils system. I think the Sharks really inflated his value.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Meier is not a fit for the Devils system. I think the Sharks really inflated his value.

not surprised.

I had a buyer beware on him with inflated stats.
I had him more in that mid 50s pts range of a player. Sure some years he can be higher.

Devils have until July 1 to move him.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice and Groo

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think a Meier / Huberdeau swap (with picks and salary retentions to make it right) makes sense.

Huberdeau is at his best in a NJD type of system - similar to how the Panthers play. Lots of east / west movement and activation of D.

Meier would be best for the Flames system. Like the Sharks they play more North / South with puck protection and cycling.

These two are fish out over water with their current teams.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Shark Finn and Groo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I don’t get it? He played quite well last season for the Devils. There’s more to evaluating play than just looking at box scores, which is clearly all you’re doing.

I think a Meier / Huberdeau swap (with picks and salary retentions to make it right) makes sense.

Huberdeau is at his best in a NJD type of system - similar to how the Panthers play. Lots of east / west movement and activation of D.

Meier would be best for the Flames system. Like the Sharks they play more North / South with puck protection and cycling.

These two are fish out over water with their current teams.
Utterly ridiculous nonsense.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I remember some of these same conversations about Hamilton his first season with NJ - that he didn't fit in NJ's system, his injuries didn't explain his decline...by season 2 he was 6th in Norris voting.

Still early for Meier - wouldn't write him off as overrated or not a fit with NJ just yet. Certainly seems like the injury is hampering his game - hopefully it's something he can fully recover from at some point this season.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Meier started slow then stared to play well then got hurt then came back and looks to be playing hurt. He was good in the short stretch before he was injured. Not sure why the team is rolling him out there at what looks like 70%.
Because he's healthy and able to play. The issue is he is lost in the Devil's system and never as good as Devil's management thought he was.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So in your eyes he is injured, yet still playing.

Thanks sparky - great analysis.
Yes, this happens literally every year. Nico was playing injured to start the season. Jack has played injured through parts of multiple seasons. Dougie played with a significant foot injury his first season in NJ and through a hand injury in the playoffs.

I wonder why he’s not moving as well as last year? Probably nothing to do with injury and it’s some bullshit you made up about how he fits on the team.

IMG_1562.jpeg

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, this happens literally every year. Nico was playing injured to start the season. Jack has played injured through parts of multiple seasons. Dougie played with a significant foot injury his first season in NJ and through a hand injury in the playoffs.

I wonder why he’s not moving as well as last year? Probably nothing to do with injury and it’s some bullshit you made up about how he fits on the team.

View attachment 785145
Consistently regressing. Makes sense. He never was as good as Devil's management / fans thought and he's getting worse.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct answer and not cop out like he's injured.

He's a massively overpaid forward.

Reactions: walkedpast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad