Post-Game Talk: NJD @ NYR: Tune-up for the Playoffs

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Great game. Getting psyched for playoffs. Hope Clowe, Boyle, Dorsett, Staal can all get back quickly. That'd be a pretty intimidating lineup if they do.

Italics added by me for context. Is this a joke? You can't be serious... Clarkson has been a mediocre third liner his entire career - he had one breakout season just last year which by all indications was an abberration, and everyone has been gushing about him since. That this is even a debate is absurd.

Clarkson's production last year was inflated by getting big PP time compared to past years and having a significantly higher shooting % than he has ever had. More than one third of his production came from PP pts. He was the king of garbage goals last year (yes, goals are goals - but are we really going to make this mistake again? Gomez's production was inflated by garbage goals on NJ's PP too...). In Clarkson's best year, he only barely kept pace with Clowe's worst year. And on top of all of that, he does not have the vision or playmaking skills that Clowe does. In terms of physicality they're probably pretty even. You can't even say that he is significantly younger -- he is just 6 months younger. What a joke.

Clarkson will never score close to 30 again, I'd be surprised if he get much over 20 ever again.

GFiP*

The Marty chant has caused devils fans to cry tears of frustration, and that has caused me to cry tears of laughter!

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Great game. Getting psyched for playoffs. Hope Clowe, Boyle, Dorsett, Staal can all get back quickly. That'd be a pretty intimidating lineup if they do.

Italics added by me for context. Is this a joke? You can't be serious... Clarkson has been a mediocre third liner his entire career - he had one breakout season just last year which by all indications was an abberration, and everyone has been gushing about him since. That this is even a debate is absurd.

Clarkson's production last year was inflated by getting big PP time compared to past years and having a significantly higher shooting % than he has ever had. More than one third of his production came from PP pts. He was the king of garbage goals last year (yes, goals are goals - but are we really going to make this mistake again? Gomez's production was inflated by garbage goals on NJ's PP too...). In Clarkson's best year, he only barely kept pace with Clowe's worst year. And on top of all of that, he does not have the vision or playmaking skills that Clowe does. In terms of physicality they're probably pretty even. You can't even say that he is significantly younger -- he is just 6 months younger. What a joke.

Exactly. Remember, Brian Boyle had a 20 goal season, too. He fell back to Earth.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Richards has really picked up his game. Couldn't have picked a better time.

New season. Clean slate. All the mean, bad things I have said about this team no longer apply. LET'S DO THIS!!

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
First star - The 1st line. Stepan and Callahan are beautiful together everywhere on the ice. They had a magnificent first shift to set the tone of the game and could have scored 3 more times.

2nd star - The 2nd line. The passes by Richie and Zuccs were gorgeous. Love having two great passers setting up our best shooter.

3rd star - Hank with the shutout!

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
man, some of you guys are as obsessed with the Devils as much as you say their fans are with us...

and Clowe was at one point a much better player than Clarkson. That is no longer the case, Clarkson is the better player currently, not by much but it is at least debatable.

Kershaw

and Clowe was at one point a much better player than Clarkson. That is no longer the case, Clarkson is the better player currently, not by much but it is at least debatable.

This.

Clarkson past 2 yrs is easily better.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Clowe or Clarkson? How about neither?

Big, slow, streaky scorers that get overrated because they throw a check every once in a while.

Go after Pascal Dupuis if he reaches UFA instead.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

Big, slow, streaky scorers that get overrated because they throw a check every once in a while.

Nah, I'd rather have Alex Bourret.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Anyone have a YT of the last minute or so of the game and the salute and what not? My DVR stopped recording the game...

Kershaw

Agreed, but look at who we have in management. They put emphasis on toughness, piss and vinegar types.

One of Clowe/Clarkson will get overpaid by this management.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Agreed, but look at who we have in management. They put emphasis on toughness, piss and vinegar types.

One of Clowe/Clarkson will get overpaid by this management.

Considering we're paying so much money to Brad Richards and Nash, and in the past Gabby, i'm going to disagree that there's an emphasis on those guys.

Besides Cally, our entire top 6 (Hags-Step-Zuke-Nash-Richie) are skill/finesse guys.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
First star - The 1st line. Stepan and Callahan are beautiful together everywhere on the ice. They had a magnificent first shift to set the tone of the game and could have scored 3 more times.

2nd star - The 2nd line. The passes by Richie and Zuccs were gorgeous. Love having two great passers setting up our best shooter.

3rd star - Hank with the shutout!

Those two have been pure money when they're together. If we keep up this level of offensive and defensive play, we're going to piss off alot of people in the playoffs

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
The reason why Clowe's a more dangerous player in the O zone is because of his offensive IQ. Clarkson is as dumb as a brick. Clowe can play with anyone ranging from Thornton, to Brassard, Zuccarello, or Richards.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I keep watching the highlights, because watching the $100m man be lazy is so funny

Kovy was the worst player on the ice today. And I am usually of the opinion that he's the best winger in the game. But he was brutal today. I'd be pissed if I were Kershaw.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's always fun beating Devils plus it's good to avoid Pens. That team scares me. If we want to get out of East there is a good chance we'll have to go through Pens but I'd rather do it later.

varanger94

Jan 11, 2011
Just finished watching the game on my DVR.
Nice way to head for the Playoffs.
Deboer stated how much his guys were going to play hard. So why didn't Bordeur play. Maybe he didn't want to worsen his won loss record against Lundgvist.

Isn’t it great watching the games on NBC. A record amount of times we’re told how much the Devils didn’t come to play. We get to see Milbury in between periods. I so glad he explained that Nash was just pushed on that non-call. Now I understand. Wasn’t that great at the end of the game, seeing all the Rangers at center ice getting ready to give their Jerseys away and sure enough they break away to Milbury. I wish I could watch all the Playoff games on MSG.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Not sure if they showed it on tv, but from where I was sitting, pretty sure Torts and Deboer shook hands after the game, nice gesture by both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad