Confirmed Trade: [NJD/NYI] Devils trade Tyce Thompson to Islanders for Arnaud Durandeau

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Tyce is Tage Thompson's brother, had a great season in Providence, looked good in camp / preseason. Based on numbers it looks like he's not really developing in the AHL as hoped but I haven't seen him there. Needed a change of scenery but is already 24 and probably won't crack the NHL full time.

Yeah I expected Tyce would eventually find his way into the Sabres organization, if only to appease Tage to have his bro at camps and as a potential depth black ace.

Maybe I’m too influenced by seeing the Devils have so many sets of brothers over the years in their org (Giontas, Footes, Pandolfos, Hugheses) and having seen them lose Scott Niedermayer because he wanted to play on the same team as his brother.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I wonder if Cal will get hurt and wind up on Bailey Island as soon as Matt is healthy again. Lane seems to like doing that in hopes Wahlstrom will be the next great winger.
Unlike Bailey, Calvin is GREAT at what he does. I wouldn't mind seeing him sit every once in awhile so he can be around for the playoffs if they make it. I read a lot of negative stuff people say about him, but as long as he's healthy, I see him as an impact guy....Martin, not so much anymore

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I expected Tyce would eventually find his way into the Sabres organization, if only to appease Tage to have his bro at camps and as a potential depth black ace.

Maybe I’m too influenced by seeing the Devils have so many sets of brothers over the years in their org (Giontas, Footes, Pandolfos, Hugheses) and having seen them lose Scott Niedermayer because he wanted to play on the same team as his brother.
Maybe Lou has a deal lined up with the Sabres?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Weird trade. Durandeau has potential to be a bottom 6 guy. Brings some energy and 2way play

Same for Thompson if he gets back on track. Both players are 24 with Durandeau turning 25 in a couple months so the chances of either having much of an impact at the NHL level is slim.

Gotta give it up to Tyce's agent though - he's getting paid $775K to play in the minors this season.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Tyce had a good camp but hasn't scored enough at the AHL level, which is never a great sign. But a likable player. Some speed, solid compete, at his best pretty relentless.

I know nothing of Durandeau but like what I'm reading.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Tyce had a good camp but hasn't scored enough at the AHL level, which is never a great sign. But a likable player. Some speed, solid compete, at his best pretty relentless.

I know nothing of Durandeau but like what I'm reading.
Honestly the description for Durandeau except I’d say he has a bit more than some speed.

Reactions: Oneiro

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Tyce is Tage Thompson's brother, had a great season in Providence, looked good in camp / preseason. Based on numbers it looks like he's not really developing in the AHL as hoped but I haven't seen him there. Needed a change of scenery but is already 24 and probably won't crack the NHL full time.
Dad was the long-time head coach in Bridgeport until this year. Allows Tyce to stay at home.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Maybe Lou has a deal lined up with the Sabres?
I wonder if Buffalo will take some of Kyle’s old buddies as teammates. Anders Lee is almost the same size as Tage so it’s close enough to a fair trade.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Lou is old school. This is his MO.
I'm old school too but sometimes changing with the times is essential

i'm pretty sure Mike Reilly isn't going to make any of the top D think they are in jeopardy, and whatever this new Thompson who is on board isn't gonna motivate Capades Barzal to stop capadesing or make any of the guys on the 4th line think they are in danger

I don't know why the deal was made but if Uncle Louie truly thinks stuff like this motivates guys to play better, he is dumber than I thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad