GDT: NJD @ MIN - Call him up, Bill - 7PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
There is a difference between playing aggressively, and playing foolishly. Both Dumba and Fiala tend to mix the two up, as I detailed above.

And, this is the reason that Dumba should not be extended at 6M/yr. Somewhere between 4 and 5 maybe, but not 6.
It's also the reason that Fiala is only worth 5+M/yr.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And, this is the reason that Dumba should not be extended at 6M/yr. Somewhere between 4 and 5 maybe, but not 6.
It's also the reason that Fiala is only worth 5+M/yr.
Ya, that's not going to happen.
Dumba will be asking for 7M+, but might be convinced to stay for the same deal his buddy Brodin got. Guerin and Evason obviously value him, or they wouldn't have given him the "A".
Fiala will be asking for over 7M. I don't see him signing long term for anything less... he might come back for his final RFA year, but I don't see it happening.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Ya, that's not going to happen.
Dumba will be asking for 7M+, but might be convinced to stay for the same deal his buddy Brodin got. Guerin and Evason obviously value him, or they wouldn't have given him the "A".
Fiala will be asking for over 7M. I don't see him signing long term for anything less... he might come back for his final RFA year, but I don't see it happening.

With 3 goals and 15 points in 23 games, is Fiala worth 5M a yr?

To me, he's worth 5M a year, because he is going to end up with something like 60-65 pts. But, his crazy mind, which leads to good things, but also bad chances the other direction, is probably directly responsible for 10 goals a year for the opposition, so his value is diminished by that.

I agree he will want 7M. We obviously can't afford that, so I anticipate a trade at the TDL this year, and some other team will appreciate his one more year of RFA status, and renegotiating with him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Fiala, and love his talent. I think he just has to relax, and not try to do too much. That's when his turnovers happen. Kind of hard to convince him of that with the linemates that he has, though. Boldy can't get here soon enough.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There is a difference between playing aggressively, and playing foolishly. Both Dumba and Fiala tend to mix the two up, as I detailed above.
Yes but not pinching and always giving up the zone is turtling is it not? Just because we have a lead means don’t pinch?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes but not pinching and always giving up the zone is turtling is it not? Just because we have a lead means don’t pinch?
You don't pinch, or in his case, simply stand at the Blue line flat footed after you have lost possession, when you know that there is an opposing player 20' behind you. In general, though, you pinch more when you are behind and in the last stages of the game than you would when you are comfortably ahead...that's hockey 101. There is definitely a middle ground in between playing balls out offense and turtling. It is not an either/or choice.

The shot was on Fiala; the goal was 100% on Kahkonen.
Yeah, he had a clear view of it from a long way away. I wasn't sure if it changed direction...off Merrill's back?...it looked like it might have on the replay. If not, that's a bad goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You don't pinch, or in his case, simply stand at the Blue line flat footed after you have lost possession, when you know that there is an opposing player 20' behind you. In general, though, you pinch more when you are behind and in the last stages of the game than you would when you are comfortably ahead...that's hockey 101. There is definitely a middle ground in between playing balls out offense and turtling. It is not an either/or choice.
Yes however when you start hesitating because of caution and playing it too safe it turns into easy zone exits and a lot of defending. I’d rather keep my foot on the pedal and play the same way all game. Minute or so left in a one goal game sure ease up but until then go

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yes however when you start hesitating because of caution and playing it too safe it turns into easy zone exits and a lot of defending. I’d rather keep my foot on the pedal and play the same way all game. Minute or so left in a one goal game sure ease up but until then go

Hesitation either way usually has poor results.

There's a time and a place to pinch, and to retreat. Any good defensemen will know, generally, when to do each. It is worth pinching to have a 10% chance to score a goal but a 40% chance to give up a goal, with a 1 goal lead? No. You know your battles and pick them accordingly.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad