Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah, I would give it a slight edge over Adam Fox at 9.5 million for the next 6.5 seasons. Fox is a top 3 defensemen in the NHL and will likely be for the entirety of the contract. but Hughes at 8 million for the next 7.5 seasons is just absurd value. Hughes is still just scratching the surface of the kind of player he's going to be at age 24/25/26 in my opinion.
Fox has great hockey IQ
He's gifted offensively and its a wonder why! He is the worst skater I have ever laid eyes on, and I'm old! I mean I watched Nick Fotiu in the late 70s and he is a better skater than Fox! Which is why the IQ comment.
I completely disagree with you on his contract, Fox is terrible at playing on the d side of the puck. He's not going to get better there. Offense wise no doubt he's excellent. Jack is carving his way into superstardom, and will make the contract one of Fitzs best. Fox I don't see it getting better with age.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Fox has great hockey IQ
He's gifted offensively and its a wonder why! He is the worst skater I have ever laid eyes on, and I'm old! I mean I watched Nick Fotiu in the late 70s and he is a better skater than Fox! Which is why the IQ comment.
I completely disagree with you on his contract, Fox is terrible at playing on the d side of the puck. He's not going to get better there. Offense wise no doubt he's excellent. Jack is carving his way into superstardom, and will make the contract one of Fitzs best. Fox I don't see it getting better with age.
Fox is terrific defensively, what are you smoking?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Fox has great hockey IQ

Oh boy.

Adam Fox is one of the best players in the NHL. Top 10 for sure. He is incredibly good in his own zone.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah, I would give it a slight edge over Adam Fox at 9.5 million for the next 6.5 seasons. Fox is a top 3 defensemen in the NHL and will likely be for the entirety of the contract. but Hughes at 8 million for the next 7.5 seasons is just absurd value. Hughes is still just scratching the surface of the kind of player he's going to be at age 24/25/26 in my opinion.

Fox was always going to take less on purpose because of his love for the Rangers while Jack probably took whatever what was given to him going into 2021 off the ELC. The situations aren't comparable.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Fox has great hockey IQ
24 years-old norris winner who plays in all situations isn’t going to be better?
Also talking about being terrible in his own end is a joke.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Fox has great hockey IQ
This may be one of the most biased, idiotic takes I've seen on this forum and that's saying something.
Fox isn't a good defender, he's an outstanding defender.
The red headed step child vindictiveness is strong with you.
BTW, Hughes is a stud and his contract is a steal.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Fox is terrific defensively, what are you smoking?
Even Rags fans say he isn't. Nope not gonna get me to agree on that one. Next you'll tell me he's a good skater! ; )

Oh boy.

Adam Fox is one of the best players in the NHL. Top 10 for sure. He is incredibly good in his own zone.
Yes IQ very good, offensively very good.

24 years-old norris winner who plays in all situations isn’t going to be better?
Also talking about being terrible in his own end is a joke.
Money wise, which is what the post was, Jack's contract will be a far better return than Fox's

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This may be one of the most biased, idiotic takes I've seen on this forum and that's saying something.
Fox isn't a good defender, he's an outstanding defender.
The red headed step child vindictiveness is strong with you.
BTW, Hughes is a stud and his contract is a steal.
Bias? I said he's got great hockey IQ. I said he's great offensively. He's no where near as good defensively as his O and lastly his skating blows!
The contract part is where I totally disagreed.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Even Rags fans say he isn't. Nope not gonna get me to agree on that one. Next you'll tell me he's a good skater! ; )

Money wise, which is what the post was, Jack's contract will be a far better return than Fox's
Bizarre hill to die on. Outside of Makar and Dahlin there’s no other young defender I’d rather build my team around than him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Anyway, 29 goals and 55 points in 44 games. On pace for 54 goals and 103 points,

Even more impressive is his ES production. Hughes is 2nd in the league in ES goals (one behind Mikko Rantanen) and T-4th in ES points (behind Karlsson, McDavid, and Crosby).

NJ's PP is not good, ranked 19th in the league at 20.6%. They only have 28 PP goals this season, #1 Edmonton has 51 PP goals. Imagine if NJ's PP was working well, Hughes could easily have another ~15 points or so.

But even if he doesn't up his PP production, his ES production is phenomenal. 38 ES points in 44 games projects to 71 ES points over 82 gmes, which is a pretty big deal. Only 18 players have recorded +70 ES points in a season since the 2005 lockout, and Hughes could be on his way to being 19th in a pretty elite club:

The others on that list:
McDavid (x4)
Ovechkin (x2)
Malkin (x2)
Stamkos (x2)
Gaudreau (x2)
Crosby
Jagr
Thornton
H. Sedin
Kucherov
P. Kane
Panarin
Matthews
M. Tkachuk
Kaprizov
Huberdeau
Draisaitl
Marner

Pretty incredible for a guy making the same salary as Jacob Trouba.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I have seen exactly zero rangers fans say he is poor defensively. There's a reason he's always tops on the team in +/- and has elite defensive metrics. His defensive IQ is just as good as his offensive IQ.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Well this deal became a bargain rather quickly. Along with the fact that Nico has also broken out as a ppg player driving his own line and killing penalties has been massive. Top 2 centres locked up for 15.5 million is everything the devils could have hoped for when they drafted these guys.

This off season is incredibly crucial for the devils. They have a lot of money being freed up in a deep free agency class. They need to lock down bratt first and foremost. Nico and Jack have both been better players than him this year and the team shows a trend in the right direction. Hopefully that can convince him to sign long term around 8 million. Then they would have lots of money to get another top talent

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Bias? I said he's got great hockey IQ. I said he's great offensively. He's no where near as good defensively as his O and lastly his skating blows!
The contract part is where I totally disagreed.
I'm okay if you don't like the guy or the Rangers, but stop with the nonsense.
Most Ranger fans are quick to bury their own players if they aren't performing, unlike lots of fanbases. There is uniform praise for Fox defensively. He's almost always in the right position, he anticipates and nullifies what the offense is trying to do and he always makes the right first pass to move out of the D zone.
You really don't know what you are talking about. The more you go on, the more ignorant you look.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Fox has great hockey IQ
Any time someone replies with "I've watched hockey longer than you", this post is a perfect reminder that people can watch hockey for 50 years and still have literally NO CLUE what they are watching, holy smokes what a horrible take.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm okay if you don't like the guy or the Rangers, but stop with the nonsense.
Most Ranger fans are quick to bury their own players if they aren't performing, unlike lots of fanbases. There is uniform praise for Fox defensively. He's almost always in the right position, he anticipates and nullifies what the offense is trying to do and he always makes the right first pass to move out of the D zone.
You really don't know what you are talking about. The more you go on, the more ignorant you look.
Look at how I started my post, I complimented the guy a couple times before I said anything else. You have a great day.

Any time someone replies with "I've watched hockey longer than you", this post is a perfect reminder that people can watch hockey for 50 years and still have literally NO CLUE what they are watching, holy smokes what a horrible take.
Please watch the guy skate its horrendous! Come back and lets see.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Already a steal. Barring any injuries or something, he looks destined to become the greatest Devils forward thus far, no? It's Elias as of now but Hughes I think will peak higher. Elias had a lof of playoff success, though.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Look at how I started my post, I complimented the guy a couple times before I said anything else. You have a great day.

Please watch the guy skate its horrendous! Come back and lets see.
He may not be an aesthetically pleasing skater, but he's certainly effective. Obviously good enough to limit the opposition's scoring chances, which he does as well as anyone.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Okay, one Devils has an opinion about Fox that the rest of the Devils fans in this thread disagree with. Don’t know if we need to dwell on it.

I will say this, I wouldn’t expect Hughes or Fox to improve much from what they are now. Yes, it does happen sometimes, but many elite players hit their prime by 21-22.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Fox has great hockey IQ
Stop it. I hate the Rangers too but this is just a putrid take. Fox doesn't skate like Makar, but who the hell does. He is elite in every single sense of the term and will be a top 5 defenseman in the league for the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad