Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
No surprises that the boxscore watchers were way off with Jack.

From the get go you could see that the guy oozed talent. He's growing into his frame and hitting his stride.

As to this contract, absolute steal and it's only going to get better.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I mean WHO could’ve possibly seen this coming and him being as good as MacKinnon? It’s not like the guy had a similar pre draft pedigree and consistently showed all world talent even though the production didn’t initially come.
Hughes is awesome… but no he’s still not close to MacKinnon.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Stop it. Mackinnon is over 1.4 ppg this season and he’s been banged up for a chunk of it.

There is nothing to stop. I'm not wrong here. Hughes has literally been the better player this season.

#1 in average GS by a wide margin. #1 in GSVA. #1 in GAR and #2 in xGAR. 2nd in 5v5 goals. 2nd in 5v5 pts. 8th in goals. 8th in pts. 12th in AS P/60 (MacK is 10th but only ahead because of his 2nd assists). 9th in G/60. 4th in 5v5 G/60. 6th in 5v5 P/60.

The ONLY player better than Hughes this year is McDavid.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Jack is a great player, my son loves his play.
For me, I don't really care about the Devils but I'm happy to see them play exciting and watchable hockey, they're really fun to watch!

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He’s definitely not proven long term like Mackinnon, but his first long term contract is certainly looking equally “team-friendly”.
Oh yeah it’s a steal of a contract, up there with Tage for the best. But Hughes will have to keep up this pace and then some for at least another season or 2 before he’s up there with MacKinnon.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
You’re right. He’s been better this season.
Hughes is great but Mackinnon is better than him. I can see the comparison between them as far as undervalued first contracts, but Mackinnon is a beast offensively and defensively. He's been a top 10 player for many years at this point. The guy has been injured since the summer when he won the Stanley Cup and is scoring at a 128 point pace per 82 games. Jack has been heathier than Nate, but he's not reached Nate's level at this point

Jack is a superstar and he's only 21 years old. He has so much control on the ice, it was only a matter of time that he would figure out how to score at the NHL level. He can be so dominant and he's only getting better and better. I can't wait to see how good he is for the life of this deal, he's a true franchise player

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Hughes is underpaid lol. He also has some of the best 5 on 5 numbers in the nhl, that includes better than McDavid.
0C52498C-3034-44FF-902E-9E1C1D4F9CDD.png

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hughes is awesome… but no he’s still not close to MacKinnon.

“Not close” is an over exaggeration. Excluding McDavid (who’s on his own level), Mackinnon is on the top tier of forwards along with Draisatl, Kucherov, Matthews, Crosby (still?), and maybe one or two others I’m forgetting. But I think Hughes is comfortably in the tier directly underneath with a very good chance of making the jump as soon as next season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This might be the best longterm contract in the NHL. This deal, the Tage Thompson contract, and the Adam Fox contract are looking like the next 5+ years versions of current day Mackinnon, Marchand, Pastrnak contracts.

It is the best pretty clearly.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Hughes is great but Mackinnon is better than him. I can see the comparison between them as far as undervalued first contracts, but Mackinnon is a beast offensively and defensively. He's been a top 10 player for many years at this point. The guy has been injured since the summer when he won the Stanley Cup and is scoring at a 128 point pace per 82 games. Jack has been heathier than Nate, but he's not reached Nate's level at this point

Jack is a superstar and he's only 21 years old. He has so much control on the ice, it was only a matter of time that he would figure out how to score at the NHL level. He can be so dominant and he's only getting better and better. I can't wait to see how good he is for the life of this deal, he's a true franchise player

I’ll say it again. 1st in average GS. 2nd in GSVA. 1st in GAR. 2nd in xGAR. Hughes has been better this season. Hughes has been better than everyone besides McDavid.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It is the best pretty clearly.
Yeah, I would give it a slight edge over Adam Fox at 9.5 million for the next 6.5 seasons. Fox is a top 3 defensemen in the NHL and will likely be for the entirety of the contract. but Hughes at 8 million for the next 7.5 seasons is just absurd value. Hughes is still just scratching the surface of the kind of player he's going to be at age 24/25/26 in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad