NJD fans who remember- the early 90s Devils between their 1988 and 1994 playoff runs

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
For longtime Devils fans from back in the day when red/green were the primary colors, I'm interested to get your thought on the team during that 5 season stretch in between their defining playoff runs in 1988-1994 to game 7 of the Wales/Eastern Conference Finals. Those Devils teams were pretty interesting and intriguing in a way.

Before they became the consistent contender, powerhouse, and Cup holder that they would become for a decade, New Jersey in the early 90s was a team that went through a lot of transistion.

It all began of course with the famous Schoenfeld 1988 playoff run (Burke's Olympic callup, John MacLean's OT goal on the final day of the season in Chicago, playoff upsets over the Islanders and Capitals, Have another doughnut) that took them, like a few years later, to game 7 of the conference finals.

That was followed by a five season stretch where they seemed to be a bit in flux behind the bench and perhaps on the ice in some ways (coaches, goalies, roster moves), but seemed to flash potential that was waiting to be fulfilled.

Jacques Lemaire became head coach and we all know what happened in 1993-94 when they began their run in which they would be a major force, defensive juggernaut, and an annual Cup threat year after year.

Before that, it was an interesting stretch.

Priot to Lemaire, New Jersey had had 4 different head coaches at some point from 1989-90 to 1992-93 (Schoenfeld, John Cunniff, John McVie, Herb Brooks).

They made a lot of player transistions- Fetisov and the Pat Verbeek/Sylvain Turgeon transaction before 1989-90, a 1990 in-season trade for Peter Stastny, Claude Lemieux before 1990-91, Scott Stevens/Stephane Richer/Kirk Muller before 1991-92, the drafting of Niedermayer and Brodeur.

Their records were hovering around .500 (37-34-9, 32-33-15, 38-31-11, 40-37-7), but they were able to get into the playoffs each time (and as it turned out all but three times from 1988-2012).

In 1991-92, they actually had the 5th best record in their conference, but the divisional playoff format of that era trapped them against the #1 overall Rangers instead of getting to play a weaker Adams Division foe.

Looking back, considering the job McVie did in '92 (first year of Stevens/Niedermayer), I'm surprised they didn't give him another year.

They gave the Patrick Division first-place teams a tough time in 1991 and 1992 in seven game series- had the Penguins on the brink of elimination before Sidorkiewicz made "The Save" and were up 2-1 on the President's Trophy Rangers of '92, instances where you could see strides being made.

They became a more offensive minded team under Herb Brooks in 1993 (308 goals for, a then-franchise record 40 wins, Craig Billington was an All Star) but lost on the final night of the season against the Islanders, blew a chance to avoid the red-hot Penguins, and ended up going out early.

And despite those plusses, there seemed to be too many minuses and thus Brooks ended up one-and-done, setting the stage for you-know-who.

Chris Terreri, Sean Burke, and Billington seemed to be consistently inconsistent- they had their moments at times (Billington and Burke each were one-time All-Stars), but not enough to lift them to better records and avoiding fourth place in the Patrick Division (of course the playoff format at the time didn't help in a usually tough Patrick Division).

What did you make of these versions of the Devils in between their famous playoff runs to game 7 of the conference finals? Did you feel they were on the verge of something potentially big, or did they seem like potential underachievers that didn't quite put it all together at the time and needed the right mix (Lemaire, Brodeur) to put themselves over the top and set the stage for their run of Cup greatness?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Those weren't really the years of Red and Green. They switch over in 1992.

NHL 75th Anniversary season 1991-92 was the last Green year. Stevens 1st year.

I was 18 in 1988, and I probably went to 30 of 40 games during those years until I left for school.

I always felt that the 1988 team was a Cinderella team. Like the 1980 US Olympic team. In 1988 there was Gretzky, Lemieux, Kurri, Messier Coffey the Canadiens had Bobby Smith, Guy Carbonneau, Larry Robinson, Chris Chelios...we weren't any of that that, we were upstarts and we knew it. But we got out of the basement and saw a little light for the first time and it felt good.

After 1988 there was a lot of rumblings that players weren't happy Muller and Verbeek especially...a lot of those guys ended up having contentious relationships with Lou. Some said the players ran the show or at least tried and that's why they both were shipped out. So for me, at the time nothing special felt like it was happening. It still very much felt like a marginal franchise. Mickey mouse was shed away in 1988 but not much more.

Then Scott Stevens came. I hated losing Shannahan and so did a lot of people. You didn't see as many fans with jerseys back in the day but if you did, they were wearing a #9 Muller jersey or a #11 Shanny jersey. So by 1991 Muller was gone, Verbeek was gone, Shannahan was gone and it really felt more like things were falling apart than getting better...and in the era of high flying offense getting a defenseman after losing all those beloved forwards didn't really make things better. Or so I thought at first.

Scott Stevens changed the Devils immediately. There was New confidence with the team that we never saw before. It was a swagger. It was a team that was going to fight every night. Still wasn't a great team but it was a fun team to watch with Claude Lemieux, Richer and Stevens. They were tough workmen like, a refection of their coach Tommy McVie.

Tom McVie was named coach that year and Herb Brooks was hired to coach Utica at the same time.

Herb Brooks was the worst coach in Devil's history. And they screwed Tom McVie...they hired Brooks to their AHl team and no matter what McVie did with the big club that season he was losing his job to Brooks. McVie had the Devil's playing the best they ever had since the franchise moved to NJ but that job was never his.

Brooks came in and talked about "5 man units.". Nobody knew what the hell he was talking about, I don't think he did either. The team looked like crap. It looked like there was no structure and they were improvising...they couldn't fire Brooks quick enough in my opinion he was a disaster. Brooks was an amateur coach, good one but not a Pro in my opinion. He set the Devils back a year in my opinion.

All during those years Lou was supposedly asking Lemaire to come to New Jersey and he always declined and with the departure of Brooks came the real beginning of success. Jaques Lemaire changed everything. That was the beginning of the new era.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brooks was definitely not a good head coach at the NHL level. Any Rangers fans from the 80’s will probably agree, from when he was there. He was a sexy name and reputation, due to the 1980 Olympics.

I think in 1993 we finally got a hell of a head coach and we got Brodeur in his first full NHL season. Goaltending was a real sore spot for much of the early years here. Billington was okay, kind of a stop gap. Terreri was a fine backup/1b but never the guy. Burke wasn’t worth bragging about as a Devil after those 2 months in 1988. He wasn’t really good as a Devil.

It’s funny that people would compare the Hitchcock Blues to the Devils championship teams, but they reminded me more of the modern day 89-93 Devils. I think Aethon gave a pretty good synopsis. I’m not quite as old as him, but was following the team religiously already in those years. I was a big fan of Muller early on. I even have his jersey from back then. He’s definitely right, that you saw a lot of Muller Jersey’s and Shanahan at the time, if any. Shanahan was a very heralded prospect at the time. He was looked at as the best player we had ever drafted at the time and is probably still the best forward that we ever drafted.

I feel like the 89-93 teams were usually missing a pretty good goalie, had some suspect coaches and a few other pieces to complete the puzzle. Like Bobby Holik coming in back in 92-93. He became our big shutdown guy during those glory years.

It was also good that we did move on from Muller, as his career went downhill by the time we were a championship team. He was no longer an elite offensive talent by the mid 90’s.

Reactions: Aethon

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I started really following the team in '92-'93. They were quite a bit different from the Lemaire years, much more wide open. My favorite players that year were Alexander Semak (who scored 79 points that year), and Craig Billington (in what would his only All Star year).

The next year IIRC Semak totally blew out a knee and was never the same player, and Billington ended up traded to Ottawa where he was subsequently shelled worse than the Normandy beach head. We ended up with Peter "I can't stop a beach ball" Sidorkiewicz out of that deal (one of Lou's worst), who ended his illustrious Devils career with a record of 0-3-0.

Reactions: HBK27 and Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I started really following the team in '92-'93. They were quite a bit different from the Lemaire years, much more wide open. My favorite players that year were Alexander Semak (who scored 79 points that year), and Craig Billington (in what would his only All Star year).

The next year IIRC Semak totally blew out a knee and was never the same player, and Billington ended up traded to Ottawa where he was subsequently shelled worse than the Normandy beach head. We ended up with Peter "I can't stop a beach ball" Sidorkiewicz out of that deal (one of Lou's worst), who ended his illustrious Devils career with a record of 0-3-0.
Semak and Kevin Todd .Two of my favorite flashes in the pan.

But at least Semak (and Ben Hankinson ) brought us Shawn Chambers who was huge in the 95 playoffs

Those two looked like they were going to be the answer to our center problems... We seemed to have center depth problems from the beginning all the way to 1999 in NJ.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They were good teams, legit playoff teams and definitely a step up from what we had endured before. Other than 1988 however we just never seemed to get that bigtime playoff goaltending. Burke could never replicate that run. Terreri battled but he was way to small.

Thought we definitely could've beaten Washington in 1990. Losing game 1 in OT hurt after coming back from 5-3 in the 3rd to tie it at 5-5.

1991 the Pens got all the luck in that series

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

But at least Semak (and Ben Hankinson ) brought us Shawn Chambers who was huge in the 95 playoffs

Those two looked like they were going to be the answer to our center problems... We seemed to have center depth problems from the beginning all the way to 1999 in NJ.

Denis Pederson was supposed to remedy some of that but he was awful. Christian Berglund underwhelmed too

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Denis Pederson was supposed to remedy some of that but he was awful. Christian Berglund underwhelmed too
Pederson started out pretty well. He had a solid rookie year but never progressed. At least he helped return Mogilny

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I totally forgot he was part of the Chambers deal. And I definitely agree with you, I think Chambers is one the most under-rated Devils of all time. He was awesome in the '95 playoffs.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The 88 Cinderella run is what converted me (I was an Islander fan previously). I was going to Stevens Institute in Hoboken at the time, so the arena was right around the corner and I managed to have enough money to go to all the playoff games. I actually still have my unused tickets to the finals (had we made it). Two years later I became a partial season ticket holder.

To be honest, before 94, the thought of winning a cup wasn't really in my head. I just wanted to win a couple playoff series. Winning the cup was just a "maybe someday" dream.

Unfortunately, I'm cursed with horrible memory, but what I do remember was that I was hopeful for deep playoff runs in a couple of those years. The one year I was pissed off at the most was losing to the Penguins because a Laurie Boschman goal was called back because the refs thought he kicked it in (he didn't).

I loved Herb Brooks, but not as an NHL coach. He had this weird system where players were supposed to constantly circle in their positions. Maybe it worked in college, but I had the distinct feeling that not a single pro player bought in to the system.

To me, the problem with Pederson and all those energy/grinder types was that my favorite player at the time was Dougie Brown, and I was comparing all of them to Brown. Dougie still remains probably my favorite player of all time. Not very talented, but an unrelenting worker - although he DID seem to fall a lot.

I liked McVie, but unfortunately he's going to go down as the coach who lost us Mario Lemeuix a few seasons earlier. He stepped in at the end of the 83-84 season and started winning us games. I think fans never forgave him.

The biggest turning point was being awarded Stevens. I remember hearing the news on the radio, and like a minute later passing a friend of mine on the road, waiving him down, and discussing the news in the parking lot of a 7-eleven. I was kind of hopping up and down in excitement (litterally) saying "we got Stevens" over and over.

When we brought up Brodeur, I didn't think much of him. I guess I liked Terrari. I cringed every time he came far out of the net and remember yelling "Who do you think you are? Ron Hextal?". The first time I remember him playing was against the Rangers in the playoffs. Terreri was injured and the backup (I think it was Billington) gave up 5 goals, so we stuck him in. He did well.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
We were a good under the radar success story in 1993-1994. Rangers were getting all of the attention that year as you'd imagine but we quietly built a nice little powerhouse. Brodeur made such a difference over Billington. You saw great potential in guys like Guerin as a budding power forward. Carpenter reinvented himself into a valuable checking forward. Nicholls came aboard and gave us some important depth scoring. That team was deep and could beat you a lot of ways. The 9th and 10th scoring forwards on our team had 33 points each (Carpenter & Holik) They had 14 guys in double digits goals. Everybody chipped in.

The Rags were outright dead in game 6. Dano has mentioned that game and just how defeated they looked before the timeout.

The Kovalev goal wasn't an easy stop but the first Messier goal in the 3rd Brodeur has to stop

Last edited:
Reactions: AZviaNJ and Aethon

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have numerous anecdotal memories of those teams. On some level I think you knew that Lou knew what he was doing as the team became a stable team and at least improved. His trade of Kurvers for the Niedermayer pick and his argument to the arbitrator to get STEVENS stood out. He also presided over Fetisov and Kasatonov arriving. I always enjoyed watching the Russians as they seems like living history to me at the time.

That said even then I had some sense that Lou was a hard headed guy and McMullen was over his head when it came to paying players. I recall even Dano held out for a day over his contract even though he was near tears the next day and crawled back to Lou and signed a contract. Every significant player contract signing was an ordeal. I think it led to Muller wanting out.

The team never had the coaching to really advance in the playoffs. I recall a playoff series where Brooks actually said in the paper there was a sense that the players thought the coach had run out of Xs and Os.

It was pretty obvious that Lemaire and the Montreal guys like Robinson were dramatically better than anything that had come before them.

Reactions: HBK27 and Aethon

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Good thread.

I'd be lying if I said I thought "great things" were about to happen, but it was an exciting time to be a Devils fan.

Coming off the "Mickey Mouse" era when every night you tuned in to see your team lose, it was like that cloud was lifted. The Stanley Cup wasnt even a possibility, just MAKING the playoffs was the goal. IMO, the 1988 season is still one of the greatest seasons in Devils history, regardless of the final result.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
McMullen was hard up for money in the early 90's and just barely held it together owning this team. It was probably worse than let on by the media (who let's face it is rarely interested in what we do as is). He gained a miserly reputation as a result. I wonder how things would've worked out if he was forced to sell to owners with deeper pockets who kept the team in Jersey. Would they have kept Lou aboard? Would they have marketed the team?

Lou was stubborn and tight fisted by nature so I think he actually got a rise out of these grinding contract battles :D but they really were a necessity at the time. It was quite remarkable what Lou was able to construct with so limited resources compared to other teams.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pederson started out pretty well. He had a solid rookie year but never progressed. At least he helped return Mogilny

Peterson ruined his career by trying to play a tough guy role with fighting.

He wasn't a tough guy and he took too many fists to his head.
He could havE been a good 3rd line center.

I wonder if our coaches asked him to play out of character?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Early 90s we couldn't get past a stacked Pitts team or the Rags because of shoddy goaltending by Terreri and when a Boschman goal was taken away vs Pitts in a Game 6. When it should have counted.

94 was lost when we just couldn't get that 3rd goal vs Richter in the 2nd period in Game 6.
He stood on his head but we also didn't shoot well and finish around 8 glorious prime chances.

We go up 3-0 and the Rags don't come back.
Marty melted in the 3rd period too but he was outstanding for a rookie that series.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Early 90s we couldn't get past a stacked Pitts team or the Rags because of shoddy goaltending by Terreri and when a Boschman goal was taken away vs Pitts in a Game 6. When it should have counted.

94 was lost when we just couldn't get that 3rd goal vs Richter in the 2nd period in Game 6.
He stood on his head but we also didn't shoot well and finish around 8 glorious prime chances.

We go up 3-0 and the Rags don't come back.
Marty melted in the 3rd period too but he was outstanding for a rookie that series.

Brodeur was incredible in Game 7 and held us in when the Devils were pretty much out of gas. If you watch that game we were in quicksand the entire 3rd. Dead on our feet when we should've been pressing. The Zelepukin goal was like our only legit scoring chance in forever

That was a very Schneider type game for him. Two goals he absolutely has to stop but 46 saves. Some spectacular

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Brodeur was incredible in Game 7 and held us in when the Devils were pretty much out of gas. If you watch that game we were in quicksand the entire 3rd. Dead on our feet when we should've been pressing. The Zelepukin goal was like our only legit scoring chance in forever

That was a very Schneider type game for him. Two goals he absolutely has to stop but 46 saves. Some spectacular

I don't see any comparison between the Great Martin Brodeur in his vintage years and Cory.

Marty was phenomenal all series vs the Rags. And as a rookie.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Brodeur was also a rookie that year playing on a massive stage. Throughout 94 Fetisov and Niefermayer were pretty flaky on defense. Replacing Fetisov with Chambers was a big reason for a different result in 1995 in my opinion.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I don't see any comparison between the Great Martin Brodeur in his vintage years and Cory.

Marty was phenomenal all series vs the Rags. And as a rookie.

Just game 7, 1994. This is what Cory is being criticized for. Good games but giving up the one fluky bad goal at the wrong time.

Brodeur was very very good against the Rangers that series. He was not phenomenal. If he was phenomenal we'd have 4 Cups now, not 3.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Just game 7, 1994. This is what Cory is being criticized for. Good games but giving up the one fluky bad goal at the wrong time.

We could have lost in OT a half dozen times if not for unbelievable Marty saves.

We only had a handful of scoring chances in the extra time, Johnny Mac was about a foot away of banging in a rebound.

The losing goal was bounced in off our player too.

But, we won 3 Cups afterwards.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
my earliest memories of going to devils games (started in 94) was going in the hopes of seeing that new brodeur kid. whenever we went to a game and marty played, my brother would complain that his boy (terreri) wasn't playing. i didn't have any way of knowing who was better, i just loved watching marty make these acrobatic stops, racing out to play a puck, etc.

brendan byrne arena had some slammin ass pretzels too, i remember that. and the raucous, rocking bridge that went from the parking lot to the arena. man those were good times

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Brodeur was also a rookie that year playing on a massive stage. Throughout 94 Fetisov and Niefermayer were pretty flaky on defense. Replacing Fetisov with Chambers was a big reason for a different result in 1995 in my opinion.

Fetisov's skating was already not what it used to be when he came over. He was only good when we got him not the great player once known on the world stage. By his second NHL season he was just average. It was cool having him here but you'd never know what he once was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad